The music store experience

kingdavid
kingdavid
04/09/2002 10:45 am
How do you behave in amusic store?What do you do in there?Try to impress other shoppers with your licking skill?Your knowledge about all there is to know about guitars("I'm a descendant of Antonio de Torres":D)?Do you,like me,go in there to ogle the guitars you would love to have but can't afford?Look around see what new thing is come in?Or what new female attendant is stated working there?And b4 you call me sexist,there's a regular on this forum who met his gf/wifey/fiance through that thing of "guitar lessons".
I just wonder what you guys do in the music shops in your areas.
# 1
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
04/09/2002 10:53 am
lol... I just try out all the guitars that are MILES out of my price range... I mean, I come in looking all serious, and thought full, get the guy there to take it out of the case, he'll play a little tune... he'll talk to me, and I'll keep taking thoughful pauses... by this point he's thinking "WE'VE GOT A BUYER!!!WAHOOO."... and he hands it to me, I play it for a while... making sure to make it look like I'm checking the action, the back of the guitar, the nut, the machine heads... so he's happy to let me carry on :)...

I dont really bother impressing a bunch of strangers... I mean what's the point? Saying that though, the fact I can play both righty and lefty guitars seems to impress them, and playing a right handed guitar left handedly (so that the first string is E, the second A, the third D etc etc)just gets you the odd look, like "WTF?!!!"...

Tapping never seems to impress anyone, I dont know why.. they all see it as some kinda phase every guitarist goes through, something very teenage, and eventually we all rise above it...
# 2
stratgod
stratgod
04/09/2002 12:48 pm
Man, I'll tell you what pissed me off the other week was when I was playing a nice reissue strat and there was this other guy who tried his best to play as loud as he could to drown everyone else out.Felt like knocking him out!

But, yeah, I like most drool over the new stock and vintage stock with through-the-roof prices and usually end up playing one or two with the intention of not buying it.

I bet most of the majority have gone in one week and played a guitar and decided to think about it before buying it and then come back next week and its gone. Just like the Tele Custom in my local the other week.....
"When I was a kid,all I wanted was a red electric guitar.It had to be red,because of Hank and his magical sound." Mark Knopfler on Hank Marvin.
# 3

04/09/2002 4:14 pm

Oddly enough I rarely go to a music store. I'm really an impulsive buyer so it's better not o spend too much time in these place. Too hard on the credit card :)

When I go in, it's to buy something. If I need strings I'll go in and get out as fast as possible. Otherwise I'll end up buying an other instrument....

I don't know if there's someone like me but I suck when I play another guitar than mine. I don't know why but I can't play as well. So usually I don't try to shred and just play a small blues or chord progression to get a good feeling of the guitar.

I can say I never impressed anyone in a music store lol
# 4
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
04/09/2002 6:31 pm

Yeah, I know what you mean. I can pretty much pick up any Ibanez and feel comfortable with it, but if I try out a different brand, I can't play anything. Plus, they hardly ever have any picks there (probably because they don't want you scratching their instruments), and the ones they do have are always all jacked up. Fingerpicking with distortion on doesn't sound too cool.
# 5
educatedfilm
educatedfilm
04/09/2002 7:22 pm
I'm comfortable playing lefty... and that's why i tend to go by, I can play the other way, but calling it ambidextrous maybe a little strong, I mean right handed I'm not as good, cos my hands aren't that well trained to play that way... playing with a guitar strung the other waym, i'm actaully not bad, but the problem is that some times you can switch to playing normaly with out doing it delebratly, and you do have to stop and think every now and then and think about what your doing...

I mean, poeple are impressed by it, but to be honest, it's pretty useless... I mean, I cant really think of a situation where it could be used practically... Showmanship maybe, like Making a two necked guitar, with the necks at opposite ends... :D, that's a very cool idea, I'm gonna have to get one of them one day... just to be awkward...
# 6
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
04/09/2002 9:01 pm
I'm the guy that slides in on a Wednesday evening and pulls something down off the 'used rack'. I don't plug it in, which means that people tend to ignore me. I firmly believe in getting a feel for the tone of a guitar without any amplification. If its doesn't have good sound on its own, an amp won't make it sound better, just louder. Obviously, I can't make this assessment on a Saturday afternoon, when all of the 'stringslingers' come out to show off for each other.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 7

04/09/2002 10:18 pm

Good point Lordathestrings

When I recently bought one guitar that is exactly what the salesman showed me.

The guitar had an amazing sustain on it's own.

It's a great advice for buyers

# 8
Bardsley
Bardsley
04/10/2002 7:40 am
Lord, I bought my start without plugging it in at the store.
Maybe a little silly, but I had played a strat plus with the same pickups through an amp before and liked it, and this one sounded better unplugged. I knew that I would eventually think of getting new pickups anyway (still saving), so it didn't matter as much. Possibly I could have ended up with one with fried electornics or something, but I didn't. And it felt sooo good in my hands, I just had to have it.
Pony, very funny, you should have picked up one of those daisy guitars if they had them and played that. See the kids talk about how cool they are for metal. Tee hee.
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 9
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
04/10/2002 10:37 pm
Originally posted by Benoit
...The guitar had an amazing sustain on it's own...
That would be your new YAMAHA, yes? :D
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 10
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
04/10/2002 10:39 pm
Originally posted by Bardsley
Lord, I bought my start without plugging it in at the store.
Very Scary :eek:

Even I plug in, if I find one that sounds good unplugged!
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 11
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
04/11/2002 12:14 am
Depends on the store. I usually go to my favorite store to say "hey" to the people who work there, check out some stuff, play that Peavey Cirrus that I'll never be able to afford, ask questions, etc.

Other stores I got to so I can check out gear. I hardly ever buy anything (though the last time I went to one, I bought my Sunn).

I think I"ll get my strings from Musician's friend since they carry Rotosounds and I can get all three kinds I need there.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

# 12
Bardsley
Bardsley
04/11/2002 7:15 am
Well...
It was more a case of me saying "yes, I'm getting that, hold that for me for a while", then I did try it out later. Of course, with something so standard as a strat, the unplugged sound is the thing you need to listen for I think. If it had been faulty or had something obviously wrong with the electronics I would have noticed it when trying it out later and they wouldn't have made me pay anything for it, cause I know them there, but I checked it out pretty thouroughly anyway.
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 13
kingdavid
kingdavid
04/11/2002 5:40 pm
Now I know I'm not the only one who sees stuff I'll never afford.
Life is good!:D
# 14
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
04/11/2002 10:57 pm
Well, the trick is to be satisfied with what you allready have.

And no, I haven't got it down yet.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 15
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
04/12/2002 12:24 am
I try to foster what I call 'constructive discontent', where I'm just dissatisfied enough to work at improvement, but not so pissed off that I get discouraged.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 16
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
04/12/2002 12:55 am
See, now I on the other hand think "Cirrus+EMG 40DCs+EMG BQC preamp+Khaller Bass Whammy Bar" and before I even get to the "=" part, I'm drooling all over my lap.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 17
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/12/2002 2:58 am
heh.... I go in and play like ****.... I pretend I'm totally clueless and let the store guy go nuts showing off....
then I wait for him to leave and serve another custorm and go nuts... 4 finger tapping, all the top stufff.....
As soon as he comes back I start playing like a geek again. Confuses the **** outa them.
# 18
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/12/2002 3:04 am
lol.... I go in looking like a total bumb.... then wait for the salesguy to start showing off and treating me like he wants me to leave as soon as possible.
Then I ask to play the most expensive guitar in the place and the best amp....I **** around pretending like I don't have a clue and then as soon as he leaves I rip out all kindsa 8 fingertapping stuff, shred etc....
then stop and go back to acting like a dick again.

Just fun on a boring night with nothing to do
# 19
kingdavid
kingdavid
04/12/2002 8:22 am
RASK:No way in hell I'll be satisfied with that "guitar" I own.Unless they put me in jail and that's all I'm allowed to bring in.You should see it.
LORDA:I'm still playing that thing,nevertheless:)
SCHMANGE:There was this guy at a poolroom I played.We were playing a loser pays game.So he steps up to the table and starts phucking around like he doesn't know s***.Then asks if I would like to play a loser pays.And who I'm I to say no.He breaks.NO.He misses the ball like he's a complete novice.I take my turn and pot a ball or two.He takes his turn.I'm contemplating telling him how to hold the cue-stick,when suddenly his fingers land on the table in distorted positions like he has some sickness or something.Hands stable as hell.I got whipped.Jump shots,crazy spins,off-cushions,the works.
Your story reminds me of this guy.
Man!!
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.