Style of Lyrics/Writing Songs

urbnrckrr
urbnrckrr
10/17/2008 3:05 am
I want to know how to write lyrics that are in the same style as Paramore and Tokio Hotel. Could you classify their lyrics as metaphors?

for example:
they taped over your mouth,
scribbled out the truth with their lies
you little spies

and

a half moon’s fading from my sight
i see your vision in it’s light
but now it’s gone and left me so alone
i know i have to find you now
can hear your name
i don’t know how
why can’t we make this darkness feel like home
# 1
ananabp
ananabp
11/07/2008 8:21 pm
well it's not really metaphors. if it were a metaphor it would be more like 'blue like the sea' or something like that.
they are just cleverly crafted words.
# 2
LegitTrick
LegitTrick
11/08/2008 3:13 am
actually using "like" makes it a simile. lol

The use of metaphors you described is almost exactly their style. Although you don't want to copy too closely to them, try making it more your own. Also try using hyperboles, mixing it up a bit.
# 3
Hjorvard
Hjorvard
11/09/2008 8:10 am
I wouldn't worry too much about the style of others, that's who they are, and that's a reflection of them. That's what all good music is, a reflection of ones own emotions. Let's take for instance the band Death. Originally they set out to be the heaviest most fastest band out there, and the lyrics where comprised of the usual death metal fanfare. Suffice it to say, nothing stuck out, and it was like every metal band at the time. As time progressed, however, Chuck (visionary/vocalist/guitarist for Death) started expanding his playing style via jazz, and his lyrics where things that where relevant to him. His words weren't those of a poet with witty venacular, but they came from the heart and it shows. Personally, his music and his words have stuck with me throughout many years. It's good to have influences, but if you mimmick somones writing you'll become just another copy of that band. Just worry about being the best you you can be.
# 4
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/09/2008 11:16 am
I'd got out to your local library or book store and read through a ton of 'How to write hit songs" books.
You don't necessarily have to follow all the rules precisely, but stuff written by successful songwriters will give you a great insight into how different lyrics are composed.
There's one book in particular that I keep the top 20 suggestions for writing hit songs. Plus there's people like Paul Simon etc... who 750 words of material on how he wrote specific songs such as 'Celia, Mrs. Robinson, etc.

The one thing I found was that it was really educational to hear Paul Simon go through the methoe he w use to specific 'style' songs.. like 'laundry list songs such as "Hit The Road Jack"

There's severaL books and DVD's that came in handy over the years such as the making Pink Floyd's Dark side
# 5
Hjorvard
Hjorvard
11/09/2008 10:19 pm
Also there's a book you can find at just about any store like Barnes and Noble or any music store called Writing Songs on Guitar which has been very informative and helpful to me.
# 6
enochthestrange
enochthestrange
11/12/2008 4:47 pm
metaphor----THis music is terrible as paramore.......

sorry i had too, it was bugging me from the inside of my soul o.O
# 7
Dielle Lodrick
Dielle Lodrick
11/19/2008 9:54 am
I think it is always useful to study the work of people / artists you admire or aspire to, and see what techniques or skills they are using in their work. You can then add these into your own work, with your own originality.

For example, the idea of being taped over the mouth is a metaphor for not being able to speak (i believe in this case - out of context with the rest of the song, I'm assuming it is not actually describing someone who has literally had tape put over their mouth). It is taking an emotion of feeling opressed and putting a physical description to it. Try listing different emotions you would like to write about, and describe them in physical terms. It can be very powerful in song. This is a technique used in the hit 'bleeding love' - physical bleeding used as a metaphor for emotional pain.

Let me know if that is helpful

Dielle
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.