favorite guitarist?

02/10/2001 5:00 pm
Originally posted by Zeppelin
Yeah RG Lloyd, get reall man...
believe me ,that there are lots of guitarist that can blow knofler, or slash or even hendrix anytime...
ever heard the name brian may??
or richie blackmore???
believe me richie blackmore was 10 times better player then hendrix or slash....and even if your opinion different from mine, dont tell i dont apreciate the guitar man....
believe me slash and knofler are much more commercial musicians than blackmore ever was....

Zeppelin don't go down that path man, you're sounding worse then Lloyd the way you're bashing guitarists and rating the "best". So lloyd thinks we don't appreciate the instrument- fine, leave him with his ignorance. Dont' go and say something more ignorant like "richie blackmore was 10 times better player then hendrix or slash". Am I saying Blackmore isn't good, possible great? Hell no, I don't even know his playing that well. But if there's one thing that I can't stand (which I had hoped was an issue that had been beaten into the ground on this board) is that on an instrument as versatile as the guitar, there can be no "best" guitarist. You have a right to a preference, that goes without saying. Your is blackmore. But don't go saying that "richie blackmore was 10 times better player then hendrix or slash".

Also, I don't know how you got the idea that Slash was commercial. Living with your band in a one-room roach infested apartment while struggling with the cut-throat L.A. club scene doesn't sound to commercial to me. And after GNR released Appetite for Destruction, it was about another 4 or 5 years until they released Use Your Illusion I.
# 1
Bardsley
Bardsley
02/11/2001 7:46 am
Despite not being a huge Nirvana fan, I find it hard to understnd why they are being flamed so much. The problem is it seems is that everyone is judging Kurt Cobain as a guitarist, and therefore not very good. For great rock musicians, or any musicians, the music comes before the instruments. Hendrix was a great guitarist not because he was particularly skilled, but that he made his guitar speak for his soul. Cobain used his fairly limited skill to create music that has tapped into a generation of people. The Edge plays guitar in a minimal way that is there to create music, rather than display his talent. People should obviously strive to be the best they can be at their instruments (or anything in life), but at the same time they should learn to use what they have. Think of all the great music that has been created by people with not much technical ability, ie the Beatles. I think that maybe some people have their priorities wrong, they want to play guitar, and then they want to play some music. IMO, great music comes from people who have a desire to play music, with whatever instrument they can best use, and whatever most effectively gets their point across. I love the guitar, but I love music first, the guitar is for music, not the other way round.
"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 2
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
02/11/2001 10:47 am
James- yeah u probably right on this one, offcorse you can't say who is the best guitarist , because there is no such a thing... it's only my opinion..
and RG Lloyd - you can have your opinion too..
just don't say we don't apreciate the guitar...

"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is not I who am crazy.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 3
Bardsley
Bardsley
02/12/2001 5:07 am
See, it would be easier if we simply thought of who our FAVOURITE guitarist is, rather than who is the best. Then it is clearly noting that you are simply saying who you like most, who has influenced you, who created that need for playing guitar in you, without suggesting that they are the BEST. In that case, I would have no trouble in listing
1. Jimi Hendrix: The man who inspires me with greats such as machinge gun, Hey Baby, Pali Gap, Hear My Train a coming. He is the biggest influence for me.
2. The Edge: I love U2, and The Edge's sound is great. An innovater rather than technically brilliant, I think a great example of making guitar fit into a musical context, and cmplementing the band rather than dominating.
3. John Fruiscante (spelling?): Some of the Chili peppers stuff is ultimate funk, I love it. Savior is a great example of great guitar sound.
4. Bob Dylan: Actually, I think he is a crap guitarist, but I love his music, and he is my biggest musical influence so I will include him anyway. Possibly shows what someone can do with limited technical ability, but a genius nonetheless.
5. Eric Clapton: no explanation needed.
6. Robert Johnson: I have put him here to stand for all the blues greats that I love, this guy had a SOUL (though he sold it).
7. Daniel Callabro (from The Grand Silent System): This guy is my guitar teacher, and he therefore has shaped a lot of my ideas on music. He plays anything from jazz to a cool kind of eastern rock. If you are ever in Melbourne Australia, look for them to see something different.

"Dozens of people spontaneously combust each year, it's just not that widely reported".
# 4
Dr. Saturno
Dr. Saturno
02/14/2001 4:53 pm
These are the best (not necessary in order)

1. Joe Satriani: the great master
2. Brian May: he is the sweetest guitarist of all the times
3. Steve Vai: the most crazy of them all.
# 5
LEEtheV
LEEtheV
02/15/2001 3:09 am
*Yup, Brian May has showed ALOT of diversity in his music....Queen 2 is probably one of my favorites....Black Queen and Seven Seas of Rye....VERY KOOL !!!
*Turn the bastard up and see what happenz.... :D
# 6
stratman42
stratman42
02/17/2001 6:07 pm
I have only read the first page of this (theres far too much) but Why the knickers has no-one voted for Hammet? Is it because he is still around? He knows many different styles, not just lightning solos. Listen to an early Metallica album and then one of their latest and unless you are deaf, biased or just plain thick you will see what i mean. Also Dave Murray and Adrian Smith from Iron maiden are good, as is Dave Guilmour (Pink Floyd).
Work hard...Play hard...Break a string...:mad:

Actions speak louder than words...
And my actions speak louder than yours :D
# 7
LEEtheV
LEEtheV
02/18/2001 2:57 am
Originally posted by stratman42
I have only read the first page of this (theres far too much) but Why the knickers has no-one voted for Hammet? Is it because he is still around? He knows many different styles, not just lightning solos.Listen to an early Metallica album and then one of their latest and unless you are deaf, biased or just plain thick you will see what i mean.

*You have GOT to be kidding !!!!! He knows NOTHING but speed riffs....He lacks style AND originality !!! Hetfield plays MUCH more tastefully than Hammet....Of course, Gilmour is the master of style...His leads build and display character and man o' man, when he soars, he leaves Hammet in the dust.....One more 7 minute Metallica ballad (They ALL sound the same) and I'm gonna puke.....give me Master of Puppets again anyday.....

Also Dave Murray and Adrian Smith from Iron maiden are good,

*I FULLY agree :)...

as is Dave Guilmour (Pink Floyd).

*Re-watch S&M and tell me that Hammet shows his own style...NOT !!!! Blackmore shows SOOOOOO much more taste....Also, are you gonna say that Hammet is in the same league as was Rhodes ? NOT !!!! For THAT matter, SRV showed WAAAAAAAY more taste than Kirky-boy.....SCHIT, I like CC from Poisen FAR more than I do Ham-bone....

*Put it this way....If Hetfield drops dead tomorrow, Metallica is history, NO doubt about it....But if Kirk leaves, he will be EASILY replaced.....Joe (What's his name) from the last OZZFEST would be a good start....

*Just my 2 cents worth......:D
# 8
stratman42
stratman42
02/18/2001 5:47 pm
Originally posted by LEEtheV
[/B]

*Put it this way....If Hetfield drops dead tomorrow, Metallica is history, NO doubt about it....But if Kirk leaves, he will be EASILY replaced.....Joe (What's his name) from the last OZZFEST would be a good start....

[/B][/QUOTE]

Actually, you do have a point, although for a different reason than i think youre trying to make out. If Hetfield did leave Metallica they would drop dead - not only is he a guitarist, he is also a brilliant singer and songwriter, and is pretty much the essence of Metallica. However, Kirks style is also a big part of Metallica, and although there are many other speed metal players out there, if Hammet left he would be pretty hard to replace, and the band might still be "history" anyway, as he has been with them for so long. Okay maybe his styles are not quite as diverse as i firstsaid, but he is not quite the same as any other speed metal player. The only man i think could replace him is Dave Murray, but he would never leave Maiden.

However, you have reworked my opinion, and that may or may not be a good thing. The whole world may have been kept together by the beleifs i had about hammet which you have just shattered. You don't know what you're messing with here...:D

# 9
stratman42
stratman42
02/18/2001 5:51 pm
Has anyone heard any early manics?

James Dean Bradfield is in fact a damn good guitarist and he sings whilst doing lead. Talented guy...

# 10
LEEtheV
LEEtheV
02/18/2001 6:24 pm
Originally posted by stratman42
[QUOTE] The whole world may have been kept together by the beleifs i had about hammet which you have just shattered. You don't know what you're messing with here...:D

*LOL :D .....You may be right (good point)and I don't want that "whole world thing" on MY shoulders !!! :D:D:D...I, therefore, (being of sound mind and body,,,,sort-of), recant my entire previous statement and "ain't goin' there" no more :).....
# 11
BadHorsie
BadHorsie
02/18/2001 9:05 pm
Hammet? A great guitarist? Dude, I used to be a big Metallica fanatic until I stepped into the light. Seriously bro, not tryin to rain on your parade but Hammet is really hyped up. Learn your Pentatonic Scale and your Aeolian scale... play trills, hammer ons, and pull offs using sixteenth notes and you've mastered the art of Kirk Hammet. And that's the truth. Granted he has started to be more diverse lately, but he is still not doing as much as you think. When I listen to Stevie Ray, B.B., Vai, Satch, Rhodes, and even some Van Halen I hear them all speaking through their guitars. Almost as if they're sharing their feelings with me. When I hear Kirk... I hear noise.
Ain't nothin' but a Gear thang, baby!
# 12
Dr. Saturno
Dr. Saturno
02/20/2001 2:50 pm
Another cool guys are...

1) Stevie Ray Vaughan
2) David Gilmour
3) Ritchie Blackmore
4) Jimmy Page
5) Glenn Tipton and K.K. Downing
6) Eric Clapton
7) Kirk Hammet
8) Zakk Wylde
9) Paul Gilbert
10) Pat Metheny
11) Gary Moore
12) Eric Johnson

... and the list follows
# 13
Ugly Toe
Ugly Toe
02/23/2001 12:22 am
I think theres a big mistake here. Everyone is basically saying.."he's the best..she's the best,etc." Doesn't the reply thread tell you something?

There simply is no "best" guitarist, we all are in a little way. The art of creation using a musical instrument is one of the most amazing human endeavors. Those that consider that the instrument is used as an extension of human communication are the ones who know what I mean. Those that can create a piece of music that moves someones emotion in a way that none of the other forms of communication can, can all claim to have achieved the goal. But to try to say that a particular guitarist is the best is pointless.

Theres simply too many "best" guitarists out there.
# 14
Ugly Toe
Ugly Toe
02/23/2001 5:55 pm
OK, so much for the philosophical point of view...things got from "favourite" guitarist to "best" guitarist in a quite subtle way. (You can't criticise people for their favourite guitarist)

well my faves are:

Jimi Hendrix..he's the reason I picked up a guitar
Andres Segovia
Joe Satriani
Paco De Lucia
Eddie Van Halen
John McGloughlin
Al Di Meola
Pat Matheney
Jeff Beck

Countless others who in one way or another inspired me.

# 15
LEEtheV
LEEtheV
02/23/2001 6:15 pm
*Many people have never even heard of Al DiMeola....Man O' Man, THAT guy can play !!!!!!! :D (I saw some footage of him once doing some 5 to 7 fret spans on an acoustic !)...WOW !!!
# 16
Ugly Toe
Ugly Toe
02/23/2001 10:49 pm
Thought I'd get laughed at for the choices! Thanx LEEtheV.
By the way, I like the choice of your interests! (Scotland is a car journey away from me..ooh, you want to taste some of their REAL malts!! (The stuff that don't leave the country!)
I'll ship you some for a small fee!
# 17
LEEtheV
LEEtheV
02/24/2001 12:16 am
Originally posted by Ugly Toe
Thought I'd get laughed at for the choices! Thanx LEEtheV.

*If you're pickin' people like DiMeola, than you OBVIOUSLY got a STRONG and DIVERSE exposure to guitarists :D

By the way, I like the choice of your interests!

Thanx :D ....For my 40th b/day last week, I was given a bottle of 15 yr/old McCallun....SWEEEET :)

(Scotland is a car journey away from me..ooh, you want to taste some of their REAL malts!! (The stuff that don't leave the country!)
I'll ship you some for a small fee!

*LET ME KNOW HOW MUCH !!!!! E-MAIL ME AND LETZ DO IT !!!! :D:D:D...WAAAAAAY KOOOOOL !!!!!!!!

# 18
stratman42
stratman42
02/24/2001 2:00 pm
Originally posted by Ugly Toe
There simply is no "best" guitarist, we all are in a little way. The art of creation using a musical instrument is one of the most amazing human endeavors. Those that consider that the instrument is used as an extension of human communication are the ones who know what I mean. Those that can create a piece of music that moves someones emotion in a way that none of the other forms of communication can, can all claim to have achieved the goal. But to try to say that a particular guitarist is the best is pointless.

Theres simply too many "best" guitarists out there.

I'm beginning to see the point about Hammet, and i think the above quote explains why. Hammet is a fairly decent player (IN MY OPINION! I'M NOT SAYING HE'S THE BEST!), but there are two sides to music - the performing and the writing. I think that you have made a good point UglyToe, creating music that moves someone can be seen as another goal besides the talent of actually playing the instrument. The point i am making is that Hammet is good on the performing side, but to my knowledge dosnt write much (if any) of Metallica's music (hetfield & Ulrich do it), and so all round cannot really be classed as the "best" guitarist, especially seeing as such claims have been rendered invalid.

# 19
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
03/07/2001 7:59 am

Well, I'd have to go with good old Vai, Satch, and Johnson.

What was the lead guitarist's name from Pink Floyd? . . . David something? Anyway, he was a great guitarist too. Nothing too fancy, just slow and melodic.

-Christoph
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.