Strobe tuner?

hunter1801
hunter1801
06/30/2010 3:10 am
I was going to buy a Planet Waves PW-CT-04 Chromatic tuner, but then I saw another tuner by PW that was a strobe tuner (PW-CT-11 Tru-Strobe). What is the difference between a strobe and the other type? Why would I want one over the other?
# 1
hunter1801
hunter1801
07/03/2010 8:14 pm
Anyone have any comments on strobe tuners? :confused:
# 2
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
07/04/2010 7:46 pm
It's just an alternate display mode for a tuner, as far as I know. I ordered this one http://www.stevesmusic.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4621
that includes just such a mode, and should be receiving it any day.

My guess is that you'd probably tune up or down to sync a strobe-ing light into a solid (or invisible) pattern. The further out of tune you were, the greater the strobe. But that's just a guess. I will post back when I find out more.
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 3
hunter1801
hunter1801
07/04/2010 8:49 pm
I've been researching the past weeks and strobe tuners are apparently for more accurate than "normal" tuners. They are more expensive though a lot of the time. The interface is harder to get used to and may not be as practical for on stage use, but for intonation setting or studio use, strobe seems the way to go.
# 4
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
07/04/2010 9:04 pm
Originally Posted by: hunter1801I've been researching the past weeks and strobe tuners are apparently for more accurate than "normal" tuners.

That's kind of the gist I got on it, too. Remember the strobe effect in turntables to get the speed accurate? Same principle, I suppose, but based on the sound wave's oscillation.
# 5
hunter1801
hunter1801
07/05/2010 8:54 pm
The big question everyone has is which one to get. The top 3 contenders are:

Peterson Strobostomp
Turbo Tuner ST-200
Korg Pitchblack

I'm thinking about picking up the Turbo Tuner. Peterson was the standard top tier one for a while, but from what I'm reading, the Turbo Tuner is superior to it. The Pitchblack is also great, but more for an easy to read display. Still accurate, but the other 2 beat it.

Check out this video comparing the Strobostomp and the turbo tuner. The pitch detection on the TT is extremely fast.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bY9H7ec6_0
# 6
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
07/05/2010 9:49 pm
Interesting link, thanks for that.

What I am doing is eliminating my Digitech RP250 pedal. It has a perfectly fine tuner, but I want to get away from a buffered bypass as much as possible. So, part of my selection criteria (well the main thing besides reasonable cost) was True Bypass. I referenced the research I found here:
http://www.stinkfoot.se/andreas/diy/articles/tuners.htm

I ended up choosing the Korg Pitchblack, which is TB at $85 CDN. Korg has a good rep in tuners and I personally had good experience with one. My first ever tuner was a Korg and still works after 26 years, although the string selection button is frigged up. (Yeah, we had to select each string at a time, there was no tone recognition back then :D ) I had purchased another one when the button got screwy (forget the brand) and the Korg was way more accurate.

The Peterson is reviewed as being not TB and it's also about $200, so that was out for me.

The TT didn't show up in that review, and frankly, I never bumped into it in any of the sales venues I checked. Otherwise, I was checking around just now, and it seems like it would have been a great contender. Looks like it's TB and the cost is about $129ish?

My only concern about the Pitchblack is it may not be the most robust. But I don't intend to be stomping it like an OD box either, so it should do me for a while. :)
# 7
hunter1801
hunter1801
07/05/2010 11:11 pm
Yep I ran into that same page and read it over. The issue I have is I'm looking for the best of both worlds in a way. I want an extremely accurate tuner (for intonation setups at home and more "tech work" type of stuff) and also a practical one for stage use. That means easy to read on stage, true bypass, ect. I don't need TB if I'm just tuning at home, but it would come into play on stage.

From what I read, the Peterson is more accurate for intonation and things like that. Lots of different tempered settings to get a better sounding "in tune" guitar. The Turbo can have those settings too but you have to program it yourself, I think it comes with 3 out of the box.

So my reasoning is:

Peterson Strobostomp: +/- 0.1 cent accuracy, most expensive, best "in tune" sound when done according to opinions, not true bypass, has been the industry standard for decades in studios. Seen a couple complaints about popping noises when turning on the footswitch, especially with distortion on. Can see on stage during the day.

Turbo Tuner ST-200: +/- 0.02 cents (more accurate, but also harder to lock in on the correct tuning), true bypass, fastest pitch recognition hands down (but is that even needed? Don't see a huge use for it). LEDs harder to see on stage in daylight.

Pitchblack: What I would choose for easiest stage use. I like the "interface" the best on this one compared to the other 2 personally. Only downside is me being picky about wanting the "perfect" intonation from a strobo. Even though I know this thing tunes great.

So I was figuring the TT would be the best middle ground.

I found a thread that had a long discussion on the topic. This was only 1 of many similar threads on this subject. This one went for 9 pages though. Turbo tuner was hailed as far superior, with pitchblack in second, and strobo last. This might just be because of a lot of fanboys, but I had my mind set on the TT until the very last post.....lots of good info there. Of course that's where the discussion stopped :rolleyes: Would have liked to hear peoples comments on what that guy said.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=609512&highlight=turbo&page=9

The TT didn't show up in that review, and frankly, I never bumped into it in any of the sales venues I checked. Otherwise, I was checking around just now, and it seems like it would have been a great contender. Looks like it's TB and the cost is about $129ish?

Most likely because they only sell it through their website. alpha-music.com is the only other site that has it for some reason. No retailers sell it. And yes it is $130, an advantage over the SS.

Edit: yikes ....just realized how long this post is haha :p
# 8
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
07/06/2010 12:18 am
Also interesting info on the GearPage. It really seems like the Turbo Tuner would be the hands-down winner.

Like one of the posters there, I also would have had to pay $129 for the tuner plus $18 shipping + another 15% at customs (yay tax hike, and it's more than tax anyway, the bastards) and the $5 handling fee. $171.35 Plus probably some insurance, which I normally spring for.

Man, I freaking hate customs!!! I could probably buy a nice new Srat for what I've shelled out to Customs over the past year or so. Grrrr! :mad:

Choosing both the first & second choice models, I guess we have good instincts, anyway. :)

[EDIT] Update! Pitchblack is in. Nice, sleek, easy to use. Definitely more accurate than the built in that was in my Digitech and more stable than any other tuner I have (ie: "grabs" the tone without wavering up and down the LED's or meter). I briefly tried the strobe and other display modes, but I guess I'm just used to the meter.

Anyway, accurate tuning. I gave a quick run thru a couple songs and everything was on pitch. I suppose I should organize my thoughts and put something in the review forum.
# 9
EASDave
EASDave
07/10/2010 3:33 pm
Anybody considered the TC Electronic PolyTune?
I bought one recently and it's terrific. So quick. Just one strum and you know which strings are out of tune.

Dave.
# 10
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
07/10/2010 5:24 pm
Originally Posted by: EASDaveAnybody considered the TC Electronic PolyTune?
I bought one recently and it's terrific. So quick. Just one strum and you know which strings are out of tune.

Dave.

I had considered that one quite closely, actually. It is also a TB unit, but kind of bleeding edge, since it's the only commercial polyphonic tuner I've ever heard of... (But who am I?? :D ) I know out "big store" around here stopped carrying it, but I'm not sure why. I started to lose confidence in it.

Out of the several brands I considered, I had a kind of gut feeling about the Pitchblack and, so far, no regrets.
# 11
hunter1801
hunter1801
07/10/2010 6:55 pm
My Turbo Tuner came a couple days ago. I'll have to mess with it more to get used to it probably. So far so good though. Next thing I want to do with it is to try and program a different temperament setting.
# 12
EASDave
EASDave
07/11/2010 3:51 pm
I wonder if extreme accuracy of pitch is really necessary?

Apparently, the human ear is capable of discriminating between pitches differing by 5%. Therefore, a figure of 0.1% would be extreme overkill, IMO.

Dave.
# 13
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
07/11/2010 10:01 pm
Originally Posted by: EASDaveI wonder if extreme accuracy of pitch is really necessary?

Apparently, the human ear is capable of discriminating between pitches differing by 5%. Therefore, a figure of 0.1% would be extreme overkill, IMO.

Dave.

Even if true I think a company would still make the device as accurate as possible and then advertise it as a selling point. If I had a choice between otherwise similar devices, but one was accurate within 5%, and one was within 0.1% I'd definitely go for the .1%

Anyway, I don't know about you but I can hear 1% difference easily. Then there would be a percentage of folks who had exceptional hearing that probably can hear that 0.1%
# 14
hunter1801
hunter1801
07/11/2010 11:13 pm
You also have to think of the potential range of dissonance you can get. If you are flat about 3 cents on one note, then sharp 3 cents on another, that is a total of 6 cents difference, not just 3 even though individually they are 3 when you tune. Having each string as close as perfect as possible shortens these gaps from string to string.
# 15

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.