January ’09 Solo Assignment.

equator
equator
01/06/2009 4:56 pm
Hi guys, happy new year to you. :)
This month’s backing track is provided by GT's instructor Kevin Taylor.
My software detected the tempo of the backing track as 90 bpm. (not sure if that is accurate or not)

Fair use of the backing track: Please, make sure to give credit to the author in your description, comments and/or tags.

Download the MP3
http://s93744050.onlinehome.us/CMaj7MP3Song.mp3

Have fun. :)
Someday I`ll play like in my dreams.

equator's Music Page.

# 1
WrigglerUk
WrigglerUk
01/06/2009 10:06 pm
Wow - this is a full production job! Thanks to Kevin for giving us this to have fun with, it's taken a lot of work, cheers!

It's hard to play to, there are no tempo changes to build 'sections', just subtle changes in dynamics... my first attempt is done already, will re-visit it over the next few days. First dibs on the "atmospheric slide guitar in the background" :D

Oh yeah, and copyright taken on the title "Taylor Maid" :p
Edit: Just to get that title down!

WrigglerUk, Taylor Maid for You
Can you play "Far Far Away?"

Yes - how far would you like?
# 2
Superhuman
Superhuman
01/07/2009 12:46 pm
As per usual, I'll do what I can to get back into my studio. My two year old dauther got pneumonia over Christmas so I haven't been able to do much of anything. Hopefully I'll get to record something but if I don't it's purely because I can't get to my guitar. Thanks to Kevin for putting something up, I'm sure it is excellent (can't listen to it here at work)!
# 3
equator
equator
01/07/2009 9:57 pm
Hi guys.
Here is my take.
Title: Distant Love
Backing trak by Kevin Taylor

Right click and Save as...
equator

WrigglerUk. I am going to listen to your take and I will comment on it after that.

Superhuman. I hope you can participate this month, we have not heard your music in a while, bro.

Thanks for listening. :)

equator's Music Page.

# 4
mpaq
mpaq
01/09/2009 12:51 am
Originally Posted by: equatorHi guys.
Here is my take.
Title: Distant Love
Backing trak by Kevin Taylor

equator

WrigglerUk. I am going to listen to your take and I will comment on it after that.

Superhuman. I hope you can participate this month, we have not heard your music in a while, bro.

Thanks for listening. :)

MAN! you nailed it! Great job...im thinking, should i listen to Fredi's track before i do mine...ah what the hell, his style is way different than mine anyway....Big mistake, now im going to have to wait a few days to get yours out of my head!

Like your tone on this too, different from your usual sound. I know your a strat guy, what did you do differently?
I know this is not a competition, but still..... a tough act to follow....good job man!
# 5
RickBlacker
Full Access
RickBlacker
Full Access
01/09/2009 12:58 am
Equator... VERY NICE!!!!!
Only thing I might say is for my taste, the guitar may have been bumped up just a weeee bit more. But, again, that's just me.
[U]Ricks Current Mystery Video[/U] - Updated Monday March/02/2015
# 6
mpaq
mpaq
01/09/2009 1:27 am
Originally Posted by: RickBlackerEquator... VERY NICE!!!!!
Only thing I might say is for my taste, the guitar may have been bumped up just a weeee bit more. But, again, that's just me.

Hey Rick...why not submit a solo? I listened to your sample track you posted....after only a couple months you are well on your way and this thread is a great way to build on your skills and get some good feedback. Re: your track...do those chords first then record that intro on top, add a drum loop and it would be kick ass!
# 7
Silimtao
Silimtao
01/09/2009 4:05 am
First, Kevin- what a beautiful BT! This is my first take (had to strike when the iron was hot- TonePort was working; kinda). Didn't know I had the tune on "loop", so that's why it's so long. Anyway, I was trying to find my groove. Gonna try to find the sound I really want. Anyway, here it is:Schmanger*

Backing Track by Kevin Taylor.

Oh, I thought the BT was the usual 2 mins.
Silimtao-The Way of the Little Idea

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)
# 8
Silimtao
Silimtao
01/09/2009 12:50 pm
2nd try, trying to tweak my sound and find my groove. Trying to get rid of that back-slap echo or whatever it is. I'm at the mercy of whatever sound I can get out of my TonePort. I realize I'm not attacking the strings as well as I'd like because it's a pretty clean tone. Will work on it more.

Kiana

Named after my daughter, who's lots prettier than Kevin. :)

Backing track by Kevin Taylor.

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)
# 9
WrigglerUk
WrigglerUk
01/09/2009 4:45 pm
Equator - that was beautifully done. Absolutely caught the mood and rhythm of the song. Just can't criticise it at all, great to listen to.

Silimtao - The clean tone was excellent, I liked the jazzy almost stacato style a lot - not your usual thing, very inventive. If you could get the balance right between BT and guitar it would be really cool. Don't let the toneport beat you! Its a good piece of kit when it works...

# 10
Silimtao
Silimtao
01/09/2009 6:45 pm
Originally Posted by: WrigglerUk Silimtao - The clean tone was excellent, I liked the jazzy almost stacato style a lot - not your usual thing, very inventive. If you could get the balance right between BT and guitar it would be really cool. Don't let the toneport beat you! Its a good piece of kit when it works...

I assume you are talking about my 2nd take? I thought the guitar was a little too loud. I'm still trying to find the right sound I'm hearing in my head- wish I could add some chorus, but my TonePort doesn't work with any of my pedals (when it's working at all, as you know by now). There's some stuff I liked in my first take I'd like to incorporate. But I'm still trying to shape the sound properly. Hopefully, the electrical tape will keep the usb connection in properly, lol.

Input is much appreciated. btw, what model soundcard do you use? Do you plug straight in, or do you need some other type of interface?

# 11
equator
equator
01/09/2009 9:32 pm
Thanks guys for all the comments.

Mpaq. I do not have the Fender Strat anymore, I traded it and bought a Schecter Diamond Series C-1 FR equipped with active humbuckers and a licensed Floyd Rose.
I used an Amp/Cab modeling combo which is based on a High Gain amp;
effects are: Compressor, noise gate, EQ: bass7 Mid9 High2; Ping Pong delay 2sec and Room Reverb.
Can’t wait to hear your take, man. :)

Rick. Thanks for listening and commenting, I couldn’t get the guitar any louder without the level indicators going to the red lights. Also, I purposely wanted the backing to stand out in the mix and let the vocals VST be heard.

WrigglerUk. Thanks, appreciate the comment. Glad you liked it.
I listened to your take as well and I thought that it sounds good overall.
The only constructive criticism I can give you is to not pan the guitars to hard to the sides, also I find it a little difficult to focus on the direction you are taking your solo because you have the two guitars going at the same time, and it is like one track is going somewhere and the other somewhere else. In my opinion, the guitars would sound better if you place them one after the other, kind of a call and response or use the slide guitar very sparingly . I hope you don’t mind me saying that. ;)

Silimtao. I downloaded both of your takes, and I must say that you played some really nice phrases in both.
I commend you for not giving up on this, even with all the problems your hardware is giving you.
I have a Line 6 guitar port, and it produced the same pops and cracks that I hear in your recordings, plus I never got that thing to have an acceptable latency for recording. I used to record my takes and then drag them to try to make them sound in sync with the backing. I got tired of it and I have never use it again.

There is an open source software that allows you to record your screen, (if you don’t have one already) it is called CamStudio.

Make a video of Audacity or whatever program you are using to record your music and make sure to show the preferences window, and all the things you do when you record your music.
Upload the video to Soundclick so we can see it and maybe we can help you resolve the problem.
Here is the link to CamStudio.
http://camstudio.org/

Thanks guys again.

equator's Music Page.

# 12
WrigglerUk
WrigglerUk
01/09/2009 10:17 pm
Originally Posted by: equator

The only constructive criticism I can give you is to not pan the guitars to hard to the sides, also I find it a little difficult to focus on the direction you are taking your solo because you have the two guitars going at the same time, and it is like one track is going somewhere and the other somewhere else. In my opinion, the guitars would sound better if you place them one after the other, kind of a call and response or use the slide guitar very sparingly . I hope you don’t mind me saying that. ;)

Silimtao. I downloaded both of your takes, and I must say that you played some really nice phrases in both.
I commend you for not giving up on this, even with all the problems your hardware is giving you.
I have a Line 6 guitar port, and it produced the same pops and cracks that I hear in your recordings, plus I never got that thing to have an acceptable latency for recording. I used to record my takes and then drag them to try to make them sound in sync with the backing. I got tired of it and I have never use it again.

There is an open source software that allows you to record your screen, (if you don’t have one already) it is called CamStudio.

Make a video of Audacity or whatever program you are using to record your music and make sure to show the preferences window, and all the things you do when you record your music.
Upload the video to Soundclick so we can see it and maybe we can help you resolve the problem.

Thanks guys again.

I dont mind at all! I'm just having fun & feedback is welcome. The take was very rushed - half an hour between download and upload, the song was just that good... I'll do it again before the month is out.

Why didn't I think of camstudio... software support is my trade after all! :eek: Thats an excellent idea... really there should be no latency if the Toneport drivers are installed. Although Audacity needs to be told to use the Toneport explicitly. If its set up correctly, the Toneport actually becomes a second soundcard, replacing the onboard one. I'm sure we can beat it into submission...!

# 13
Silimtao
Silimtao
01/10/2009 12:20 am
Originally Posted by: equatorThanks guys for all the comments.

Mpaq. I do not have the Fender Strat anymore, I traded it and bought a Schecter Diamond Series C-1 FR equipped with active humbuckers and a licensed Floyd Rose.
effects are: Compressor, noise gate, EQ: bass7 Mid9 High2; Ping Pong delay 2sec and Room Reverb.

Rick. Thanks for listening and commenting, I couldn’t get the guitar any louder without the level indicators going to the red lights. Also, I purposely wanted the backing to stand out in the mix and let the vocals VST be heard.

Thanks guys again.

Thanks for the input Fredi. I'm still going to work on shaping the sound I want. I'll try to get to CamStudio....sometime after I put my desktop together, lol. that crapped out entirely this week, and I've had to take it apart altogether. When things go wrong, they really, really go wrong.

There's fewer latency issues with the StealthPlug, but last time I tried it, I couldn't load ANY pre-sets; mayble I'll give that another try using my real pedals. I'm telling ya though, I'm spending more time trying to get the hardware to work than actually working on the tune. Thanks again.

# 14
Silimtao
Silimtao
01/10/2009 12:25 am
Originally Posted by: WrigglerUkAlthough Audacity needs to be told to use the Toneport explicitly. If its set up correctly, the Toneport actually becomes a second soundcard, replacing the onboard one. I'm sure we can beat it into submission...!

I didn't know that. Maybe that's why there's a latency "issue". I haven't had the time to learn the better recording software, and I just loaded Audacity, and read that it records whatever sound is coming out of the pc. Thanks for the tip. I'm going to eat, and if I have the time, will give it another go- or maybe give it a rest. I'm getting to the point where I'm thinking too much, and you know how that can get in the way...

# 15
Silimtao
Silimtao
01/10/2009 9:17 am
Yet another one. Can't get the twangy tone out. I think the Tonport is plain defective.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7224588

Backing Track by Kevin Taylor

# 16
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
01/10/2009 9:27 am
Up till now I have been struggling to find a groove on this one.. mainly because the backing track has such subtle changes of the beat. It's a very nice backing track and I don't want to change it in any way really.. well yes I do.. haha.. but it would truly be a different beast if I did and would no longer be the original track etc..

So my alternative to this is to add a guide track to it, which I will remove before I render the track into an MP3. I have basically just added some standard 4/4 rock drums at 90 bpm.. and for some sections I've added extra high-hats hitting on the 16ths. By adding this guide track, I have changed the entire dynamic of the backing track so that in my mind I can hear grooves and things that were not there before.

I thought I would mention this now not because I consider it to be cheating it any way.. but because I thought it was a good method to consider when trying to record a solo over something you're not familiar with. Think of purely as a metronome but with a groove and you'll see where I am coming from. It helps me keep in time not just with the backing track itself but with my own groove that I am trying to put on top of the backing track.

I am trying to branch out from the standard solos I have been doing and try to make true music like I hear all my idols doing (Steve Vai, Satriani, Eric Johnson).. if you take away their guitar solo instrumental stuff, you're left with a really barren musical landscape that doesn't have a lot to it.. it's very much like this backing track.. there's not all that much to it.. it's like the edge of the water at a beach with the waves sliding up the sand, only to be sucked back into the water again.. it just rolls back and forth gently.. but there's not a lot to it.. So that's where the "lead" guitar comes in and makes it into a musical piece.
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 17
mpaq
mpaq
01/12/2009 4:24 pm
Originally Posted by: equatorThanks guys for all the comments.

will post soon, actually have it done but for some reason cubase gives me an error when i try to export it....may have to redo it if I cant find the problem.
# 18
equator
equator
01/12/2009 4:31 pm
What’s up guys.
I remixed my take. I had to bring down the backing track just a bit and use compression on the master track to level and smooth things up.
The result: A louder track with more presence on the guitar.
Please take a listen and let me know what you think.

equator

Thanks guys. :)

Silimtao. Your 3rd take is a keeper. You got a good balance between the backing and your lead guitar.
Nice job my friend. :)

equator's Music Page.

# 19
mpaq
mpaq
01/13/2009 1:42 pm
This isnt what id really call a lead, i concentrated on practicing my phrasing and compressed it along with a little reverb so the guitar blends into the mix. Its an ambient track with a lot going on, so i wasnt really sure what else to do with it......sometimes, less can be more

Dreamland
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.