Kirk Hammet
Mr. Randy
Eric Clapton
"I need a girl who's as hot as my guitar."
# 2
AtomicMassUnit
AtomicMassUnit
07/09/2000 6:08 am
bb king, roy nichols (merle haggard's guitarist), trey spruance (from mr bungle/faith no more), joe jack talcum (from dead milkmen), franche coma (from the original misfits with glen danzig), dean deleo, stevie ray (even though he rambles), and jonny greenwood (radiohead)

sortof leaning toward style rather than technical ability

Atomic

# 3
BarryS
BarryS
07/10/2000 5:44 am
This is such a difficult topic as there are so many excellent guitarists out there. I'll compile a short list of the guitarists who influence my playing the most. In random order:

Jimi Hendrix - this guy is the reason why I first picked up a guitar.

Carlos Santana

Alvin Lee

Stevie Ray Vaughan

Albert Collins

Buddy Guy - Greatest guitar player alive today (in my opinion)

Eric Clapton

Jimmy Page

Freddie King

Paul Simon - great acoustic fingerstyle playing

Albert King

Robbie Kreiger

George Harrison

B.B. King

Jorma Kaukonen

Keith Richards - If for nothing more than his playing on Beggars Banquet and Let It Bleed, I had to include him.

I think that about does it.

[This message has been edited by BarryS (edited 07-10-2000).]
# 4
KingB
KingB
07/10/2000 5:49 am
1. Alex Skolnick
2. Rocky George
3. Tony MacAlpine
4. Bruce ****burn
5. John Petrucci
6. Zakk Wylde

# 5
ekstasis16
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ekstasis16
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/10/2000 6:16 am
Vai
Satch
Petrucci
Rhoads
Andre Andersen (Royal Hunt)

...cream of the crop...
"When you're a young, long-haired guitarist, no one takes you seriously." - John Petrucci

www.erikhagen.net
Web - Photo - Audio
# 6
trendkillah
trendkillah
07/10/2000 9:43 am
In no particular order:

-Dimebag Darrel
-Dave Mustaine
-Marty Friedman
-Jason Becker
-Yngwie Malmsteen
-James Hetfield
-Joe Satriani
-Steve Vai
-John Petrucci
-Chuck Shuldiner

# 7
Jimi Hendrix
Jimi Hendrix
07/10/2000 2:24 pm
1. Magnus
2. Johan
3. That guy from Goo Goo Dolls

This list may change in a few days, since I am on drugs.

------------------
excuse me, but i must kiss the sky.
excuse me, but i must kiss the sky.
# 8
Peter Pan
Peter Pan
07/10/2000 9:02 pm
1. Richie Sambora (Bon Jovi)
2. Steve Lukather
3. Slash
To Hell with Vai, Satch, Hammet and the rest; these guys rule
# 9
ekstasis16
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ekstasis16
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/10/2000 9:16 pm
Watch your step, Mr. Pan, or you may find yourself getting knocked back into never-neverland...
"When you're a young, long-haired guitarist, no one takes you seriously." - John Petrucci

www.erikhagen.net
Web - Photo - Audio
# 10

07/11/2000 1:15 am
in no particular order

Slash
Randy Rhoads
SRV
Lenny Kravitz
Joe Perry
Paul Simon
Tom Morello (what the hell, he's innovative)
Satriani
Hendrix (sure what the hell... )

I suppose some of my choices based more upon songwriting ability, so it might not be entirely accurate.
# 11
BarryS
BarryS
07/11/2000 1:19 am
I'm starting to get the idea that I'm the only non-metalhead on this board.... sheesh... Is there a blues guitar forum around here somewheres?? j/k
# 12
BadHorsie
BadHorsie
07/11/2000 2:39 am
Although I have many favorite guitarists, there's really only one that sticks out the most. Vai, Vai, and Vai.

------------------
BadHorsie, holdin' it down like Gravity!
Ain't nothin' but a Gear thang, baby!
# 13
LuigiCabrini
LuigiCabrini
07/11/2000 3:36 am
No! You're not the only non-metalhead. I appreciate and really like the music of guys like satriani, johnson, and Vai, but I'd rather listen to people like Metheny, Mike Stern, Jimmy Bruno, John Mclaughlin, etc.
I've got no problem with metal musically except that I personally find that there tends to be less going on in a good metal band than in a good jazz combo.
The problem I have is the way that many of the fans (metallica fans come to mind) seem to think that because they like their favorite group/guitarrist/whatever, that this group/guitarrist is the best. I.E. Vai plays really fast and knows modes thus he is the most technically skilled and most knowledgable about theory. First of all, rock guitar players tend to ignore a lot of the less flashy points of theory. They tend to hurry up and get to the part about soloing, and thus I've never heard a rock guitarrist who was skilled at comping. Ask a rock guitarrist to play an F7 chord and he'll play you one of 2 clunky 6 string voicings. Does it ever occur to him that maybe a different voicing would work, maybe one without the root note, as it will only get in the way of the bassist if you play it? True, its not part of the rock style, but it an aspect of jazz that makes it more interesting (to me) to play jazz rythym than rock rythym. The fact that you can improvise different chord voicings even when you are reading them off a chart is something that I find adds a whole other dimension to accompanying, and gives you choices that you don't have in other styles where theres a set chord progression.
As for soloing, how many of the revered rock/metal guitar gods use passing tones well? No, I don't mean play long chromatic passages just like they did to the metronome, I mean connecting target notes and chord degrees with chromatic tones. It takes years to make this a part of one's improvising style that you don't even have to think about and can still sound good with. Most (most, i think petrucci is actually good at this) metal players I've heard are either playing in their minor scale of choice, or playing chromatic passages, but never seamlessly interspersing notes from the chromatic scale into their solos. Also, people who worship Vai/Yngwie/Petrucci always seem to think that there is nobody who practiced more than them ever, and that they play faster and more cleanly than anybody else ever. I'm sorry, but Pat Metheny played 10-13 hours a day too, either playing or studying harmony at the piano. If you want to hear an example of a very technical jazz guitarrist, listen to Jimmy Bruno. Unlike many metal guitarrists he won't be playing top speed for entire solos, he usually wont do it at all. When he does, (And this is on an archtop with 13 gague flatwound strings, not tuned down, much harder playing on an ibanez with 9 gagues,) if its not as fast as petrucci, you won't be able to tell the difference. I'm not saying he's better, I'm just saying that there's more to life than rock/metal, that there are also people who were inspired by wes montgomery, not Jimmy Page.
I've never seen a metal band where the musicians interact with each other in the way that they do in a good jazz band. It's pretty much impossible in a style with improvisation that is as limited as rock/metal. It's really impossible in a style where the improvisation is usually limited to one instrument-guitar-playing a solo in one given scale. (Again, while LTE may not be geniuses of tasteful improvisation, they're not afraid to go all out, so I respect them for that.)
If I came off as anti rock/metal, I didn't mean to. I am a fan of Satriani, Johnson, Vai, Zeppelin, Clapton, lots of non jazz musicians. My point was simply that by no means is the pinnacle of knowledge and skill with the guitar achieved in 80s metal. There is no such thing, and while there is lots of stuff that jazz guitarrists can do that metal guitarrists can't, in areas such as whammy bar technique, and creating sound effects a la EVH, metal guitarrists are more skilled. There are things that classical guitarrists can do that other guitarrists can't, such as play complex multiple lines simultaneously. Even the best classical guitarrists don't have the incredble rythymic skill in their right hands of the best flamenco guitarrists.
Finally, the point, there is no such thing as best guitarrist, and I suggest you all go out and buy some pat metheny, some jimmy bruno, some paco de lucia, and some allan holdsworth, and it will expand the horizons of those who previously only listened to metallica.

# 14
Uncle Istvan
Uncle Istvan
07/11/2000 4:15 am
Oy... I've been out for a week, but I'm back! I'd have to say my favorites are:

Vai
Satriani
Van Halen
Malmsteen
Cambell (from Dio)
Rhodes (the man who inspired me to pick up a guitar...)
Petrucci
Gambale

I decided recently that yeah... there is no best guitarist. Every guitar "god" is specialized in their own department. I used to live by the word of Vai and then realized that, hell, Gambale could kick Vai's ass in a different musical field without trying. But it's also the same the other way. Both are amazing players, but they are great in there own different ways.
# 15
BarryS
BarryS
07/11/2000 6:16 am
Hey guys, WAKE UP!! IT'S NOT THE 80'S ANYMORE!!!!

Just kidding.... You could say the same thing to me about the 60's....

Thanks for speaking up, Luigi. I was beginning to get a bit lonely. I see that you're quite a jazz fan. I'm surprised that you've mentioned nothing of the blues, however. Where the guitar be today if not for the blues? Long forgotten, probably. It was musicians like Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson, T-Bone Walker, Elmore James, B.B. King, Albert King, and the like who helped to elevate the guitar to its status as the chief instrument of rock and roll and popular music in general. I admire the torchbearing jazz musicians very much as well, but one must give credit where credit is due.

And, I'm sorry, but Steve Vai deserves none.

Now allow me to duck out of here before a lynch mob starts after me......
# 16
Uncle Istvan
Uncle Istvan
07/11/2000 7:04 am
Yeah... i too forgot to mention blues, which is weird, because it's my favorite to play. Although, I don't listen to a whole lot of blues, I just play the stuff- just like Jazz and Reggae- I listen to very little, but it's what I play most. I listen to a whole lot of metal and punk, but only play that at band practice... go figure... and Vai is great.
# 17
loner92
loner92
07/11/2000 7:51 am
Steve Vai
Kirk Hammet
Zakk Wylde
EVH
Jerry Cantrell

[This message has been edited by loner92 (edited 07-13-2000).]

# 18
BarryS
BarryS
07/11/2000 7:14 pm
Okay, so Vai is great. He can play fast and loud like Eddie Van Halen. But does he put as much heart and soul into his playing as, say, Eric Clapton or Jimi Hendrix? Or does he simply try to wow fans with his technique and guitar wizardry without worrying about emotion. Just like Albert King says on the In Session disc, "A lot of guitar players out here. They play fast, but they don't concentrate on no soul."

[This message has been edited by BarryS (edited 07-11-2000).]
# 19
ekstasis16
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ekstasis16
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/11/2000 7:37 pm
Please don't get me started. If you've thouroughly sifted through vai.com and read every interview you could find, you'd know otherwise.

Thats' all I have to say.

www.erikhagen.net
Web - Photo - Audio
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.