View post (learners, come here first)

View thread

samata
samata
09/09/2010 4:46 am
Originally Posted by: Otto Ray SingI'm an old buzzard, and I know that the older one is, the harder it is to learn.

I'm not sure I agree with that. Not sure where I am relative to "old buzzard", but I AM 47. so, I can at least make some comment to that... :)
I actually find it easier to learn. Because now, I know not only HOW to learn, but how *I* learn. And, that's half the battle. For instance, if I need to learn A, B, C and D, I know the way that *I* have to learn it is to learn A. Then add B. Then learn A-B. Then Add C. Then learn A-B-C, etc.

I, too, am new to the guitar, at about 1.5 months. Though, I sing, can read music, and have played saxophone for about 7 years. I wish I hadn't waited so long to switch. As much as I like sax, the guitar is just SO much more versatile.I like that it is linear to music. What I mean is, if I'm looking for G#, I know that it's going to be between G and A. On a sax, G# is a G, but you take your pinky, and add that little valve on the side... :)

The other thing that I really like is that as opposed to the sax, you not only can play it, but play WITH it. With sax (and other instruments) you blow into it, finger it, and make a note. I love that I can pick up a guitar, pluck a string, slide my finger up and down and think, "oooo....that's a neat sound", etc.

So far so good :)
Quickly advancing from inept to semi-ept