View post (Yngwie is a wannabe)

View thread

bofatron sofasaurus
bofatron sofasaurus
08/24/2000 6:15 pm
quote:
the guy who thinks he's original is yngwie...
Maybe yngwie has better vibrato than blackmore, or better technique, but it's like i will play ode to joy, but with little change and all of you will say i'm great guitarist... so ok i have good technique but i'm not original... it's not so hard to take other people songs and to change something and to say "Whow i'm good"
but the difference between great guitarists like blackmore , page , townshend and others is that they have written their stuff... they didnt just took someone's stuff and changed it a little bit... [/B]

Well, I think one thing is true and that is Yngwie does not suffer a problem of self-confidence. He does have quite the ego. And I think you might be right that Yngwie is 'better' at covering the music of other people rather than composing his own. Well, maybe. But I'm thinking of SCM cover that thing is incredible. And then there's his interpretations of classical pieces. But how fair is it to hold Yngwie to the same song-writing standards as Hendrix and famous composers of the 19th century. But even still, he can write original pieces and they are good.

I wasn't trying to provoke you are make you angry. I was just trying to point out that while it seems to be frequent human behavior to sort out and categorize the things you like from the things you don't (and throwing a lot of things into boxes marked "bad" etc) from an educational standpoint it makes no sense.

I've been playing a long time and I could say, "yngwie" is a wanker but I wouldn't. Because I bet I could still learn something from him and most good guitarists. He isn't still around because he is a hack. He's still around because he inspires people.

So, why waste your time by sorting out the guitarists you like from the ones you don't. Instead, pick up your guitar and start playing. Don't worry about these things -- they are non-issues. Yngwie is. Blackmore is.

Bofatron is
http://shredlikehell.com

Shred Like Hell