January ’09 Solo Assignment.

mpaq
mpaq
01/13/2009 2:21 pm
Originally Posted by: SilimtaoYet another one. Can't get the twangy tone out. I think the Tonport is plain defective.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7224588

Backing Track by Kevin Taylor

Congrats man, huge improvement on the sound quality. Really like your playing too....some nice runs and good ideas in there.......makes me realize just how boring my track is, and needs to be revisited...
# 1
Silimtao
Silimtao
01/15/2009 11:55 am
Originally Posted by: mpaqCongrats man, huge improvement on the sound quality. Really like your playing too....some nice runs and good ideas in there.......makes me realize just how boring my track is, and needs to be revisited...

Thanks, mpaq (and equator and Wriggler). I just wish I could tweak the tone of my guitar. But it's hard re-creating the feel. There's a few clunker notes in there, and I'm fretting out on some bends, I'm still trying to clean it up, but I don't think I can recreate the feel. If I can't, I'm afraid it will be my final submission. After I butchered your BT last month, I really wanted to put up something half-decent. Maybe by this weekend.

Hey, I wonder if Kevin will put up a solo? That would be cool.
Silimtao-The Way of the Little Idea

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)
# 2
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
01/16/2009 10:00 pm
Well I still have a long way to go on this one but thought I'd share where I am up to with it so far. It's more or less in the stages of fleshing out the ideas I have for it.. I think I have a decent tone, though I welcome feedback on the tone (as well as anything else) if you feel that needs something..

RightClick and Save As.. (or LeftClick to listen in browser)

EDIT: I replaced the file with a more up to date solo.. it's getting there but still needs a bit of work. I'm actually playing my acoustic guitar for the solo here.. trying to find the right tone, so I tried it with distorted acoustic :)
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 3
WrigglerUk
WrigglerUk
01/18/2009 10:34 am
Decided to completely re-do this one. This is the final version, again it's just a single take with no particular thought or direction, but it's better than the previous one. No duelling guitars clutter... :o

I used the Waves GTR guitar sim software ( free download from Waves, very good for no $ ) to see what it sounds like, so I may experiment with the tone settings but the song wont change.
The link is the same,

WrigglerUk - Taylor Maid

I'll take some time to listen to the other takes now... :)
Can you play "Far Far Away?"

Yes - how far would you like?
# 4
mpaq
mpaq
01/19/2009 4:11 pm
Originally Posted by: light487Well I still have a long way to go on this one but thought I'd share where I am up to with it so far. It's more or less in the stages of fleshing out the ideas I have for it.. I think I have a decent tone, though I welcome feedback on the tone (as well as anything else) if you feel that needs something..

RightClick and Save As.. (or LeftClick to listen in browser)

EDIT: I replaced the file with a more up to date solo.. it's getting there but still needs a bit of work. I'm actually playing my acoustic guitar for the solo here.. trying to find the right tone, so I tried it with distorted acoustic :)

Well done Light.... Really cool hook at the intro, the delay makes it. I like the tone youve got going as well, a lot more interesting than a clean tone, but not overdone. Throw in your usual excellent phrasing and this track gets my vote so far....
# 5
Julian Vickers
Julian Vickers
01/24/2009 6:12 am
Hey guys where the hell have I been?

I DONT KNOW

How are you guys
Miracle Blade 4: Gibs on touch.
# 6
mpaq
mpaq
01/27/2009 2:43 pm
Originally Posted by: Julian VickersHey guys where the hell have I been?

I DONT KNOW

How are you guys

Hey Julian, welcome back. Theres a few of us still hangin in there, trying to keep this thread going....not what it used to be, thats for sure. Most of the better players have moved on to other things i guess....im really surprised though that there arent a lot more novice players wanting to get in on this, its a really good thread and i know has helped me a lot...
# 7
mpaq
mpaq
03/20/2009 8:06 pm
so i guess everyone has given up on this thread...shame really, time to move on i guess. Ive been really busy with a new job as well but have been checking back and see nobody is posting anymore so i havent bothered...
# 8
Superhuman
Superhuman
03/23/2009 8:28 pm
Been away for ages too - surprised too see the monthly assignment has died... I played on a few myself and did a few backings too. It was good fun but I think the way it was structured may have contributed to its downfall. The really experienced players may have been in the minority but I think they scared a lot of the beginners away. Some of those BT's were awesome but after Maestro Shaz or some other shredder posted a take it almost became the end of the thread (unless another high level player posted too).

There really should be 3 streams: beginner, intermediate and advanced - with voting done accordingly. And by right the instructors should be posting takes every single month too. This is an instructional site after all, surely the instructors should be showing off their talents on the monthly assignment and giving tips and advice etc.

I gave up participating because of the lack of interest - haven't been by the site much since and I see things have gotten pretty quiet. It would be a shame to let this go, I see a lot of the other top class players have gone since this thread went quiet. For me it was one of the key features that kept me coming back to the forum.

Selection of the BT's is another thing - I always thought there should have been a vote taken over what BT gets chosen. That would probably have more submissions made too, all helping to increase participation.

If the users of this forum are interested in keeping things going I can provide hosting of the tracks and a facility for comments etc - I should also be able to include a better voting system on the page too - but only if there is any real interest... Post if you want it.
# 9
mpaq
mpaq
03/23/2009 9:57 pm
totally agree Dave.
Backing tracks should never be an issue, there are lots available all over the net, many that are really very good and are in the public domain. But this thread seemed to prefer that the track was homemade and I think that may have turned some people off...
Ive posted a couple tracks aside from the monthly contest thing, and was dissapointed with the lack of feedback, not that i need the ego stroke, just that the only value of this site for me is the feedback.......yes the lessons are great, but without high speed I cant take advantage of them.
I am in favour of keeping this going but without restrictions on the backing track (provided they are not copyrighted of course)........at least that way there would be many to choose from and we could post a choice depending on the style. That way there'd be somethin for everyone, might attract more contributors......
# 10
FingerSpasm
FingerSpasm
03/24/2009 9:10 pm
I am all for it. This was pretty much the main reason I visited this site. I did not participate in the last couple of months due to work. But I would like to get back into it. I agree with all the points that you made about how this should work. I was always surprised that the backing tracks were created by the person hosting the thread. I always thought there was an abundance of tracks for free on the net. And like you said several could be posted and then a vote taken in advance. Maybe post the possible tracks a month early and then the votes would be tallied at the beginning of the new month and the new track posted. Then the process could start over.
# 11
mpaq
mpaq
03/25/2009 4:31 pm
Originally Posted by: FingerSpasmI am all for it. This was pretty much the main reason I visited this site. I did not participate in the last couple of months due to work. But I would like to get back into it. I agree with all the points that you made about how this should work. I was always surprised that the backing tracks were created by the person hosting the thread. I always thought there was an abundance of tracks for free on the net. And like you said several could be posted and then a vote taken in advance. Maybe post the possible tracks a month early and then the votes would be tallied at the beginning of the new month and the new track posted. Then the process could start over.

I guess the only downside to that would be people will show up just to scoop the tracks without contributing anything or participating. Then again, since they'd actually be hosted somewhere else maybe theres a way to limit access....I think we need at least 6 committed players to keep this thing alive....other boards dont seem to have any problem, maybe its the higher skill level of theplayers ...funny i would have thought their would lots of novice players that would jump at this.
# 12
WrigglerUk
WrigglerUk
03/26/2009 9:01 am
I've also been absent for a while... in a bad place at the moment, my wife's undergoing treatment for cancer, she had surgery this week...

I'd also hate to see this thread die, like others it's what brought me here in the first place. I'm not really fussed about format ( in fact the voting part is not important to me at all, the feedback of others is ) and I don't look at it as an 'assignment' so much as an excercise in developing improvisation ideas and technique etc. and for a bit of fun. There ARE plenty of BT's out there, but one thing I have noticed is that many are for well-known songs. There are'nt many ( outside of bluesey stuff ) that are aimed purely at improvising. But if someone has a fund of such things then :) One aspect of people contributing tracks is that we have had wonderful variety in the past, I dont want to head down the path of just hard rock/metal tracks. This ain't helpful, Im just rambling...

Thanks to Superhuman for his offers of space & effort, I hope there IS enough interest to keep us going.

Peace to all...
Can you play "Far Far Away?"

Yes - how far would you like?
# 13
Razbo
Full Access
Razbo
Full Access
03/27/2009 6:17 pm
Originally Posted by: mpaq...funny i would have thought their would lots of novice players that would jump at this.

Speaking as a novice player, I would be quite shy about participating and posting my efforts. Perhaps that is one of the hurdles the idea faces if I am not unique in that feeling and only those already confident in their abilities would post.

Just guessing.

The other poster's idea of beginner, intermediate and experienced levels would help.
...so ever since then, I always hang on to the buckle.
# 14
mpaq
mpaq
03/27/2009 7:02 pm
Originally Posted by: RazboSpeaking as a novice player, I would be quite shy about participating and posting my efforts. Perhaps that is one of the hurdles the idea faces if I am not unique in that feeling and only those already confident in their abilities would post.

Just guessing.

The other poster's idea of beginner, intermediate and experienced levels would help.

Razbo - thanks for your honesty. Thats what this site is though...a learning site. I know of no better way to learn than to get feedback on your efforts so you know how to take corrective actions. I understand why you might be shy, some boards can be hostile or "clubby" but i never got that sense from this one. We dont "rate" each other or pit one tune against another...its not a contest, but more of a forum to share ideas and get constructive critique on how you could have made a track better. The lessons on the site are much the same...everything from how to hold a pick right up to complicated theory and advanced playing techniques. Something for everyone.
Besides its all virtual, if i suck, why do i care...its not like anyone knows me :)
# 15

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.