Looking into digital studio.

RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
03/23/2010 1:37 am
Maybe I'm giving up to early on my PODx3 and Reaper combo to pull down good recordings of my playing... Nothing ever sounds thick and full, sometimes it down right sounds like a transister radio. I want something that is built for recording, something that is meant to do it. Not sure that using the PODx3 as my interface is giving me what I'm wanting.

I was thinking the Boss BR-600, or the Zoom R16

Anyone have any suggestions on a good little digital studio?
[U]Ricks Current Mystery Video[/U] - Updated Monday March/02/2015
# 1
Bob08
Full Access
Bob08
Full Access
03/23/2010 11:33 pm
Hi Rick,

over the last few months I have been using one of the smallest pocket studios that exist on the market, i.e. the Boss MicroBr. It has proved a pretty smart tool matching my requirements:
- I can take it with me anywhere I go and record any music I like, either by its built-in microphone, via line-in, or from my guitar, no amp needed
- it contains various drum patterns as well as numerous effects
- the sound this little machine produces is awesome
- I can copy the jam tracks from this site to it
- it's a four track recorder but by means of bouncing you can record up to 32 tracks

The Boss 600 you mentioned is an eight track-machine, but for my present purpose the MicroBr has proved to be the ultimate gear.

Regards, Bob
# 2
deadlynumber7
deadlynumber7
03/24/2010 7:16 pm
i use a firestudio project and cubase 4

and i feel the only think limiting me from getting more awesome sounds is just my skill at playing
# 3
JeffS65
JeffS65
03/25/2010 2:39 am
Hey Rick...I've been using IK Multimedia's Stealth Pedal and Amp sims (did a review a bit back) and have had really good luck with tone stuff. It's not a 'real amp' but at this point in my world, I want it to work and have found this to be very good.

I have a Mac which comes preloaded with Garageband which is a mighty nifty program and does quite a lot for being loaded as a free program. As needed, I would go up to Logic.

However, if you are a PC person, I've heard good things about Cubase (Steinberg). There's different levels to get in on so you don't have t spend a fortune to know if it will work.
# 4
rhaja3
rhaja3
03/25/2010 4:39 am
For the last month I have been using 'Propellerhead - RECORD' software.

Set up to primarily record audio, the software has 3 main screens;

1) A software modeled analog SSL 9000K mixing console (It actually SOUNDS good!!!)

2) Plug-able effect racks (Connect them anyway you want, and includes LINE6 AMP RACK FOR GUITAR, BASS, AND/OR EFFECTS)

3) Sequencer wave window (basically the section where you Start, Stop, and Record)

In the past I've used MIXCRAFT4 and CUBASE LT for desktop recording and both were as I expected.

MIXCRAFT4 -Very nice PC version of garage band, overall sound is as good as whatever you have plugged into it.

CUBASE LT - Sounds a bit better, but you pretty much have to read the manual to get a lot out of it.

Now, using PROPELLERHEAD RECORD - I was really impressed with how my guitar sounded going in 'CLEAN' with the stock 'plate reverb' through the SSL virtual mixing board! (And I didn't even use the built in mixer EQ, Compressors, noise gates, or Line6 amp racks!)

As for the the LINE 6 amp racks I have to say that the STOCK amp models that come with RECORD are fair at best, and it was'nt until I bought the Line6 GX/POD FARM ($100, and some additional model pack, another $100) that I really started to enjoy using the modeled amp sounds! (Basically tweaked the sounds in the seperate POD FARM aplication, then started RECORD and loaded the tweaked sounds into RECORDS line6 amp racks)

I am assuming that you could also combine your Line6 product(s) with RECORD and then use the RECORD software for recording, (You'll have to check it out for your specific line6 product at the Line6 website)

NOTE: You can download a full working version of RECORD and use it to check it out, and you can even save what you record, the only thing you can't do is OPEN UP the saved files, unless you buy the software. (Not a bad deal to try it out)

Bottom line is that RECORD doesn't seem to get in the way of actually recording something quickly, and straight in clean with a little reverb makes it sound great! Impressed enough that I went out and bought it.

I just loaded in a Line6 'Dual Showman' amp w/line6 4x12 cab using one of the RECORD reverb effects and it sounds like I'm playing from heaven.

Oh ya, and I've also recorded my guitar using a real mic and amp, and that sounded great too!

Check it out and good luck!
( [:-)
# 5
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
03/25/2010 4:43 am
Hey Jeff...

Probably wouldn't need cubase, I already own Reaper. I'm still not 100% sold on it just yet. I keep tossing around really buckling down on my PodX3.
# 6
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
03/25/2010 11:48 am
Originally Posted by: RickBlackerI keep tossing around really buckling down on my PodX3.

Can you get good recordings just plugging your guitar into the pod and the pod into the PC? Everything good with just a basic connectivity?
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 7
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
03/25/2010 3:54 pm
Originally Posted by: RazboCan you get good recordings just plugging your guitar into the pod and the pod into the PC? Everything good with just a basic connectivity?

Not yet. But, it could simply be due to my lack of experiance with it.
# 8
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
03/25/2010 4:53 pm
Hm, ok. Not sure if this will help at all or not. I really haven't messed with recording much (yet) and I have a DigiTech RP250 and not a PODXT, but...

Have you checked your PC recording settings? I had to do some screwing around with drivers. Memory is failing me now, but I had to do something with recording devices or I could not get recording at all. Since you are getting something, you may have that part right.

Another thing I had a problem with was in Reaper itself, I had to set recording input to Stereo. In spite of having all that MIDI stuff, only Stereo worked.

And one other thing was on my pedal. It has a line switch for amp/mixer. Mixer setting is recommended for recording. Maybe your Pod has one of those?

...And that exhausts my knowledge of recording issues and solutions. :p
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 9
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/25/2010 7:44 pm
What kind of monitors are you using and what kind of interface?
Douglas Showalter
# 10
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
03/25/2010 8:24 pm
Originally Posted by: Douglas ShowalterWhat kind of monitors are you using and what kind of interface?

Oh... Either headphones, or my Altec Lancing computer speakers. My interface is my PODX3.
# 11
deadlynumber7
deadlynumber7
03/26/2010 1:42 am
oh i'm also using guitar rig 3 which i found with some tweaking can sound nice.
# 12
JeffS65
JeffS65
03/26/2010 2:31 am
Originally Posted by: RickBlackerHey Jeff...

Probably wouldn't need cubase, I already own Reaper. I'm still not 100% sold on it just yet. I keep tossing around really buckling down on my PodX3.

I've read that the Pod is not a unit for beginners and takes a bit of coaxing to get a good tone. However, once you get the hang of it, it can have awesome tone. Just to note, again, for recording, you probably don't want to rely on one single type of tone to make your sound. You may want to record different tone variations to build your sound when you record.
# 13
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/26/2010 7:17 pm
OK, first off. I am assuming you are plugging your POD directly into your computer. Correct? Assuming that, let's move forward. I would not recommend this as you really need an interface to balance out your signal to get the best sound. Also, you are listening through computers monitors and headphones. There are great computer monitors out there that can serve as studio monitors, but there are also ones that do not serve this purpose as well. I am not going to get into if yours are or not cause I am not there with you to hear them. But, I would start with getting an interface FIRST AND FOREMOST. You can buy one from M-Audio made for guitar for $150, and even cheaper used. This will help quite a bit in getting you a better signal. Also, you can run your speakers out of the interface for more control as well.

Here is a link to an M-AUDIO interface that would more than suffice what you need. Remember, it is all in how you use the tools. Great recordings are made every day by creative souls with laptops and minimal equipment. But, you NEED an interface. Check out this one.

M-Audio Interface
Douglas Showalter
# 14
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
03/26/2010 10:59 pm
Doug,

Yes, I run my PODx3 out directly to my laptop via USB cable.

You're saying that this is not optimal? That I would still want an interface? I know that Reaper directly supports ASIO which POD does as well and Reaper recognizes my PODx3.

I'm not agruing the point, I'm just curious as to why you would not recommend this aproach.
# 15
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
03/28/2010 5:52 pm
Hi Doug

I was looking at the M-Audio Fast Track Ultra... Do you have any thoughts on that unit? http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FastTrackUltra.html

Overkill? I was thinking it would be now, but in time, it might be flexible. Or are there better options at that price range?

Should I just stick to the basic fast track?
# 16
JeffS65
JeffS65
03/28/2010 9:37 pm
Originally Posted by: RickBlackerHi Doug

I was looking at the M-Audio Fast Track Ultra... Do you have any thoughts on that unit? http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/FastTrackUltra.html

Overkill? I was thinking it would be now, but in time, it might be flexible. Or are there better options at that price range?

Should I just stick to the basic fast track?

Giving two cents...Spend it wisely(?) ;)

I thought the PodX3 was USB 2.0 compatible digital converter etc...with all the right bit rates etc. Doesn't it even come with a download of 'Farm' stuff as plug ins for whatever DAW you have (pending compatibility etc)?

Not to say that you shouldn't go with the 'Overkill' solution, I'm always game for any solution that's overkill. I would be more apt to spend the money on a DAW like Cubase or whatever preference you might have and get an M Audio Fast Track.

There...two pennies spent.
# 17
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
03/28/2010 10:54 pm
Originally Posted by: JeffS65Giving two cents...Spend it wisely(?) ;)

I thought the PodX3 was USB 2.0 compatible digital converter etc...with all the right bit rates etc. Doesn't it even come with a download of 'Farm' stuff as plug ins for whatever DAW you have (pending compatibility etc)?

Yes, but I'm not sure that it's capable of great quality, or not. So far my experience with it has been weak, thus my hunt for something new.

Is that to say that Reaper is not good? Not sure I want to spend money on a different DAW. I already paid for Reaper.
# 18
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Douglas Showalter
Guitar Tricks Instructor
03/29/2010 5:56 pm
You very much can use the POD going just into the computer. If that is all you ever want to record, than that is all you need. However, I can't imagine you wanting to record just your guitar. With an interface, you can do vocals, and pretty much any other instrument. With the interface you attached, you have the ability to use MIDI, as well as having a dual headphone amp among other things. If you have the means, I would say go for it. One thing I will say is work within your intention. If you feel recording more is what you want to pursue, than it certainly does't hurt to have more than what you need to allow for that growth. That interface will allow you to do and record pretty much anything you need too.

There are cheaper ones out there that will have fewer inputs, but you can record guitar, vocals, and use MIDI; which pretty much covers it. Here are a few others that are cheaper. Again, the one you are looking at is great and if you can get that; do it. These one's are simply some cheaper alternatives that will also meet your needs as well.

Presonus Audio Box

M Audio Fast Track Pro 4 x 4

List of Several DIfferent USB Interfaces
Douglas Showalter
# 19
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
03/29/2010 6:04 pm
Hi Doug...

I bit the bullet and bought the Fast Track Ultra

# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.