View post (JOAN JETT Part 2)

View thread

gibson502
gibson502
07/27/2011 11:25 pm
While I certainly understand queeniegirl's frustration with The Runaways being widely regarded as the "first all female rock band" it is a bit hypocritical that Fanny's site claims they are the first all female rock band signed to a major label, which is also untrue, and the statement that they had a number of international hit singles is also stretching the truth a bit. This is not to disregard their place in rock history nor the incredible musicianship of this band, and the world should certainly know the truth, alas, it can't really be found on Fanny's site either. The viability of the Runaway's music has been decided by the masses and like it or not they are considered legends by most rock historians. They are clearly of a different aesthetic than Fanny. A bunch of teenagers with rudimentary musicianship and a dream (in other words I don't think that depth was on their radar) vs. accomplished and mature musicians with grander aspirations. The druggie comment could apply to countless bands, male or female, and pre-fab? I guess that depends on who you ask as Kim, Joan, Sandy etc. all have a different story. I personally think both bands have their merits, but are on two entirely different planes.