View post (JOAN JETT Part 2)

View thread

RCbeastly
Full Access
RCbeastly
Full Access
08/14/2010 6:57 am
Reading QueenieGirl's comments led me to do a bit of net searching about all-girl bands from the '60's & '70's - and there are literally hundreds. Most were garage bands whose popularity didn't stretch too far beyond their own geographic area, some made some kind of mark outside their local area (The Liverbirds and The Continental Co-Ets for example) and some (thanks to the "Music Industry") were made up bands to front for the real artists (eg The Whyte Boots). There is so much great music out there that we'll probably never get to hear, thanks to the likes of commercial radio and tv channels like MTV. That still doesn't take away from the fact that I was listening to the Runaway's in the mid-to-late '70's. I'm from a small town in the Central West of NSW in Australia. Our local radio station didn't have what you would call a "wide selection" of music. I got most of my musical inluences from my big brother, including the Runaways. Where he found them I don't know, but I do know that I never heard any of their songs on any radio or TV statios, so their popularity, in my region of Australia at least, wasn't down to commercial hype. Their music was similar to the other bands I was into at the time - Deep Purple, Status Quo, BTO, The Sweet, Rainbow, Black Sabbath, Slade and Kiss, (ok - so I was into 'Heavy' music), most of which were not highly 'commercial' at the time.