JOAN JETT Part 2

wildwoman1313
Full Access
wildwoman1313
Full Access
08/04/2010 10:55 pm

Joan Jett fought hard to be taken seriously as a woman in rock ‘n’ roll. As a member of the all-girl band The Runaways and later with her band the Blackhearts, she was often spit on and called names like “slut” and “dyke” by men who felt threatened at the sight of a woman rocking out with a guitar. But Jett made no apologies for being female. She never changed her image to accommodate the mainstream’s idea of what a woman with a guitar should look like and never sacrificed her dream on the altar of the rock gods.

After Jett left The Runaways in the spring of 1979, she headed to England to pursue a solo career where she recorded an early cover version of “I Love Rock ‘n’ Roll” at the suggestion of her new manager, Toby Mamis, who thought it could be a huge hit for Jett. Originally written and recorded in 1975 by The Arrows, Joan recorded the song and three others with Paul Cook and Steve Jones of the Sex Pistols before reluctantly heading back to Los Angeles later that year to fulfill an obligation of The Runaways to complete a film that was loosely based on the band’s career.

While working on the film (which was eventually scrapped when Jett suffered a lengthy illness and later turned up in bits and pieces in the underground movie Du-beat-e-o), Jett met songwriter and producer Kenny Laguna, who had been hired by Mamis to assist her with writing some tracks for the film. The two hit it off instantly, prompting Jett to follow Laguna back to Long Beach, New York, where she cut her self-titled solo debut with him at the helm. In addition to the songs she’d recorded with Jones and Cook in Britain, the album also included other tracks that were recorded with guest musicians Clem Burke and Frank Infante of Blondie, The Ramones’ Barbara, Dee Dee and Marky Ramone, and The Tyla Gang’s Sean Tyla, Micky Groome and Paul Simmons.

Joan Jett was released in the UK in May 1980 yet no American record company would touch it. Jett was rejected by no fewer than 23 major labels in the US. "I really dug Joan and I thought she was really talented,” says Laguna. “It got me that no one would sign her to the point that it pissed me off. I thought she deserved it.” Frustrated but undeterred, Jett decided to release the album independently and pooled her personal savings together with Laguna’s daughter’s college savings and the two created their own label, Blackheart Records.

Joan also put together a band by the same name. After placing an ad in the L.A. Weekly, auditions were held and Jett selected bassist and longtime Runaways fan Gary Ryan, guitarist Eric Ambel, and drummer Danny O’Brien to fill the slots. As Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, the band played several gigs at the Golden Bear and Whisky a Go Go in Hollywood before embarking on their first European tour. When they returned to the States without O’Brien, who chose to remain in England, Jett brought on Lee Crystal as drummer and the group set off to tour the US, selling copies of Jett’s album out of the trunk of Laguna’s Cadillac after each performance. By this time the record had gathered enough momentum to warrant the attention of Neil Bogart of Boardwalk Records who signed Jett and re-released Joan Jett in January 1981 under the title Bad Reputation. The album proved a moderate success for Jett.

After almost a year of touring, Jett replaced Ambel with local guitarist Ricky Byrd and cut her first album with the Blackhearts. I Love Rock ‘n’ Roll dropped in December 1981 and exploded on the charts. The single of the same name became a rock anthem for Jett when the song hit #1 on the Billboard charts where it remained for seven consecutive weeks. Jett and her band were thrust into the big league, playing sellout tours alongside bands like The Police, Queen, and Aerosmith. A string of Top 40 hits followed including Jett’s cover of Tommy James’ “Crimson and Clover” and “I Hate Myself for Loving You” from the Blackheart’s album Up Your Alley.

Joan Jett and the Blackhearts released a slew of albums in subsequent years including Album (1983); Glorious Results of a Misspent Youth (1984); Good Music (1986); the multi-platinum Up Your Alley (1988); an album of cover songs called The Hit List (1990); Notorious (1991); the compilation album Flashback (1993) which Jett and Laguna released on their own Blackheart Records; Pure and Simple (1994); Evil Stig (1995), a live album Jett recorded with punk band The Gits; the fan club only release 1979 (1995); a re-mastered version of Bad Reputation (1999) on CD that included several bonus tracks; Naked (2004); Sinner (2006); and most recently, a 2-CD Greatest Hits album that was released in March and includes four newly re-recorded songs, three of which are Runaways hits and one track from her I Love Rock ‘n’ Roll album.

Jett also branched out into acting and has appeared on film, television, and on Broadway in the production of The Rocky Horror Show and recently served as executive producer for the biographical film The Runaways starring Kristen Stewart of Twilight fame as Jett. She continues to foster new talent and has produced several bands through her now 30-year-old Blackheart label which she and Laguna keep viable in an effort to release albums by artists who otherwise wouldn’t have a chance.

Joan Jett was named #87 on Rolling Stone’s greatest 100 guitarists of all time. She was one of only two women to make the list, the other being Joni Mitchell at #72. She was listed as one of Blender’s “hottest women of rock” 21 years after she started The Runaways and has been honored by Gibson with a signature model of her Melody Maker.

Through it all, the one constant in Joan Jett's career and personal life has been Kenny Laguna. Their shared love of music has resulted in a mutually satisfying partnership that has lasted longer than most marriages. "We're very good, close friends,” says Laguna. “There's never been a thought of walking away from Joan, although I've heard it before and been advised many times to walk away. It's like this is my friend and regardless of what the business is, I'm going to stay with my friend. Our friendship and respect is what holds it all together.”

When asked about goals, Jett says that ultimately you have to follow your dreams. “I really feel that people beat down other people’s dreams constantly. Make an attempt to fulfill yourself, and if you don’t quite get there, you’ll have great stories to tell along the way.”

For more on Joan Jett, check out the recently published hardcover biography and picture book Joan Jett, which is co-authored by Jett and designer Todd Oldham and spans her career from The Runaways to her current status as a solo artist.

Joan Jett and the Blackhearts kick off a run of concert dates in Chicago, Illinois, on August 8th and will join Aerosmith on their Western Canadian tour beginning in September. Visit Jett’s website at www.joanjett.com or www.blackheart.com for further information.
# 1
queeniegirl
queeniegirl
08/06/2010 8:09 pm
So tired of hearing this garbage.
Let's get the facts straight.
There is Fanny. I was in it. Started way before the Runaways and signed to Warner Bros. Records in 1968.
Birtha also on a major label before Runaways
Goldie And the Gingerbreads also on a major label way before the Runaways.

The Runaways were put together by a sleazy promo guy who ripped off everyone in the industry.. no names used here.
It was a prefab group who had no depth and were a bunch of druggies.
No real viable music ever came out of it.

I do respect Joan for finally getting clean. Way to go Joan!!!
I was at their Record showcase when these guys were trying to get a deal.
The band Fanny was invited. So there ya go. The truth behind the crap.
Thanks for the article on Joan.
# 2
RCbeastly
Full Access
RCbeastly
Full Access
08/07/2010 8:51 am
Don't forget the Liverbirds - the "female beatles" - formed in the early '60's - they broke up in 1967.

But I don't see alot of point in arguing. The only one that I have ever seen in a music shop is the Runaways. I still have The Runaways and Queens of Noise. I was a fan as a teenager in the '70's and still like to listen to them. I wouldn't call that "no real viable music".
# 3
johnorlitta
johnorlitta
08/07/2010 5:37 pm
I believe MTV helped get artists like Joan Jett and the Blackhearts out into the spotlight, lightning fast.
# 4
RCbeastly
Full Access
RCbeastly
Full Access
08/14/2010 6:57 am
Reading QueenieGirl's comments led me to do a bit of net searching about all-girl bands from the '60's & '70's - and there are literally hundreds. Most were garage bands whose popularity didn't stretch too far beyond their own geographic area, some made some kind of mark outside their local area (The Liverbirds and The Continental Co-Ets for example) and some (thanks to the "Music Industry") were made up bands to front for the real artists (eg The Whyte Boots). There is so much great music out there that we'll probably never get to hear, thanks to the likes of commercial radio and tv channels like MTV. That still doesn't take away from the fact that I was listening to the Runaway's in the mid-to-late '70's. I'm from a small town in the Central West of NSW in Australia. Our local radio station didn't have what you would call a "wide selection" of music. I got most of my musical inluences from my big brother, including the Runaways. Where he found them I don't know, but I do know that I never heard any of their songs on any radio or TV statios, so their popularity, in my region of Australia at least, wasn't down to commercial hype. Their music was similar to the other bands I was into at the time - Deep Purple, Status Quo, BTO, The Sweet, Rainbow, Black Sabbath, Slade and Kiss, (ok - so I was into 'Heavy' music), most of which were not highly 'commercial' at the time.
# 5
Neal Walter
GuitarTricks Channel Host
Neal Walter
GuitarTricks Channel Host
04/09/2011 5:43 am
Hi queeniegirl,

I want to thank you for chiming in on our Joan Jett article and we apologize for mis-quoting The Runaways as the first all-girl rock band. I've removed 'first' from our article to make it accurate.

Fanny seriously rocked, you were/are all rock solid musicians. We had fun learning about your band and checking out the tunes. Not many bands had the nerve to put out a cover a Clapton song, and you girls rocked it.

@RCbeastly: We just finished a YouTube video tour of all girl bands from the 60s, we had no idea there were that many!

To anyone reading this, you should check out Fanny, the "Godmothers of Chick Rock" :cool:

http://fannyrocks.com/

BTW, that "sleazy promo guy" came to my apt. when I lived in Hollywood to pitch a promo deal to my roommates band. He's a trip, to say the least. They declined.

Rock on queeniegirl! \,,/,
[FONT=Book Antiqua][FONT=Arial][FONT=Tahoma]Neal
GT Channel Host[/FONT]
[/FONT][/FONT]

http://www.guitartricks.com/channel/
# 6
hrandersoniii
hrandersoniii
04/09/2011 6:23 pm
I'd have been pissed off as well! After looking at your website there... all I have to ask is WTF?!? You all made it to various television shows LONG before Joan Jet EVER had any kind of fame! And not to mention.. you all were HOT!
You all rocked it with class and nothing was added to the music like crap that these people need today to make "Music". These voice synthesizers, computer generated effects and so on! I am ashamed that people couldn't or even WOULDN'T have taken your band much more seriously.
The 70s though was a different time for everything... music, equal rights, sexuality, drugs, and even the basic living standards. In order for you all to have gotten as far as you did was an amazing achievement as it was.. but to never have had the recognition for it today is heartbreaking since you are here and it's now on a personal level.
I am glad that I got to see what you achieved back when. I loved the tunes on fannyrocks.com and wished that I had known of your tunes when I was discovering what I liked back when.. (Sorry to make ya sound ancient.. I am 43 myself and was but only a child when you were out there doing that amazing stuff! So please don't take ANY kind of offense to the age thing!)
Thank you VERY much for coming out and voicing your anger over that article. I would have NEVER known! And I am glad you are here with us beginners to share your experiences!
Big Hug and Many Kisses!
Howard

PS Also Neal.. Thank you for taking that "First" out of that article.. you have corrected a MAJOR wrong for someone much more worthy...
# 7
gibson502
gibson502
07/27/2011 11:25 pm
While I certainly understand queeniegirl's frustration with The Runaways being widely regarded as the "first all female rock band" it is a bit hypocritical that Fanny's site claims they are the first all female rock band signed to a major label, which is also untrue, and the statement that they had a number of international hit singles is also stretching the truth a bit. This is not to disregard their place in rock history nor the incredible musicianship of this band, and the world should certainly know the truth, alas, it can't really be found on Fanny's site either. The viability of the Runaway's music has been decided by the masses and like it or not they are considered legends by most rock historians. They are clearly of a different aesthetic than Fanny. A bunch of teenagers with rudimentary musicianship and a dream (in other words I don't think that depth was on their radar) vs. accomplished and mature musicians with grander aspirations. The druggie comment could apply to countless bands, male or female, and pre-fab? I guess that depends on who you ask as Kim, Joan, Sandy etc. all have a different story. I personally think both bands have their merits, but are on two entirely different planes.
# 8
wingman23
wingman23
07/28/2011 1:51 am
Who's Joan Jett, and fanny..... lol. fanny means something other than your backside or the spirit of a woman watching over them (as they say on their website...) here in the uk it means something else. (hint... ladies front bottom... cough..... ) ;-)

Is this an American thing,never heard of them, here in the Uk the first female rock band i remember was Girls school who i believe started out as a supporting band for motorhead (i think) which was back in the 70's, i remember them always being in the charts and stuff when i was a randy testosterone filled teenager... ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZB19EEymJA&feature=related
# 9
gibson502
gibson502
07/30/2011 12:41 am
lol..I know what Fanny means in the UK...I don't think those ladies did though, not at the time. They were an all female band from the late 60's early Seventies....Joan Jett was probably a bit more well known, but in the UK she hasn't had much of a presence since the early 80's, and in the Runaways in the 70's. I saw Girlschool open for Quiet Riot in the early 80's.
# 10

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.