Yngwie is a wannabe

Zeppelin
Zeppelin
08/23/2000 10:21 pm
I can sure tell that all of u who likes Yngwie probably will like Blackmore
the only problem is that Yngwie is a copy of blackmore, he's just little blackmore shadow

"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is not I who am crazy.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 1
bofatron sofasaurus
bofatron sofasaurus
08/23/2000 11:06 pm
Nothing is easier than driveby judgments. I can't claim to be a Yngwie fan but I've heard him enough to recognize that the man's vibrato is as good as anyone's and his intonation is dead on -- not made easier by a scalloped fretboard.

Instead of just bashing people I would rather try to find something interesting and valuable in their work.

Tribalism is just not a lot of fun if you ask me and music isn't a spectator sport where you root for your team and hope the opponent bites the dust.

But maybe I'm just wrong. I was wrong once. ;-)
http://shredlikehell.com
Shred Like Hell
# 2
trendkillah
trendkillah
08/24/2000 9:01 am
quote:
Originally posted by Zeppelin:
I can sure tell that all of u who likes Yngwie probably will like Blackmore
the only problem is that Yngwie is a copy of blackmore, he's just little blackmore shadow

Yes, thats absolutely true.
Also, Steve Vai sounds exactly the same as Joe Satriani.

# 3
trendkillah
trendkillah
08/24/2000 9:03 am
Oops, that doesnt sound so sarcastic as when i said it out loud.
# 4
Willdridge
Willdridge
08/24/2000 9:23 am
hehe - Don't worry trendkillah, I think most of us got it...Not gonna say anythin' since I've never heard anything from Blackmore, but I reasonably certain that Yngwie playing style, (use of a vibrato, bending, etc.) is unique enough for people to tell its him...whether or not he's copied someone else.....
Don't worry too much about me, ignore me long enough and I'll go away.
# 5
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
08/24/2000 10:56 am
Thanks to all the people who said here
their opinion... but this is not something i invited myself one day when i was bored...
The fact that Yngwie coping from Blackmore
is something that i heard from people
who have much more expirience in music then me, so say what you want there... there's nothing wrong with influence but even i can take a song, add vibrato here and there and to say it's mine...
"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 6
trendkillah
trendkillah
08/24/2000 1:41 pm
Being influenced by other guitar players will finally make you develop your own style.

If you say that Yngwie was heavily influenced by Blackmore, thats absolutely true.
But saying that he is just a copy, well, i dont agree.
Sure you wil hear certain influences in his playing that remind you of Blackmore.
But you will hear influences in almost every player.(wich isnt a bad thing, or means that he is copying someone elses playing!)
# 7
bofatron sofasaurus
bofatron sofasaurus
08/24/2000 2:24 pm
quote:
...even i can take a song, add vibrato here and there and to say it's mine... [/B]

Okay, then let's listen to you and see if you're as original as you'd like to think you are. Do you have any audio clips that we can listen to?

Shred Like Hell
# 8
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
jake sommers
High Bandwidth
08/24/2000 3:11 pm
YEAH!!!!!!
"Take my hand boss"
# 9
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
08/24/2000 5:49 pm
Well fist of all: i dont have any sound clips, if i will have i will post one here , and the guy who said that i think i'm original - i'm not , and when i will be i will record myself for shore.. the guy who thinks he's original is yngwie...
Maybe yngwie has better vibrato than blackmore, or better technique, but it's like i will play ode to joy, but with little change and all of you will say i'm great guitarist... so ok i have good technique but i'm not original... it's not so hard to take other people songs and to change something and to say "Whow i'm good"
but the difference between great guitarists like blackmore , page , townshend and others is that they have written their stuff... they didnt just took someone's stuff and changed it a little bit... it's ok to be influenced by people you can't be good player if you are not listening to music and dont being influenced by it, but to be someone's clone is not such a good thing
P.S all the fans of metallica out there, who think that metallica is the best band ever:
you should listen to deep purple to...

[This message has been edited by Zeppelin (edited 08-24-2000).]
"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 10
bofatron sofasaurus
bofatron sofasaurus
08/24/2000 6:15 pm
quote:
the guy who thinks he's original is yngwie...
Maybe yngwie has better vibrato than blackmore, or better technique, but it's like i will play ode to joy, but with little change and all of you will say i'm great guitarist... so ok i have good technique but i'm not original... it's not so hard to take other people songs and to change something and to say "Whow i'm good"
but the difference between great guitarists like blackmore , page , townshend and others is that they have written their stuff... they didnt just took someone's stuff and changed it a little bit... [/B]

Well, I think one thing is true and that is Yngwie does not suffer a problem of self-confidence. He does have quite the ego. And I think you might be right that Yngwie is 'better' at covering the music of other people rather than composing his own. Well, maybe. But I'm thinking of SCM cover that thing is incredible. And then there's his interpretations of classical pieces. But how fair is it to hold Yngwie to the same song-writing standards as Hendrix and famous composers of the 19th century. But even still, he can write original pieces and they are good.

I wasn't trying to provoke you are make you angry. I was just trying to point out that while it seems to be frequent human behavior to sort out and categorize the things you like from the things you don't (and throwing a lot of things into boxes marked "bad" etc) from an educational standpoint it makes no sense.

I've been playing a long time and I could say, "yngwie" is a wanker but I wouldn't. Because I bet I could still learn something from him and most good guitarists. He isn't still around because he is a hack. He's still around because he inspires people.

So, why waste your time by sorting out the guitarists you like from the ones you don't. Instead, pick up your guitar and start playing. Don't worry about these things -- they are non-issues. Yngwie is. Blackmore is.

Bofatron is

Shred Like Hell
# 11
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
08/24/2000 7:43 pm
Well first of all , bofatron sofasaurus:
you're right 100% about it.i myself prefer to play the guitar and not to argue about people. It's just very sad that when i say to people in my age (im 16 by the way) i like deep purple they start laughing, like "they played 100 years ago..." and "do they have any good songs exept for smoke on the water?"
I'm just tired of people out there who locked up on one band, and wont open to others. that's why when people start to prove me that metallica is "the best band ever" , or yngwie is a great guitarist all i can say "listen to deep purple" i mean maybe they are "oldies", and gillan lost his voice but almost anything that people do today people like blackmore and page done 10-20 years before... So all can i say is that it's hard to be original 100% in music, and probably if you get to yngwie's level and being so famous, you have that something that makes you different from others, but before you laugh about the "oldies" listen to them... i'm sure that when you will , you will understand my point.

"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 12
bofatron sofasaurus
bofatron sofasaurus
08/25/2000 12:38 am
quote:
Originally posted by Zeppelin:
...before you laugh about the "oldies" listen to them... i'm sure that when you will , you will understand my point.

Oh, Zep, I ain't laughing -- I'm an oldie myself (35). I just hope that the internet can open people up to more than they find in Guitar Player magazine and the rest of them. Try any Buckethead lately?

Shred Like Hell
# 13
Tim
Tim
09/25/2000 8:32 pm
sounds like to me that "Zepplin" is a wannabe. And a bit coky too. Hey zep seems you give yourself more credit than what you diserve. Get my drift??

[This message has been edited by Tim (edited 09-25-2000).]
# 14
Luke
Luke
09/25/2000 10:55 pm
Hi guys, well I'll chime in here while I have some time.

Listen guys, all this sinceless bickering is really starting to wear thin.

I mean , unless someone like that person "Panterawannabe" comes on
here and just starts running their mouth about something moronic, then just let it go so the rest of us don't have to look at mindless squabbles.

Thanks

[This message has been edited by Luke (edited 09-25-2000).]
When attempting the impossible, you achieve the best possible
# 15
OldSkoolPunk02
OldSkoolPunk02
09/26/2000 12:20 pm
Hey Zep I know how you feel about other teens not into oldies. (Im 17) I love older bands I even listen to 40's big band stuff. I almost slaped a guy cus he said "Who's Hendrix?" lol Thats also why I only watch VH1 cus they got all the good bands on there. Well unless you stay up till 4:00am to watch and metal on MTV. lol Me and like 3 other people at our school where like new age hippies. We where the only people into Doors, Grateful Dead, Janis Joplin, Jimmie. While we got laughed at by the Limp Bizket wannabes.

------------------
Is it just me or does life suck? Maybe I suck and it just life? We shall never know...

[This message has been edited by OldSkoolPunk02 (edited 09-26-2000).]
Is it just me or does life suck? Maybe I suck and it just life? We shall never know...
Up with dope! Down with hope!
A guitar is like a woman, touch her right, and she shall sing.
# 16
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
09/26/2000 6:58 pm
Yeah! you are so right!!! all this limp bisquit fans! they are everywhere!!!!!!!!
There is a guy here in my city, that every time he see me he ask me if i "want to go to his basment and play some smoke on the water"
and then he just starting to laugh....
i just dont get it!!! i mean if we didnt have deep purple probably there were no metallica and other bands ... why people just cant get it?? and all those people that write every where "Pop sucks" and other stuff like that on the school tables get the point: Korn Limp biskit and lots of other "Alternative bands" are just another way of pop and earning money!!!!
"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 17
Zeppelin
Zeppelin
09/26/2000 7:08 pm
Yo Tim.. i dont think i'm wannabe...
believe me i'd like to be in malmsteen level one day... and believe me that all the people that made rock-revolution in their closets on the last 2 years are wannabes...
i mean 3-4 years ago people were laughing at me that i was listening to any rock music at all... 2 years ago everybody had a switch here, maybe because metallica performed here - i dunno, and then people started to laugh at me because i listen to old rock and blues rock and not all the heavy or funk metal stuff... now people stops laughing at me... why?? because finally they understand where the good music begins... and now there are people that laughed on me year ago cause i'm deep purple fan , and they're like starting to say that were deep purple fans all the time and never laughed at me... so i got real tired of it and poste the yngwie is a wannabe post, not cause i think i'm very good player or somethig...
i hope you understood my point...
"They think im crazy..
but i know better.
It is I who am mad.."

ren hoek
# 18
Tim
Tim
09/26/2000 7:41 pm
Whos Hin-DICKS?

[This message has been edited by Tim (edited 09-27-2000).]
# 19
Tim
Tim
09/26/2000 7:44 pm
Personally I don't see why people say he's great. I don't think he's anywhere near the best. The only reason I have an ounce of respect for him is for "little wing" But I don't like his verson, i like S.R.V's version much better. I'm glad the gourvement killed him and all those pot smoking hippies!
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.