A few questions

Kasperow
Kasperow
05/16/2013 4:19 pm
Hey, fellow guitarist!

I've got a couple of questions, I'm hoping you can answer for me (and since most of them are sort of songwriting-related, I figured this would be the right forum).

Note: My goal is to write a Rock Ballad of sorts, so the questions are mostly about that. Moving on to the questions, here we go:

1: What's a great way to start a Rock Ballad? Or any Rock-song for that matter? My first idea is to begin with a few whole-note Power Chords or Open Chords, with a Lead Guitar line on top, but I'm not sure how well this would work (I'm also not sure how suited Power Chords are for Rock Ballads, but that's another question...)

2: What would you recommend for Rhythm Guitar and Lead Guitar Tone respectively? I know that Slash uses a clean tone for a large part of both "November Rain" and "Don't Cry", until just before the solos where his tone goes distorted. On the other hand, James Hetfield uses a more or less clean tone in "Nothing Else Matters". Judging from this, it would seem that an ideal tone for Rock Ballads would be a clean tone, although Distortion makes the solos sound more expressive in my opinion (Also, I used Slash and Hetfield as examples since they're two of my guitar-idols, and the songs were the first ones I could think of as examples...)

3: What "group" of chords is most suited? Open Chords? Inversions? Power Chords? Barre Chords? I think one of the instructors on this site has done a tutorial on Rock Ballads, where he uses Barre Chords for the Rhythm Guitar, while the Lead Guitar just plays single-note lines, but I may be wrong.

4: Once I have the chords I want to use? Do I find out what scale has the root-notes of all the chords? Will this be the scale I should try soloing over? For example, if the root notes of the chords in a progression are all found somewhere in the E Minor Pentatonic Scale, would that be the scale I should improvise over? Or would there be an individual scale for each chord? (I'm not sure if Mr. Schlegel covers this in his "Improvisation" tutorials. I've only watched the beginner-lessons on improvisation, so I may have to watch the more advanced tutorials on the topic...)

5: Is there still a place for longer songs (like, 5-10 minutes long) these days or is the maximum length for any "good song" 3-3:30 minutes? I honestly prefer longer songs, since they have more time for self-expression and are often not nearly as rushed, but if there's no place for that kind of songs, there's no reason to make any that long songs.

6: Is it feasible to attempt to write any songs without having a band? I know there are backing tracks in the Jam Station and around the internet, but the vast majority of those seem to be more up-beat than what I'd prefer for this experiment...)

I hope you'll take your time to read and answer the questions. It will be most appreciated (this would be my first attempt at song-writing after all, so I'd prefer to get some advice from more experienced guitarists than myself).
"Commit yourself to what you love, and things will happen."
- Mika Vandborg, Electric Guitars, "Follow Your Heart"
---
Gear:
Chateau PS-10 Cherry Power-Strat
Epiphone G-400 LTD 1966 Faded Worn Cherry
Epiphone Les Paul 100 Ebony (w/ Oil City Pickups Scrapyard Dog PLUS pickups)
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Fender 2014 Standard Stratocaster Sunburst
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Fender Mustang II Amplifier
Jet City Amplification JCA22H Tube-head and JCA12S+ cabinet
Pedals...
# 1
maggior
maggior
05/16/2013 4:45 pm
Let me qualify what I say with this - I've never written a song and it's not something I really desire to do at the moment. It's challenging enough trying to play what somebody else wrote :-).

If I were to attempt it though, I would start off with what appeals to me and forget what might appeal to others and what the current conventions are regarding song length and style. Being a fan of progressive rock and jazz, I like solos and longer songs. Any song I wrote would have to feature a kick ass guitar solo :-).

Do you like power chords and the way they sound? Do they inspire you? If so, use them! Barre chords more your style? Use them instead. Think about the ballads that you like and what it is about them that you like...incoprate that.

Once you have that ball rolling...go with where it takes you.

As far as soloing - in my messing around, I find I can use minor pentatonics over just about any chord sequence. You can play notes from a different scale over each chord (Gilmour does this), but you don't have to.

When you are noodling around and experimenting, have a recorder going all of the time. I wish I did this. Many times I have stumbled upon what seemed like a cool riff out of pure inspiration of the moment only to forget it shortly thereafter.

Muscians write songs without bands all of the time. Pete Townsend would put together demos in his home studio all of the time before presenting them to the rest of the band to be fleshed out. Some of these demos would just be him singing and strumming an acoustic guitar.
# 2
Kasperow
Kasperow
05/16/2013 5:37 pm
Originally Posted by: maggiorIf I were to attempt it though, I would start off with what appeals to me and forget what might appeal to others and what the current conventions are regarding song length and style. Being a fan of progressive rock and jazz, I like solos and longer songs. Any song I wrote would have to feature a kick ass guitar solo :-).[/QUOTE]
So in the end, it all comes down to whatever I want to make, even if the audience for that kind of music is limited in size.

Originally Posted by: maggiorDo you like power chords and the way they sound? Do they inspire you? If so, use them! Barre chords more your style? Use them instead. Think about the ballads that you like and what it is about them that you like...incoprate that.[/QUOTE]
I like Power Chords and Open Chords, because they're easy to play and they can sound amazing if used right. Barre Chords aren't so much my cup of tea, though. I always have trouble getting the strings to ring out clearly when I try to play them, so I'd rather not use too many yet. As for what it is I like in Rock Ballads, it's usually the epic Guitar-Solos, and obviously, I would incorporate that into my own music (no Rock-song is complete without the guitar solo!), and usually, there's a pretty cool variation of the chorus-riff leading up to the solo, which just adds to the overall awesomeness ("Don't Cry" is one of the best examples I can think of. The change in the second chorus is not big, but it's there. Basically, some distortion is added for the last 1 1/2 line of the chorus, before going into the solo.)

[QUOTE=maggior]As far as soloing - in my messing around, I find I can use minor pentatonics over just about any chord sequence. You can play notes from a different scale over each chord (Gilmour does this), but you don't have to.

That doesn't completely answer my question about what key or scale the progression is in. If I have, for example, the Chords A maj, E min and F5, how would I be able to tell which key that would be in? Does it depend on what scales the Chords' root-notes are all present in, or does it depend on something completely different?

[QUOTE=maggior]Muscians write songs without bands all of the time. Pete Townsend would put together demos in his home studio all of the time before presenting them to the rest of the band to be fleshed out. Some of these demos would just be him singing and strumming an acoustic guitar.

Yeah, I've read a while ago that James Hetfield just picked some open strings while he was on the phone with his wife (I think it was, anyway), and the first bars of "Nothing Else Matters" were created. It seems like a very simple way to begin writing what would later become one of the most famous songs in the world, but sometimes, simpler is better, it seems.

All in all, from what I gather, I should just start with what I have and then keep going until I have a decently sounding result, or am I wrong?
---
Gear:
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Pedals...
# 3
maggior
maggior
05/16/2013 6:25 pm
I think you hit the nail on the head at the end - work with what you have at the moment and see what you come up with. You have to start someplace, right? There's nothing as frightening as a blank page or a blank canvas - getting something on there to start with is half the battle.

I was throwing this stuff our for starting out. As you write more songs, you may choose to take your audience into more consideration to make something that is more "commercial". Some would say that is selling out and you aren't being true to yourself. Personally, I think if you write stuff that resonates with you at some level, your audience will pick up on that and like it for what it is reguardless of what category it fits in.

Chris Schlagel is "da man" with figuring out what key a set of chords go to. Theory isn't my strong point, so I can't figure out off the top of my head what scale(s) would be suitable over that chord sequence. The F5 may give you some choices and whichever you chose could give it a minor or major feel.
# 4
Elliott Jeffries
Elliott Jeffries
05/17/2013 1:43 am
If you want to write a ballad, try using one as a template. Choose one of your favorite ballads and look at the basic form. You could even copy the tempo, tempo changes and dynamics. Stick your own chords in, write some romantic lyrics about a girl you wish you could meet and you're almost there!
# 5
Kasperow
Kasperow
05/17/2013 4:27 pm
Good suggestion, Elliott. I've considered looking at my favorite songs for inspiration regarding the structure, and the majority of them have one of two things in common:

1: The verse is based on Arpeggiated Open Chords.

2: The verse is has a single Sweep Picked Open Chord (or rarely Barre Chord) at the beginning of each measure, which then lasts for the rest of that measure, and occasionally the next measure too.

Judging from this, it seems those two options are the best suited ways to do a verse in a Rock Ballad. The solos are going to be a bit easier, since that'll be all about finding a scale to solo over, then play something awesome-sounding with the notes in that scale.

I'll dig deeper into my favorite songs and look at how they're structured, what kind of chords are used and the kind of techniques used.

It'll be no secret that my style will be heavily inspired by other music, I think...
---
Gear:
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Pedals...
# 6
Kasperow
Kasperow
05/17/2013 8:46 pm
Damn, this whole project is one heck of a challenge :)

After messing around for a while, I've come up with a Rhythm Guitar-riff for the Verses. Now I just need to figure something out for Intro, Bridge, Pre-Chorus, Chorus, Solo and Lead Guitar... And it took me a lot of effort to find 4 chords I liked the sound of when played together... But, when I'm done, I hope it will be worth the effort. If nothing else, I'll learn something from it.

Now, would it be best for me to record the Rhythm Guitar part for the Verse, then figure out something for Lead Guitar over it, or would it be better to figure out all of the Rhythm Guitar parts before putting Lead Guitar together?
---
Gear:
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Pedals...
# 7
haghj500
haghj500
05/18/2013 2:22 am
Kasperow,

I read in another thread today you were playing lead and you played something almost like a lead in another song. It seems it just came out of you. Very Cool moment, hope you have Many more. I think song writing is a lot like that, it needs to just come out of you.

Itā€™s hard to do as most people have been taught to keep stuff inside most of their life. Thatā€™s why when you did that you felt some sort of jolt or rush in your body. It was thinking I just messed up and let something go.

You can practice releasing (training your body to let music, a feeling flow out) through your guitar. Start spending at least 3 minutes straight, letting your right hand just play notes, chords, riffs, as it wants once or twice during your practice time. You should not think about what you are going to do before you start. Do not look at your left hand during the 3 minutes. This is not an exercise to play well, rather an exercise to teach your left hand to play whatever feeling is coming from you at that moment. After you have done this for a while and you think you may be getting results, add some sort of backing track and see what comes out. You may find this helps your song writing as well.
# 8
Kasperow
Kasperow
05/18/2013 6:10 am
Originally Posted by: haghj500Kasperow,

I read in another thread today you were playing lead and you played something almost like a lead in another song. It seems it just came out of you. Very Cool moment, hope you have Many more. I think song writing is a lot like that, it needs to just come out of you.

Itā€™s hard to do as most people have been taught to keep stuff inside most of their life. Thatā€™s why when you did that you felt some sort of jolt or rush in your body. It was thinking I just messed up and let something go.

Yeah, I just checked the tabs for the riff I was talking about in that thread, and my version wasn't identical to that, but it was still close enough to sound similar (I believe this is what they call "making a riff your own"). I've already done this once before with a solo, that also only sounds similar enough to the song it's from, without being an exact copy.

I'm not 100% sure if this is the best way to proceed with my experiment, but I'm thinking of recording the rhythm-parts I have and then try to make some Lead Guitar lines to go with it.

I should probably also consider writing down the tabs for this, just so I can learn to play it again, should I forget how to play it... Or so I can teach other people how to play it, when I become a better guitarist.
---
Gear:
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Pedals...
# 9
haghj500
haghj500
05/18/2013 4:48 pm
Originally Posted by: Kasperow
I'm not 100% sure if this is the best way to proceed with my experiment, but I'm thinking of recording the rhythm-parts I have and then try to make some Lead Guitar lines to go with it.

I should probably also consider writing down the tabs for this, just so I can learn to play it again, should I forget how to play it... Or so I can teach other people how to play it, when I become a better guitarist.

I agree 100% with everything you said above. It is a process with a lot of little steps.
# 10
Elliott Jeffries
Elliott Jeffries
05/19/2013 5:09 am
Did you come up the arpeggio for the beginning? That should be one of the easiest parts to write. If the verse you wrote is stronger than anything else that follows, you can always switch parts around. The chorus is usually the most powerful part of the song.
# 11
Kasperow
Kasperow
05/19/2013 8:14 am
Originally Posted by: Elliott JeffriesDid you come up the arpeggio for the beginning? That should be one of the easiest parts to write. If the verse you wrote is stronger than anything else that follows, you can always switch parts around. The chorus is usually the most powerful part of the song.

So far, I haven't got anything set in stone yet (except for the genre), but I agree that the Chorus should be the most powerful part, even though I'm not sure what I can do to make it so... Some high notes or chords at the end of the second chorus could help, and it would flow nicely into the solo, which is, as far as I can tell, almost always played on the high register of the guitar. I still need to find out which scale(s) to solo over as well, but that can probably wait until I have the Verse and Chorus parts.
---
Gear:
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Pedals...
# 12
Kasperow
Kasperow
05/20/2013 6:02 pm
Well, I'm getting further into the project of writing my own song (though I doubt it's gonna be an award-winner). I've got the rhythm for the intro and the verses (and bridge-parts between chorus and verses) down, as well as the lead-guitar parts for the intro, and today, I started to look into another aspect of the process, so I don't rush the melodic side too much.

I've slowly begun working on the lyrics, and started by looking into my own past to gather ideas that way. I sat for a few minutes and simply thought "what single event has affected me the most?", and soon, the answer was pretty clear to me. So after a bit of self-exploration and excavation of repressed memories, I started to write the lyrics, and after about 30 seconds, I had 6 lines for the first verse. Sure, the theme isn't going to be love for someone of the opposite gender, as is the case with the vast majority of all Ballads I've ever heard (both Rock and Pop Ballads, that is), but rather the pain and sorrow felt after losing a loved one, which is what's had the biggest impact on me in the last 5 years (and I think everyone can relate to it in some way or another).

So in other words, I now have a theme, a part of the lyrics and a small portion of the guitar-side of this song. Where's it gonna end up? I don't know yet, but hopefully it'll be good enough to play and sing for others and post on the internet.
---
Gear:
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Pedals...
# 13
Kasperow
Kasperow
05/29/2013 8:00 pm
I've now been at this for over a week, and so far, I'm liking the progress. I've already got ideas for a few more songs every now and then while at work, but I haven't had a chance to write or play most of them (wrote down the lyric-ideas I've come up with during a break, though. You never know when they'll come in handy).

I've got a to work a bit more on the melody and messed with some settings, and found that the Lead Guitar and Rhythm Guitar parts each sound better on one guitar than on the other. The Lead Guitar sounds better on my Strat with Humbuckers, since it sounds a bit more crispy, while Rhythm is better off on my SG, for some reasons. I don't know why, it just sounds a bit deeper or darker.

As for how much exactly I have nailed down, I have the Rhythm guitar parts for Verse 1 (still need a better intro), Chorus 1, Verse 2, Chorus 2 and the Bridge just before the kickass solo comes in. Still no Lead-lines yet...
---
Gear:
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Pedals...
# 14
Joseph Kimbrell
Joseph Kimbrell
06/16/2013 8:29 pm
Originally Posted by: Elliott JeffriesIf you want to write a ballad, try using one as a template. Choose one of your favorite ballads and look at the basic form. You could even copy the tempo, tempo changes and dynamics. Stick your own chords in, write some romantic lyrics about a girl you wish you could meet and you're almost there!

Agreed. Listen to a lot of ballads that you like (in the style you want to do), and learn a few of them on guitar. This has really helped me to write in specific styles.
# 15
Kasperow
Kasperow
06/17/2013 7:00 am
Wow... I never thought song-writing could be this hard... Since I started trying it, I've come up with a fairly large number of parts, but nothing that goes particularly well together. I do, however, now have the final version of the intro to my main project. After that, though, it just kinda stops. Maybe I should try leaving the Lead Guitar out of the verses, and see how that sounds? Or maybe just have it play a few sustained notes in the verses, to create some sort of melodic harmony? I'll have to experiment a bit with that. At least now I know how to begin it.
---
Gear:
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Pedals...
# 16
JeffS65
JeffS65
06/22/2013 11:24 am
Originally Posted by: KasperowWow... I never thought song-writing could be this hard... Since I started trying it, I've come up with a fairly large number of parts, but nothing that goes particularly well together. I do, however, now have the final version of the intro to my main project. After that, though, it just kinda stops. Maybe I should try leaving the Lead Guitar out of the verses, and see how that sounds? Or maybe just have it play a few sustained notes in the verses, to create some sort of melodic harmony? I'll have to experiment a bit with that. At least now I know how to begin it.

After a few decades of trying to put songs down that I thought were worth a darn, I just thought I was destined to be like the late Steve Clark of Def Leppard; I can come up with the need parts but I can't make a song. Ok, to be clear > I came up with some 'neat' parts...Clarky came up with brilliant parts.

My point is this, I stopped thinking in terms of verse, chorus, bridge, solo and all that and just let the song go where it wants to go. A more organic approach.

The song is telling a story. A solo only matters if it helps tell that story. Identify what you want to communicate and build it from there. You have to tinker with the emotion of the song and not the mechanical parts (like bridges etc). All those sections such as verses, choruses and solos are is a suite of tools to use to communicate what you feel. You don't use every tool you have when you fix the car, only the ones you need.

The 'job' your doing will tell you what you need.
# 17
Kasperow
Kasperow
06/22/2013 2:49 pm
Originally Posted by: JeffS65The song is telling a story. A solo only matters if it helps tell that story. Identify what you want to communicate and build it from there. You have to tinker with the emotion of the song and not the mechanical parts (like bridges etc). All those sections such as verses, choruses and solos are is a suite of tools to use to communicate what you feel. You don't use every tool you have when you fix the car, only the ones you need.

The 'job' your doing will tell you what you need.

Hmm... Good point you've got there. If I understand it correctly, it's like when you're trying to cook a meal. You may love chili or tabasco or whatever, but if the meal ends up tasting wrong, you shouldn't add it, or at least not too much of it. Same goes for songs as you said. If a song sounds great until I add that bridge or solo, the solo probably doesn't belong there (and besides, there are lots of great rock-songs that don't even have either the bridge nor the solo).

I've also personally (after attending a quick course on goal-setting yesterday), decided to alter my approach a bit. Instead of focusing too much on the result (writing a Rock Ballad), I've decided to focus more on the small steps leading up to the final goal. Instead of being result-oriented, it'll probably be more enjoyable to try being process-oriented. It's not like anyone would ever work on a big project and just look forward to getting it done, if they have the option of getting the most, either knowledge or fun, out of the process. That will just make it a lot less interesting in the long run.
---
Gear:
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Pedals...
# 18
haghj500
haghj500
06/22/2013 6:01 pm
Kasperow,

For a person who refused to quit 6 months ago while having a hard time seeing yourself advancing more. You have learned fast and come a long way in little time.
# 19
Kasperow
Kasperow
06/22/2013 6:59 pm
Originally Posted by: haghj500Kasperow,

For a person who refused to quit 6 months ago while having a hard time seeing yourself advancing more. You have learned fast and come a long way in little time.

Thanks for the moral support, haghj500. It's much appreciated :)

I guess I've come a long way compared to back then.
---
Gear:
Epiphone ES-345 Cherry
Martin DX1K Acoustic
Pedals...
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.