View post (A few questions)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
06/22/2013 11:24 am
Originally Posted by: KasperowWow... I never thought song-writing could be this hard... Since I started trying it, I've come up with a fairly large number of parts, but nothing that goes particularly well together. I do, however, now have the final version of the intro to my main project. After that, though, it just kinda stops. Maybe I should try leaving the Lead Guitar out of the verses, and see how that sounds? Or maybe just have it play a few sustained notes in the verses, to create some sort of melodic harmony? I'll have to experiment a bit with that. At least now I know how to begin it.

After a few decades of trying to put songs down that I thought were worth a darn, I just thought I was destined to be like the late Steve Clark of Def Leppard; I can come up with the need parts but I can't make a song. Ok, to be clear > I came up with some 'neat' parts...Clarky came up with brilliant parts.

My point is this, I stopped thinking in terms of verse, chorus, bridge, solo and all that and just let the song go where it wants to go. A more organic approach.

The song is telling a story. A solo only matters if it helps tell that story. Identify what you want to communicate and build it from there. You have to tinker with the emotion of the song and not the mechanical parts (like bridges etc). All those sections such as verses, choruses and solos are is a suite of tools to use to communicate what you feel. You don't use every tool you have when you fix the car, only the ones you need.

The 'job' your doing will tell you what you need.