Strings

Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
05/15/2002 2:37 am
a few things-

1. What strings do you use, and what gauge? (state if its for electric or acoustic too)
2. How high is the action on your guitar?
3. When i went into a guitar store today and asked for a pack of Fender 12.'s ( i dont know the whole list of numbers), they said it was too heavy, i said mind your own business, then they said "hey kid we'll give you 11's" so i just took the 11s...are 12's too heavy? i like the heavyness a whole lot, sounds better, plus my acoustic is at like 13 or 14.

*** The strings were for my electric***
# 1
Slasha
Slasha
05/15/2002 2:45 am
i really like the ernie ball heavy bottom skinny top. I can kind of get the best of both worlds. I've never really tried Fender strings, so i dont know what to tell you. But I think heavy IS GOOD!!! Maybe you could give ernie balls a shot and see how you like em!!!

Good luck!
:cool: Slasha
\ /
Keep Pickin'
!!!!!!!!!!!

# 2
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
05/15/2002 3:01 am
well see- i really love elixirs! my acoustic has elixir strings, they are excellent. but i couldnt find any electric elixirs that were higher than 10's, so i just got the fender 11's. there are fender 12's, which i will get (or if i can find some 13's) once my fingers get completely used to the 11's.
# 3
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
Pantallica1
Insert witty remark here
05/15/2002 3:11 am
I like the Ernie Ball super slinky's for electric, great for bending and they're light.
Sometimes I hit notes only dogs can hear.
# 4
trendkillah
trendkillah
05/15/2002 9:26 am
Originally posted by Incidents Happen
a few things-

1. What strings do you use, and what gauge? (state if its for electric or acoustic too)
2. How high is the action on your guitar?
3. When i went into a guitar store today and asked for a pack of Fender 12.'s ( i dont know the whole list of numbers), they said it was too heavy, i said mind your own business, then they said "hey kid we'll give you 11's" so i just took the 11s...are 12's too heavy? i like the heavyness a whole lot, sounds better, plus my acoustic is at like 13 or 14.

*** The strings were for my electric***

1. I use either D'addario or Dean Markley 011's.(for electric)
2. I have no idea how high, bit higher than average probaqbly.
3. In theory, 012's are not too heavy, BUT, most guitars aren't suited to be strung with em without modifying it a bit. I'm talking about the nut of the guitar not being able to fit such thick strings, and the truss rod and intonation will need adjusting.(locking nuts seem to take heavy strings better though)
Anyway, it might be possible your guitar is not able to be strung with 012's, but don't just take no for an answer, get them to explain to you why.
# 5
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
05/15/2002 11:43 am
I use GHS Boomers (Electric) in .012 guage with about a medium action. My Strat and Telecaster didn't have any problems switching over to them.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 6
FretSlug
FretSlug
05/15/2002 5:04 pm
Am I the only pure (wannabe) shredder posting a reply? Lolzor. I use Dr 0.09-0.42 Heh.. PErhaps you guys play a bit different music than I do.. Or atleast I find it quite hard to play as fast as you can with thick strings, but that's just my opinion..
"If practise makes perfect, and no one is perfect, why practise? Duh.."
# 7
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
05/15/2002 10:16 pm
Of course it is. Hand me a Jackson or BC Rich with a low action, 9s, and a good distortion box and I'll throw down some speed. Not ungodly speed, but pretty fast none the less. I'll also break the high e, and quite possibly the b and d strings in about ten minutes.

I get heavy strings because I break fewer strings that way and because I like the tone MUCH better. So I end up playing slower and with stronger hands. Big deal.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 8
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
05/16/2002 1:50 am
First: I'm apalled at the treatment you got from the shop staff! :mad:

Second: I use D'Addario strings exclusively. On my electrics I use either EXL115 or EXL115W. The EXL115 set is .011", .014", .018, .028", .038", .049". The EXL115W set is the same, except it has a wound .021" G string.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 9
kingdavid
kingdavid
05/16/2002 8:33 am
Since this is a thread about strings,I'll put this here:
My third string always has the wounding coming off at the frets.Always.Whatever brand I buy.
Does this happen to you?
Third string from the high E.
The one played by your middle finger whne you play a standard D chord.
I gather these things (string numbers)don't always mean the same thing to everyone.
# 10
HELLion
HELLion
05/16/2002 9:32 am
I use D`Addario strings. 0,09-0,046 strings. Playing with these strings for me is a lot easier... Soft touch... :) lol
...ā€ cruelty brought thee orchidsā€ ...
# 11
TheElectricSnep
TheElectricSnep
05/16/2002 9:48 am
Originally posted by trendkillah
3. In theory, 012's are not too heavy, BUT, most guitars aren't suited to be strung with em without modifying it a bit. I'm talking about the nut of the guitar not being able to fit such thick strings, and the truss rod and intonation will need adjusting.(locking nuts seem to take heavy strings better though)
Anyway, it might be possible your guitar is not able to be strung with 012's, but don't just take no for an answer, get them to explain to you why. [/B]

I Managed to fit 11's to my strat once without adjustng the truss rod.....i was told never to adjust it myself. If you'e going to adjust the rod or the locking nuts what do you have to do exactly and what difference does it make?

I've also got a les paul which has no adjustable truss rod......what do i adjust to put thicker strings on that?
'There's no such thing as bad weather, there's only the wrong clothes...'
# 12
James8831
James8831
05/16/2002 12:09 pm
http://www.frets.com/FRETSPages/Musician/GenSetup/TrussRods/TrussRodAdj/tradj.html

http://www.geocities.com/chrisdavis_1/TRUSSRODADJUSTMENT.html

leave it alone unless you've got big problems! Even if you've got big problems, ask one of us and/or take it to a repairer.. they won't charge the earth.
It's used to set the amount of relief or "gap-under the strings",but can be vexatious and it AINT a toy.

^Chacron^ - some nuts may be cut a "Bit too wide" and accept larger gauge strings, but, a properly cut nut for 9 gauge strings will likely "pinch" 11s -because precision files should be used to cut the string slots..

-this causes ..problems,such as excess friction (ie,trem will not return to pitch) and 'storing' tension in the length from the tuner to the nut - incorrect tuning and intonation..best to get these done by repairers as well, really..can be a pig to get right.

I've just put a graphite nut on my Kramer as the cheap plastic one was cut too wide/deep and was a general pain,but, i have nut files ( http://www.stewmac.com ) and several years of ruining nuts and bending rods (jk) behind me :)

The truss rod for a Gibson should be just behind the nut,under a plate,although it's not unheard of for BOLT ON neck guitars to have the rod adjustment at the body/heel end.. got a cheapy which has this, like i say truss rod and nut adjustment are every day jobs for repairers so shouldn't cost much for them to do for you.
Accuracy,you say? hmm interesting concept..
# 13
Slasher
Slasher
05/16/2002 9:15 pm
Just to go back to strings being too thick for the nut. In my naive younger days I had a low E string that was 52, which was too heavy, the guy in the shop gave me wrong ones by accident. Anyway, I tried to push it down into the groove n I snapped the end of the nut off. By the way I use Ernie Ball 11-48, religiously, n I just restrung em today. I just love restringin my axe's really relaxes me.
Remember, the chickens that fly will always beat the rubber plants that bounce!
# 14
Incidents Happen
Incidents Happen
05/17/2002 2:01 am
Originally posted by kingdavid
My third string always has the wounding coming off at the frets.Always.Whatever brand I buy.
Does this happen to you?
I gather these things (string numbers)don't always mean the same thing to everyone.

um...you should be playing the D Chord with the 1st Finger on the G string, 2nd finger on the High E, and 3rd finger on the B string. Unless you mean D Minor...
# 15
AndyP
AndyP
05/17/2002 8:45 am
Sorry to go back to truss rods but I wanted to ask about when I took my accustic guitar to a so called profesional to get adjusted after my strings started to buzz. Not only was the action stupidly high after he abused my guitar but afterwards I noticed that when you looked at neck from the side there were hundreds of what looked like cracks all the way down it. Did he totally wreck my guitar?
# 16
kingdavid
kingdavid
05/17/2002 9:41 am
Originally posted by Incidents Happen

um...you should be playing the D Chord with the 1st Finger on the G string, 2nd finger on the High E, and 3rd finger on the B string. Unless you mean D Minor...

--2--- F#
----3 D
--2--- A
------ D(open.played).
------ A(not played).
------ Low E(not played).
What chord is this?
# 17
James8831
James8831
05/17/2002 11:44 am
Does this happen to you?

for your last post - Yes this is a D(Maj) chord. Usually the first 4 strings (from the thinnest e string are played),including the open 4th string and....... yes the winding comes off my acoustic strings more,they rub on the frets and are made of softer outer windings than electric strings.

cheers.
Accuracy,you say? hmm interesting concept..
# 18
TommyBoyFury
TommyBoyFury
05/17/2002 9:52 pm
Geez, The Messa Kicks Marshalls ASS. Its awesome sounding. There is a local band I go and see (GlassHouse) cause the guitarist is amazing,(sounds just like paul gilbert, and thats no joke!) and he uses it, along with Tone Zone HS3 pick-ups. The fisrst time I heard it i was stunned, the sound is excellent. So I say Forget Marshall unless you are a chord man. There ok for chords, but try and play real fast and the sound will break up.
# 19
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
05/17/2002 10:22 pm
Wrong thread?
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.