Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
04/24/2002 4:05 am
This kind of story always twists my guts:

Originally posted by Lword
Last summer, I stayed at my uncle's up in Toronto, Canada
I played his '52 gibson acoustic, which is, without comparison, the best guitar I've ever played.
He has arthritis in his hands, and hasn't been able to play the guitar for 20 years. He had the guitar willed to me.
Then, last october, someone broke into his house, and stole the guitar.
Anyone who knows anything about a reddish-purple, '52 gibson acoustic which has shady origins in the Toronto area, please post something!
I know this is a far cry, but I'm desperate!

Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 1
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
04/24/2002 9:18 am
Now, let's be honest:

Someone puts an ad in a paper, "selling '63 fender strat. 500 dollars" and you contact the guy, he tells you it's his father's inheritance, that he doesn't give a poop about guitars, or music in general, that the guitar has been gathering dust in a corner for some months, and that he'd rather have some cash than just a useless plank with wires on it, and that if you want to see it, you better be quick, this afternoon at your local shop.
You see the guy, he let's the guitar out of the case (that's vintage too) you can't believe it, it's all stock!! You plug it in... Dang, you've been looking for this sound for years!! You ask the guy for the price... 500 bucks, cash... You give it to him, just thinking the guy is a poor chap that really knows nothing to music and instrument. You go back home with your piece of history, already thinking about how you're gonna rave to your friends and family about your latest acquisition...

Some weeks later, you see in 'guitar world' that some famous guy (that you don't listen to) has been robbed of some of his guitars, that were backstage in a concert near your hometown... There's a list of the guitars: a '59 Les Paul gold top, a telecaster Albert Collins model, and the '63 strat that matches exactly the one you have bought for 500 bucks...

Now, let's be honest people, who would turn the guitar in?? Don't try to tell me how it's a shame, that OF COURSE, without hesitation, you'll turn it in... Tell me how you'd react...
# 2

04/24/2002 6:00 pm

I'd beat the crap out of the guy that sold me the guitar, assuming it's a 4'9'' skinny guy that weight 90 pounds all wet.

All jokes aside, I'd be really pissed but I would still turn in the guitar. REALLY

I know some may not beleive it but that's what I would do. But you better believe I would get the guy that stoled it and turn him in. I can't stand theif...
# 3
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
04/24/2002 6:01 pm
Originally posted by lalimacefolle
... Tell me how you'd react...
Thats why my guts are twistin! The theft ocurred last October. By now, its 'safely' ensconced in somebody's house as a prized acquisition. Without serial numbers, co-operative repair shops, and a lot of luck.., its gone, man! :mad:
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4
lalimacefolle
lalimacefolle
04/24/2002 6:53 pm
Originally posted by Benoit
I know some may not beleive it but that's what I would do. But you better believe I would get the guy that stoled it and turn him in. I can't stand theif...

I know that in the french law system, you'd be considered as an accomplice, since it should have rung a bell (a vintage strat for only 500 bucks?)

I know I wouldn't turn it in... You can call me an asshole, or whatever you like, but even though I'm totally honest and I have never stolen anything in my life, I'd keep it... Would I be able to look myself in the mirror after this? I dunno... (or maybe I'd trade the guitar for the '59 les paul?)
# 5
Bardsley
Bardsley
04/24/2002 11:41 pm
Yeah, receiving stolen goods is a crime, even without knowledge, if you have any cause for suspicion. I think I'd turn it in, because I wouldn't be able to play the guitar if I knew someone was dying for it back. And anyway, what about when I become famous? Someone's going to see the guitar and go "hey, that's mine" :D
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 6
albo
albo
04/25/2002 7:00 pm
I'm not saying that any of you are being mendacious when you say that you would return the guitar but, I really don't think any of you would know what you would do unless you were put in the situation. Right now, it is easy for me to say that I would be all humble and return the guitar to its rightful owner...but then again...I'm not holding a 53' Les Paul Acoustic in my hands...(I'm actually holding a subway steak and cheese)
# 7
albo
albo
04/25/2002 7:01 pm
52' Gibson Acoustic...I type faster than I think...both pretty slowly I may add.
# 8
yukonc5
yukonc5
04/26/2002 7:28 pm
The only thing lower than a thief is one that would steal a guitar. I just had about a grand worth of tools stolen from me. If it had been my guitar I would have been much more devastated. Not to mention the "screwing" I took from the insurance company I've been paying those high premiums to for all these years..I would love to see how much they would depreciate a 24 year old guitar. I don't know who I despise more, the thief or the insurance company. I'm ranting, aren't I...sorry. I must go to my anger management class now
Grog go now! Make noise!
# 9
mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
mc9mm
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/26/2002 9:50 pm
I can honestly say that I would not return the guitar.
Would I be able to look myself in the mirror? Yes I would.
Dont know why, but I wouldnt be bothered with it.
Now dont say "you dont know how it feels" because I do.
My cellphone, wallet, a lot of money plus my scooter has been stolen during the years.
And that adds up to about 3000$. A quite large sum.
And I wouldnt blame the guy who saw the scooter-add:
"Scooter, great condition, 800$".
I mean 1/3 of the price! I wouldnt be able to resist it.
One thing that you have to take under consideration is
that your money is gone even if you return it (according to swedish laws anyway) and you can be convicted.

Now before you call me heartless and monster, I would be
very upset if it was my guitar. If my own guitar had been stolen, I would've been devestated. And my guitar isnt half as rare and expensive as the gibson 52 acoustic.
But still..
Now I would never steal anything, and if I knew it was stolen before I bought it, I would have him arrested and the guitar returned, but with the guitar in hand, and the seller long gone, well.. I would keep it.

[Edited by mc9mm on 04-26-2002 at 04:56 PM]
# 10
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
04/26/2002 10:25 pm
hmmm... difficult one...
but if it was obviously stolen, I wouldn't buy it in the first place..
but I mean if bought a vintage lefthanded telecaster for say £150, I pretty much would suspect something... It could be completly innocet, like they guy desprately wanting a quick sale/ desprate need fanacailly... but I would definetly inquire... and if found it was stolen, I would give it back... and cos guys who own vintage guitars are usually rich (well relatively anyway), I'd tell him about how much i'd payed for it, hope to get it back, or him to give me a guitar worth that much... but maybe that's all to ambitious..
To be honest there's not much driving me to play a really high quality guitar... I just need one with good tone and definition and that's that... I certainly woulnd't pay thousands for a marginally better guitar, with some crappy mother of peal inlay desing... grrr, what a waste those kinda guitar's are...

[Edited by educatedfilm on 04-26-2002 at 05:30 PM]
# 11
yukonc5
yukonc5
04/26/2002 11:00 pm
I have to go with educatedfilm. Someone selling a '59 goldtop paul for $800, you gotta smell a rat. But I couldn't be happy with someone else's baby!!! Still would like to have that 59 goldtop but then I'd like to be on a yacht in the Bahamas too.
Grog go now! Make noise!
# 12

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.