View post (Strobe tuner?)

View thread

hunter1801
hunter1801
07/05/2010 11:11 pm
Yep I ran into that same page and read it over. The issue I have is I'm looking for the best of both worlds in a way. I want an extremely accurate tuner (for intonation setups at home and more "tech work" type of stuff) and also a practical one for stage use. That means easy to read on stage, true bypass, ect. I don't need TB if I'm just tuning at home, but it would come into play on stage.

From what I read, the Peterson is more accurate for intonation and things like that. Lots of different tempered settings to get a better sounding "in tune" guitar. The Turbo can have those settings too but you have to program it yourself, I think it comes with 3 out of the box.

So my reasoning is:

Peterson Strobostomp: +/- 0.1 cent accuracy, most expensive, best "in tune" sound when done according to opinions, not true bypass, has been the industry standard for decades in studios. Seen a couple complaints about popping noises when turning on the footswitch, especially with distortion on. Can see on stage during the day.

Turbo Tuner ST-200: +/- 0.02 cents (more accurate, but also harder to lock in on the correct tuning), true bypass, fastest pitch recognition hands down (but is that even needed? Don't see a huge use for it). LEDs harder to see on stage in daylight.

Pitchblack: What I would choose for easiest stage use. I like the "interface" the best on this one compared to the other 2 personally. Only downside is me being picky about wanting the "perfect" intonation from a strobo. Even though I know this thing tunes great.

So I was figuring the TT would be the best middle ground.

I found a thread that had a long discussion on the topic. This was only 1 of many similar threads on this subject. This one went for 9 pages though. Turbo tuner was hailed as far superior, with pitchblack in second, and strobo last. This might just be because of a lot of fanboys, but I had my mind set on the TT until the very last post.....lots of good info there. Of course that's where the discussion stopped :rolleyes: Would have liked to hear peoples comments on what that guy said.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=609512&highlight=turbo&page=9

The TT didn't show up in that review, and frankly, I never bumped into it in any of the sales venues I checked. Otherwise, I was checking around just now, and it seems like it would have been a great contender. Looks like it's TB and the cost is about $129ish?

Most likely because they only sell it through their website. alpha-music.com is the only other site that has it for some reason. No retailers sell it. And yes it is $130, an advantage over the SS.

Edit: yikes ....just realized how long this post is haha :p