claude johnson's sites?

mjmacklin554
mjmacklin554
08/25/2008 6:52 am
has any1 experienced any of claude johnson's products or his websites.
I know the marketing is very hype but what he describes sounds pretty good particularly for intermediate players?

guitarcontrol.com

also go to the following to see all of his products

guitarcontrol.com/ordering/orderpage.php

I would appreciate any1's feedback on this.

cheers ... michael
# 1
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
08/25/2008 8:11 am
I had a quick look around the site, and at what it is offering and also did a short investigation. Although I'm not picking up a lot of chatter about it being a scam the site comes across as looking a little fake. I did find one post about someone who paid and didn't get anything but it could be just the usual nay-sayer putting down a legitimate product that is in direct competition with them. Any site that initially asks for an email address to be added to a subscription is something I avoid.. any site that uses billing and secure site services I have never heard of before is also something I avoid. In my investigation I found some other sites offering similar stuff that looked a lot more professional and a lot more legit...

However, ultimately, what they are offering is the same as you can get here at GuitarTricks except that it is in a nice, neat package with a structured feeling to it. May be someone else has had experience with them and will chime in.. but at first glance it doesn't look all that good compared to what I get here.
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 2
mjmacklin554
mjmacklin554
08/25/2008 10:38 pm
thanks for your reply. Maybe I'll dig around here for awhile.

cheers ...... michael
# 3
bbroyles10
bbroyles10
05/07/2009 4:00 am
I bought the Claude Johnson coarses about a year or so ago and was very happy with them. However, they can only take you so far. I mean you do learn a lot of songs, but not alot about reading music and other styles besides blues and rock. I like this site because you can learn everything that Claude leaves off. I did like the fact that he had you playing popular songs by the end of the first lesson. I guess it depends on what your ultimate goal is.
# 4
jazzn01
jazzn01
05/22/2009 5:11 pm
I have purchased and used the Claude Johnson programs.
In itself, the tutorials are not bad but not as professinal as I would expect.

Also, I have found everything and more that he teaches right here on Guitar Tricks.
# 5
claytrell
claytrell
05/13/2010 4:50 am
I ordered Claude Johnson's Chicken Pickin' DVD's with Sol Philcox. They arrived and all 6 were physically damaged. They looked as if someone had used them for drink coasters. I returned them and never received a refund. They sent me a new set and I was BILLED AGAIN!!! Neither time did they arrive with the promised tablature. Several phone calls went unanswered and unreturned. Finally after several weeks I recieved an e-mail from someone who was absolutely clueless. In addition I was billed an unauthorized $20 for his ridiculous 'guitar god club'! DO NOT GIVE HIM YOUR CREDIT CARD NUMBER!!!

if you want to read more horror stories and stories of general incompetence go here>

http://www.chordie.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=93922#p93922
# 6
michellejane
michellejane
06/19/2010 7:46 am
I am lucky so I hand no bad experience but one of my class mate had to faced likewise same . I like this because relational and informative information and Guitar Picks describe so nicely. It helps me lot to increase my knowledge towards subject .This is provides great guide to those who are new to this field .
# 7
shahnen
shahnen
08/15/2010 6:10 pm
never buy tht stuff i bought some of his stuff and its not quaility at all. if you want quality theory and technique lessons i recommend you look at will landurams courses at guitarconsultant (dot) com
# 8
LWAddict
LWAddict
08/27/2010 7:11 pm
I've only picked up a few courses and they're great.

"Chicken Pickin'" and "Chicken Picken Chops", excellent and Sol was a good teacher.

"Soul of Acoustic Guitar", nice but a little advanced on the finger picking. I'm getting better as a result though.

Already ordered the "Rocking the Blues" set that went on sale today as well.

Service has always been good.

The website and the way he blogs the customers is totally the issue though... it doesn't cry out "professional" but hey, that's Claude. The products are good and he's working his way up to something. I'm all for backing him up.

And there's the whole money back guarantee if you don't like the product.
# 9
karimikkonen
karimikkonen
12/02/2013 8:38 am
Originally Posted by: shahnennever buy tht stuff i bought some of his stuff and its not quaility at all. if you want quality theory and technique lessons i recommend you look at will landurams courses at guitarconsultant (dot) com

I ordered a set of disks from guitarconsultant two and a half months ago. They accepted the money but I never got the disks. This is NOT a realiable store.

Kari Mikkonen
# 10

12/08/2013 6:19 pm
I Myselv Recommend Guitar Tricks.what More Do Ya Really Need?.
# 11
mark.ogier
mark.ogier
12/11/2017 4:59 am

I know this is an old thread but just want to warn people again. Claude Johnson is still ripping people off!!

i recently purchased a Jimmy Dillon Blues Songs dvd Set. Never got them, didn’t get the online access as promised, sent 10+ messages, no replies. Called the number, never available.

More fraud. Total rip-off. Avoid.....!

# 12
bookas58
bookas58
12/17/2017 4:02 am

It was a few years ago , when I subcribed to one course of his online . If you had trouble receiving what you ordered in US , imagine what I would gone through here in Australia . Anyway, I don't know where he dug the instructors from , but they were abrupt , did not explain why a riff or lick worked and couldn't get off camera quick enough . He must have been paying them piece rates .

# 13
jimcroisannt
jimcroisannt
03/12/2018 9:31 am

Whoa, this is scary. A friend of mine stumbled across the site last week and was thinking of buying something. I'm glad he thought better of it in the end...

# 14
havoc1779
havoc1779
05/01/2018 1:38 am

Got my discs undamaged (last week-within 10 days of placing order) and a whole lot of tabs for popular songs! I didn't have any problems at all and had very prompt assistance from their customer support team over a question. I also received a zip file with all the material, as well. No problems opening or using! I have been to A LOT of online guitar sites and have found they each have their pros, as well as their cons. I am personally grateful to have so many great resources at my fingertips and rarely fail to take away something positive from any of the various instructors at the various websites. Your experience level as a player, goals, learning style, and even budget are all considerations. As a visual learner, I get a lot more out of being able to print a tab than watching someone else play through a version that is unavailable over and over and over. But that's just me. That old saying about "many ways to skin a cat" is true.

# 15

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.