What order do i do the lessons in?

BammBamm22
BammBamm22
06/17/2011 2:50 am
At 47 yrs. of age, I do not really have a particular style (electric guitar) that i want to learn to play. I'm currently trying to play classic rock / 80’s rock all the way to attempting James Taylor type classical stuff. I’m just trying to learn more with this site to become a better guitar player.
I just finished the Fundamentals 1 & 2, and i was wondering if i should do all three level 1's, and then do all three level 2's??? Or do Rock 1 & 2, then country 1 & 2, then blues 1 & 2. I am not sure if there was a set design in place, or a specific route that is better. Thanks p.s, so far i love this site
# 1
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
06/17/2011 5:45 pm
Given your style interests, I'd recommend Rock 1 & 2 and then some of Lisa McCormick's fingerpicking tutorials:

http://www.guitartricks.com/instructor.php?input=311296

The intention of the 3 way split rock/country/blues is to focus on the techniques applicable to the style. They are meant to be taken 1,2, 1,2 1,2 not 1,1,1 2,2,2. You are free to do as you like, we just didn't intend for you to take all the 1s together, so it may seem odd if you try that.

Have fun.

Jon
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
BammBamm22
BammBamm22
06/17/2011 11:25 pm
Thanks, I have been playing on and off for the last 20 years but i never learned really truly learned how to play or read music. I would pick up my guitar every now and then and learn something cool, but then i would have to actually take part in life and do grown up stuff. That usually meant i would not be able to touch my guitars for months. I would then usually forget what i had learned in the first place. This last two years i made a commitment to myself to make music (my guitar playing) equally as important as all the other things in my life. As you get older you learn something’s just need to be fitted it to your schedule. I read a stack of how to books, watch YouTube clips, took some lessons from several different local music shops, but usually the instructors only taught you what they thought was cool and never really explained why it worked that way. "Just memorize it” was their mantra as they collected my money. My problem is with having a math degree; i like & need to know why things work and what the formula is. Keep up the great work you all are doing here on this site. BBg
# 3
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
06/20/2011 5:18 pm
Thanks! That was a nice start to my Monday.
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 4
Peter vickers
Peter vickers
07/17/2011 11:20 am
Originally Posted by: Jon BroderickThanks! That was a nice start to my Monday.

Hi Jon,

Just read the thread about which order to do the lessons and thought I would "make your Monday" :-).

This site is by far the best I have come across on the net, really really great, pass my regards to all the instructores please (I know you don't see them all the time).

It is reassuring for me to know, no matter what I want to know/learn I can find it on here, Your new John Prine stuff is brilliant and a challenge for me.

All the best from a very happy customer.

Pete
# 5
Jon Broderick
Administrator
Jon Broderick
Administrator
08/01/2011 6:49 pm
Thanks Peter!!!

It's the wrong Monday (not sure how I missed this previously) but it is still a Monday and this is welcome news.
Jon Broderick
Guitar Tricks Instructor

# 6

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.