A Note from an old Mod

magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
09/23/2011 4:59 pm
Hey guys,

A lot of new faces so many of you probably do not know or remember me. I've been around GT for nearly a decade and have been a moderator for almost as long.

I noticed that many threads get posted in open discussion that should be placed in other areas of the forum. I tried moving threads to their appropriate forum for awhile before I realized it was a fairly futile task. :p I realize that Open Discussion is most likely still the most frequented forum on the boards so it feels right just to put everything here.

I also understand that we have a lot of older and younger members who may not have much experience with online forums.

The Guitartricks forum is pretty loosely moderated. The main goal is to ensure everyone has their questions answered.

I'm just asking that before you place a topic in the Open discussion area stop to think if it really belongs in one of the other sections of the forum. You will not only be helping yourself out but you will also be helping other members who may have the same question. You may get a wider variety of responses from those that only frequent certain sections and have a greater knowledge in those areas. The last time I saw member totals on this forum Guitartricks had well over a million members. As you can tell not all of them post but they do come to look for information and I'm sure many of them go right to the section they need information from. You can help them our by posting your question or advice in the right area so they can find it easier.

If you are unsure about where topics should be placed look at the Forum Posting Guide at http://www.guitartricks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=29051

Thanks guys and keep having fun.

magicninja
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 1
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
09/23/2011 5:07 pm
Great post! I've been here for coming up on three years, I rarely come to the Open Discussion area. For some reason, I have a mental image of it being more "Off Topic"
[U]Ricks Current Mystery Video[/U] - Updated Monday March/02/2015
# 2
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
09/23/2011 5:22 pm
Well, it's supposed to be for anything not relating to guitar or music. I think that was the real intention but I think most times it is just used as the default location for any topic.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
10/01/2011 7:50 am
I remember you were here when I joined in 2004, and you helped me out in the forum. Seems like a great thread to say thanks in, and tell you we appreciate you.

Rick is right, this is a great post, and I even checked out the posting guide. We may need an update on it though, since there are some new forum sections. I also noticed there is one we don't have, we don't have anything on rhythm. It could go under guitar basics, but right now it's not even mentioned. It could possibly go under technique and style, but I don't really think it fits. Picking style is mentioned in the posting guide, but not in the description of the sections.

What would you suggest on this? How hard would it be to update the section descriptions underneath the section titles?

Did you know it says general discussion, and general music-related topics under open discussion? I just realized this myself, and wanted to let you know that's what it says. Let me know what you think, and I'm glad you're still around after all these years.
# 4
holden2
holden2
10/06/2011 6:56 pm
For the older Hippie/70's Music era,I traveled the 42 miles from Greenwood SC to Greenville SC to see my 5th Lynyrd Skynyrd Live Concert.My 5th opportunnity was just the Old Greenville Auditorium,my others were "SAVE the FOX","double album"!And the best of the best was an old hole in the wall located in Macon Ga.It must have been the last show we had seen the Allman Brothers before Filmore East?It was the Winter of may be 71,and Lynyrd Skynyrd opened,followed by the Allmans.The close of the show was the two "GREATS" Blow this shack away for another 1 1/2 longer.How ever my 5th concert at the old Greenville Auditorium was the very best any of us had ever seen them!I woke up The next morning,and ABC was announcing the members of the Band who had died on October 20th in McComb County MIssissippi.I have five layers of the Bands Songs,and one copy for me to play with out worry of damage of this music,and I can never play them?And for the History Buffs?Ronnie VanZant wrote with band members,and solo songs over 235 in less than four years!For closure,give me you're best Bands shot to top them numbers?May be if you were the Stones with an 128 year Career you may have written half of this Catalog?I personally do not think no one is even close!

Kind Regards
Cleaner Liam King
# 5
hunter1801
hunter1801
10/08/2011 2:19 am
The Open Discussion description says:
"Discuss general topics and general music-related topics here."

I use it as both an off topic section and a general music section if my thread doesn't fit specifically into one of the other forums.

I think adding an "Off Topic" forum and changing "Open Discussion" to more of a General Music forum would help with the confusion.

Gear Reviews + Gear Discussion. Reviews doesn't get a whole lot of activity. Can combine it with gear discussion. Not sure if other forums could be combined somehow.

Oh ....and holden2.....wtf are you talking about. Reported for spam.
# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.