learners, come here first

Otto Ray Sing
Otto Ray Sing
08/23/2010 6:15 am
I'm an old buzzard, and I know that the older one is, the harder it is to learn. I was spending $100.00 a month for guitar lessons, and was getting nowhere. My instructor was attempting to teach me things that I totally didn't understand. I'm a person who has no background in music. I found this site awhile back, and through the basic learning courses, I've gained a much better understanding of music theory.

I had my doubts about an online course, but this is perfect. I like being able to keep returning to a certain lesson, and reviewing it. The video is excellent, and the closeups are very well done. I can actually see what strings I'm supposed to be striking, and how they should be strummed.

Now, instead of chasing everybody out of the house, I actually have people encouraging me. To all of the excellent teachers here, I wish to send you my sincere thanks.
We grow too soon old, and too late smart.
# 1
dutchfinest
Full Access
dutchfinest
Full Access
08/23/2010 7:44 am
No one is too old to learn.

I am 27 and started playing recently as well. Couldn't read notes. Could barely hold a guitar. I have a teacher (brilliant guitarist), but the only thing I learned is that 1.5 hours of private lessons might get you some where over the course of 15 years, but that would take too long for me.

Guitartricks does indeed help out a lot.
only thing I would like to say is zentoa.com/guitar can help you with the theory also a bit. Explained in easy English which helped me understand things better.

Just complete every single tutorial on this site and if you play them all you should be an excellent guitarist.

(there are only 1329 tutorials + tips and tricks)

Jeroen
• "Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence."

• "Do not worry about your difficulties in Mathematics. I can assure you mine are still greater."
# 2
KerryInHolland
Born to boogie
KerryInHolland
Born to boogie
08/26/2010 6:44 pm
I'm 41 and just learning, too. Have heart! I think it's quite cool that anybody dares to learn guitar.

I kept dreaming about it. That's why I started. I was picking up a guitar in my dreams and was able to play beautifully. What dreams, eh?

I do have a background in music, so some of the things won't be as difficult for me (I can read music) but my instrument is flute. Quite a different instrument!
Ibanez V50 / Started learning 26 August 2010
# 3
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
08/27/2010 7:26 am
Hello everyone,
I think anyone can learn guitar, they just have to want to do it. I didn't know theory, how to read music, or hardly any technique when I started. Now I play in multiple genres, and teach a lot of technique here at GT.

It seems like you all have what you need to learn, because you're willing to learn, and you want to. It's fine to have knowledge of music, but it's not a requirement. The great thing about what we have is that we teach how to learn it, and apply it to guitar.

Even if you can't read music now, you will see progress in your playing as you go through the lessons. Let us know how it goes, and we're always here to help.
# 4
dutchfinest
Full Access
dutchfinest
Full Access
08/27/2010 7:31 am
Hi Kerry,

good to see I am not the only dutch person around trying to work it's way with, what something people tend to call, a guitar.

Hope you enjoy this place as much as I do.
• "Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence."

• "Do not worry about your difficulties in Mathematics. I can assure you mine are still greater."
# 5
GuitarPsy
Full Access
GuitarPsy
Full Access
08/27/2010 12:53 pm
hah dutch, I've been doing that for the last seven years :rolleyes:
= good music is good drinking =
# 6
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
08/27/2010 5:15 pm
Originally Posted by: Otto Ray SingI found this site awhile back, and through the basic learning courses, I've gained a much better understanding of music theory.

I had my doubts about an online course, but this is perfect.

Glad you are getting value from GT! Thanks for the compliments & you are welcome for the lessons. :)

Best of success with the guitar.
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 7
ronald r
ronald r
08/28/2010 12:01 am
i'm 53 started playing in oct 09 , i read an artical in aarp on excersing your brain 1 suggestion learn to play an instrument,here i am today , i really enjoy
this site been a great help, far better than books and cd's.
i've improve a lot since oct. i'm hoping to find some 1 on 1 help.
i've been practicing at least an 1 hr a day min, i wish i had more time

enjoy

ron
# 8

09/09/2010 3:01 am
I just started learning guitar this week as well as finding GT. I am 52 and have always loved music and don't know why I never gave playing an instrument a chance. Bought a cheap Squier Strat at a Labor Day sale at Guitar Center. I am pretty sure within a few months, I will buy something better, just need to get some experience first.

Marc - Simi Valley, CA
# 9
samata
samata
09/09/2010 4:46 am
Originally Posted by: Otto Ray SingI'm an old buzzard, and I know that the older one is, the harder it is to learn.

I'm not sure I agree with that. Not sure where I am relative to "old buzzard", but I AM 47. so, I can at least make some comment to that... :)
I actually find it easier to learn. Because now, I know not only HOW to learn, but how *I* learn. And, that's half the battle. For instance, if I need to learn A, B, C and D, I know the way that *I* have to learn it is to learn A. Then add B. Then learn A-B. Then Add C. Then learn A-B-C, etc.

I, too, am new to the guitar, at about 1.5 months. Though, I sing, can read music, and have played saxophone for about 7 years. I wish I hadn't waited so long to switch. As much as I like sax, the guitar is just SO much more versatile.I like that it is linear to music. What I mean is, if I'm looking for G#, I know that it's going to be between G and A. On a sax, G# is a G, but you take your pinky, and add that little valve on the side... :)

The other thing that I really like is that as opposed to the sax, you not only can play it, but play WITH it. With sax (and other instruments) you blow into it, finger it, and make a note. I love that I can pick up a guitar, pluck a string, slide my finger up and down and think, "oooo....that's a neat sound", etc.

So far so good :)
Quickly advancing from inept to semi-ept
# 10
dutchfinest
Full Access
dutchfinest
Full Access
09/09/2010 9:20 am
Originally Posted by: mneveuxI just started learning guitar this week as well as finding GT. I am 52 and have always loved music and don't know why I never gave playing an instrument a chance. Bought a cheap Squier Strat at a Labor Day sale at Guitar Center. I am pretty sure within a few months, I will buy something better, just need to get some experience first.

Marc - Simi Valley, CA

I am not sure what squier you have.
I have a Fender Squier Classic Vibe 50's although it has been massively altered it was one of the best guitars i had already in original state.

good amp does miracles

# 11

09/09/2010 2:37 pm
Originally Posted by: dutchfinestI am not sure what squier you have.
I have a Fender Squier Classic Vibe 50's although it has been massively altered it was one of the best guitars i had already in original state.

good amp does miracles

It is a Squier Bullet Strat at only $100 can't be too good but it works. Playing it through a Roland cube amp that was leftover from a Vdrums set I gave to a nephew. I actually started with drums about 4 months ago but was getting too much grief from my wife about all the noise and could not practice as much as I wanted so I switched to guitar. Still have the acoustic drume and use them when nobody else is home.
# 12
dutchfinest
Full Access
dutchfinest
Full Access
09/10/2010 7:39 am
I still use a roland cube 30x with headphones when i practise as well. Since it is not always appreciated when i noodle around.

Fender through a Fender DeVille Deluxe is massive, but overwhelming as well.

Too many nice guitars in the world

# 13
psylocke24
psylocke24
09/10/2010 8:25 am
I am just a starter I am taking this guitar lessons for two weeks now. It is really hard to memorize the cord and the notes, I am 26 and still find myself not a fast learner that's why I'm here trying to explore and hopefully learn from some of the experts here.
# 14
dutchfinest
Full Access
dutchfinest
Full Access
09/10/2010 9:12 am
Originally Posted by: psylocke24I am just a starter I am taking this guitar lessons for two weeks now. It is really hard to memorize the cord and the notes, I am 26 and still find myself not a fast learner that's why I'm here trying to explore and hopefully learn from some of the experts here.

Hi Psy,

Just start with open chords Major, work then to minor. and you will slowly start to see how these chords get created. It all makes sense, just listen to what Christopher has to say and you will progress like you have never progressed before

# 15
poisonivy24
poisonivy24
09/12/2010 6:47 pm
I agree, my tutor also told me to enjoy everything so that you never get bored.
# 16
psylocke24
psylocke24
09/12/2010 6:52 pm
Originally Posted by: dutchfinestHi Psy,

Just start with open chords Major, work then to minor. and you will slowly start to see how these chords get created. It all makes sense, just listen to what Christopher has to say and you will progress like you have never progressed before

Thanks for the advice. I hope I can see the progress soon.
# 17
babyrockstar
babyrockstar
09/12/2010 7:21 pm
Also read some inspirational articles like this one that caught my eye http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Blogs/Arlen-Roth-s-Blog/December-2009/Hanging-Out-with-Scotty-Moore!.aspx I never thought that the guitarist of Elvis is still alive and still learning. Even at his age he never stop learning.
# 18

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.