Whats your poison?

Slasher
Slasher
05/08/2002 11:15 pm
You know when you've just finished a gig, whether it be in a bar, club, arena, staduim(you never know! one day maybe) and your adrenalines still pumping, there's groupies(again, it could happen) tryin to get at you, you make it to the bar or dressin room, or whatever. And your really in need of a drink. What drink would go for? Me personally gunna go for the stereotyped Jack Daniel's straight up. Coz the party shouldn't finish at the end of a performance!
Remember, the chickens that fly will always beat the rubber plants that bounce!
# 1
Blaksmith
Blaksmith
05/09/2002 1:28 am
You know when you've just finished a gig, whether it be in a bar, club, arena, staduim(you never know! one day maybe)

AND you REALLY need a drink? That is a tough one.... I mean, I guess the show is over and the work is done? I already know what I screwed up in the show, what worked with the audience and what stiffed, because I am way more polished than I need to be...

O.K., I am being an ass... What I am trying to say is that you have done the show. Time to go over it with the band and see if there are any things that need attention... Look at what worked and where people got up to go to the bar because they were bored. Set structure, lights, equalization... any thing that will get them back next time.

JD will always be there. Have some water to start, get re-hydrated... grab a shower and meet the groupies when you don't smell like a goat. Get your ass home safe 'cause the limo broke down (it could happen) and have a couple of drinks within stumbling distance of the bed.

Are you just dreaming or are you a serious player? Slasher, it's the music and the show. Booze is secondary... work out the show, there is plenty of time for JD when you are rich and famous. ( It CAN happen)

:D
# 2
mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/09/2002 1:47 am
To go over the performance and talk about mistakes
sounds, no offence, really boring.
Im sure its the right way to do it but still,
a stiff drink is always nice after a gig.
The way I see it, the gig's over when I leave the scene.
Then if there's something that you need to discuss,
wait until tomorrow.
Sit back/go nuts and have a cold beer.
Just think "ok that was awesome, everybody loved us"
and then in the morning, you can talk about how much
you sucked (if you did).

# 3
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
05/09/2002 3:22 pm
Yesterday, I jammed with a guy that sounded EXACTLY like the young Joe COCKER. It was amazing. We played some of his standards, and the audience enjoyed the thing.
After a while, he comes up to me and asks me if I smoke. I can see that he is holding a majijuana cigarette (what's the name of those in english?) so I tell him that I don't (actually, I don't even smoke cigarettes). After a while we go back to jam on other standards, well, after a couple of drinks actually, and the guy started to sound like ****. He even got real mad because the drummer screwed up a little on the tempo, and he just left the stage, to start dancing on the floor, amidst the public.

So here's my contribution. Alcohol is a drug, tobacco is a drug, majijuana is a drug. It screws up your playing and/or your singing. I think the rock and roll attitude sucks, since all the guys I see having this attitude don't get the jobs playing rock and roll. I live a clean life, and I'm a pro musician, and I'm planning on doing it for a long time.
# 4
James8831
James8831
05/09/2002 3:44 pm
Originally posted by lalimacefolle
I can see that he is holding a majijuana cigarette (what's the name of those in english?) so I tell him that I don't (actually, I don't even smoke cigarettes). After a while we go back to jam on other standards, well, after a couple of drinks actually, and the guy started to sound like ****. He even got real mad because the drummer screwed up a little on the tempo, and he just left the stage, to start dancing on the floor, amidst the public.

So here's my contribution. Alcohol is a drug, tobacco is a drug, majijuana is a drug. It screws up your playing and/or your singing. I think the rock and roll attitude sucks, since all the guys I see having this attitude don't get the jobs playing rock and roll. I live a clean life, and I'm a pro musician, and I'm planning on doing it for a long time.

You can call 'em Joints,reefer..etc,etc.. and I gave all that shhit up because of .. similar reasons to what you state above.

I disagree with the cigarettes screwing you up..obviously except for long term damage AND I IN NO WAY ADVOCATE OR PROMOTE SMOKING..I like a beer and a cig.but would never play when i'd had a skinful.. except for jamming when it can ease some tensions ..you're quite right it's unprofessional..even if i am an amateur..afterwards a few lagers can help the female situation, but it depends on an individual situation ..sometimes one feels like a drink sometimes not.

Even the few jams i had stoned were fecked up because we'd get stuck in the same chord sequence..endlessly.
Accuracy,you say? hmm interesting concept..
# 5
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
05/09/2002 3:51 pm
that's true, smoking tobacco doesn't make your playing suck. But it's the whole Addiction stuff that's scary.

(For the Joint, we say the same in french..)
# 6
Slasher
Slasher
05/09/2002 6:13 pm
Just to go back to the talking about the gig afterwards. I leave it to the morning after, coz to me playin a show is just one big party, so enjoy it as much as you can, and discuss the performance and improvements the next day. And yes I am serious about playing in the whole staduim thing, it's the only thing I have drive about, but I'm very pesimistic hence the one day, maybe. As for drugs and alcohol n smokes. I don't do drugs at all, only because I've never been round them, but it never seems good to be high while playin. Same with drink, I wouldn't play whilst drunk, I mean after the show. Smokes any time any day even when I am playing, coz that looks cool.
Remember, the chickens that fly will always beat the rubber plants that bounce!
# 7
skee1
High Bandwidth
skee1
High Bandwidth
05/09/2002 9:55 pm
When i get done with a gig where ever it is i pack my
stuff up .Then we all load it in the trailer that we
pull behind our van.After that its unwind time (period).
We don't talk music we might talk about life its self
or what movie we would like to see or just try and relaxe.
We might stop along the road and get something to eat or
drink.Oh yea i like a big glass of milk which seems to
help me unwind.The other guys in the band might drink
coffie or pop plus mabee eat a sandwich ect.
We take turns on who dos the driving so if i'm not driving
i might just put an old movie in the vcr and watch it
mabee an old classic bogart movie i like the old classics.
Really we don't want to hear any music after playing the gig.And yes we avoid drunks or pot heads they sound like
broken records thier going no-where but down the more they smoke or drink.And they also tend to make no-sence we don't need them.We all have familys so yea we might talk
about our familys and home.
OH we might say did you hear about that blank Band broke up.ect ect.zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Mark

yours truly Mark Toman
# 8
Bardsley
Bardsley
05/10/2002 4:03 am
what about Coke? I regard that as scarier than beer! Just kidding, sort of...
For me, it really depends on where I'm playing. Generally, however, I must admit that i'm so wired after a gig that I like to have maybe two beers after packing up, etc. back at home with the band because otherwise I stay up all night thinking of different ways I could have soloed, thinking over the songs endlessly, etc.
Often I won't drink anything, it's more the ability to have a quiet chat with the band, and to "chill" a little. Occaisionally I've smoked a bit of a joint, but it's so rare that I have any interest in touching the stuff, usually because I hate the feeling of trying to read or write and knowing that I am a little stoned. I know why so many musicians do it though, it can be great at relaxing yourself, but that's why it's so dangerous, because it can seem so nice.
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 9
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
05/10/2002 9:57 am
milk and almond syrup, and i'm thankful to the lord for the best drink i've ever tasted...
seriously, it's very nice, very sweet, so you dont just gulp it down to quench your thirst...but stay away from the almond syrup used for cooking, that stuff is very bitter, and not that nice...
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.