buying a gaming system

Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/09/2008 5:59 pm
Ok, this is totally unrelated to guitar but I've spent the last hour trying to figure out the Gaming stuff.

I've previously only used Nintendo but after the release of Grand Auto Theft, I'd like to purchase it as well as the gaming system.

I'm in Canada right now.... so anybody got info on where I can buy the game with all the bells and whistles as well ad Grand Auto, a wireless controller.... etc.

Like, I've tried several online locations but none of em seem to want to supply the whole thing.

Any help appreciated.

Keep in mind I'm in Canada.... cross border shopping is no prob. but it involves extra costs.
# 1
Tonja_Renee
Official PRSplaya Groupie
Tonja_Renee
06/09/2008 6:54 pm
Which Grand Theft Auto game.. there are loads of em out there.

And which console? XBox 360 (Microsoft) or Playstation3 (Sony).. its available for both.

Both have wireless controllers and bells and whistles..

I'm sure you'll have to buy the console and then buy the game separately.

EDIT - my husband says he would recommend the Playstation3 over the Xbox360 because its a better piece of hardware and you can play blueray DVDs on it. He did say that the Xbox has more games available for it now, however the Playstation3 is getting more games all the time...
Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.
# 2
Silimtao
Silimtao
06/09/2008 7:11 pm
REMINDER: You don't get the cars in GTA, like you don't get a real guitar in GH :p

fwiw, my former father in law lived very close to the US border, and he'd just drive over, dump the stuff in the back seat, and the border patrol would just wave him through. But then again, he was a regular. Who knows what they make you go through these days. You'll probably get a cavity search. If ya do, don't forget to blog it here ;)
Silimtao-The Way of the Little Idea

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)
# 3
Silimtao
Silimtao
06/09/2008 7:46 pm
Check this Amazon link

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0009VXAM0/ref=ord_cart_shr/002-1265129-1683211?_encoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance

PS: my son, the resident console gaming expert says there's bugs in the PS3. Personally, I dunno. I normally like to play games on my pc.

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)
# 4
Freetime
Freetime
06/09/2008 8:39 pm
Get a Microsoft Xbox 360
# 5
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/09/2008 8:52 pm
So ... what's the absolute gaming system?

I wanna get the best one with the most memory and online capabilities.
Plus I wanna run the latest version of Grand Theft Auto.
I'd like wireless capabilities and any bells and whistles that make the games worth using...

Plus... I'd like to order it online in Canada and have it delivered.
# 6
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/09/2008 8:53 pm
I should add.... I'd also like to get Nintendo Wii as well.
With the whole package so I can use the sports stuff as well as running the latest version of Zelda.
# 7
Silimtao
Silimtao
06/10/2008 1:38 am
Originally Posted by: Kevin TaylorSo ... what's the absolute gaming system?
Plus... I'd like to order it online in Canada and have it delivered.

That's like asking "who's the best guitarist?" Everyone has there favs, and there's pluses and minuses.

My son has the PS2 (takes memory cards and has wireless controllers)

The Wii- can connect to the web (not great), and can download any patches if needed. NOT hi def. though.

And the XBox- Has a HD (upgradable if you're handy at that kind of stuff), and can connect to...at least with other online gamers, as far as I know.

imo, the ultimate gaming system is a pc you make yourself with a kick-butt vid card(s), and a quad core cpu. I know you're a Mac guy, but that's just my opinion. All these console games aren't cross-compatible, so it's a PITA spending bucks for X game that's only good for X console. My experience with serious console gamers is that they have one of each so they can play every game available. Well, it might be cheaper to buy every console rather than make/pay for a pc gaming system, but I think that's the only other option if you're a serious gamer. For some reason, my son doesn't want the PS3.

You may want to look into the specs of every console to see if you can hook it up to your stereo system- I think you can, as there's rca jacks in all my son's consoles, but can't remember if they're in stereo or not; he's addicted enough, so I just have his consoles hooked up to another tv.

There's gotta be places like Amazon, or Gamespot that will deliver to Canada, I'd think. Or check out circuitcity.com before they go out of business. There's www.jr.com in New York City that will ship anywhere as far as I know.

But as far as the ULTIMATE- think it comes down to personal tastes. I still prefer to play games on my pc.

As far as my personal preference in consoles, it's the Wii- already comes wireless, don't need additional memory (far's I know), can connect to the 'net, and adults seem to have fun with it. I just can't get used to the controls on other consoles that drive me crazy.

# 8
BrokenJera
BrokenJera
06/10/2008 5:28 am
i have both the xbox 360 and the ps3 (ill sell it to you cheap) i would say they are about the same one some counts but not others.

the xbox 360 has a lot more games seems to be a overall more stable platform and has much better online capibilitys and content. the hardware on the 360 is starting to get a bit old but devolpers are getting better at making games. (which ever you get try a game called assassins creed youll be hooked) if you see an old xbox game you you might want to try the 360 might beable to play (not all are compatable yet)

the ps3 is newer is does have a blueray player and is a liitle bit higher quality tech than the 360. most game comming out now are on more that one system so you wont miss many games either way. the ps3 only titles ive played so far dont seem to be anything special and haveing to wave the controler around seem a bit silly to me. but you can play all those ps1 and ps2 games (i really love those old ps1 final fantasy games). the online systems dont seem to match the 360 in content but i never really play online so im not the best judge there.

both consoles can do it all pretty well and play almost the exact same libary of games. so i guess you need to decide who your going to pay. bill gates or the japaneese.
They say the END is near, but I'm Tired of waiting.
# 9
Freetime
Freetime
06/10/2008 6:10 am
Originally Posted by: BrokenJerai have both the xbox 360 and the ps3 (ill sell it to you cheap) i would say they are about the same one some counts but not others.

the xbox 360 has a lot more games seems to be a overall more stable platform and has much better online capibilitys and content. the hardware on the 360 is starting to get a bit old but devolpers are getting better at making games. (which ever you get try a game called assassins creed youll be hooked) if you see an old xbox game you you might want to try the 360 might beable to play (not all are compatable yet)

the ps3 is newer is does have a blueray player and is a liitle bit higher quality tech than the 360. most game comming out now are on more that one system so you wont miss many games either way. the ps3 only titles ive played so far dont seem to be anything special and haveing to wave the controler around seem a bit silly to me. but you can play all those ps1 and ps2 games (i really love those old ps1 final fantasy games). the online systems dont seem to match the 360 in content but i never really play online so im not the best judge there.

both consoles can do it all pretty well and play almost the exact same libary of games. so i guess you need to decide who your going to pay. bill gates or the japaneese.
:rolleyes: Just get an Xbox 360. its better
# 10
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/10/2008 6:58 am
Originally Posted by: Silimtaohat's like asking "who's the best guitarist?" Everyone has there favs, and there's pluses and minuses.

My son has the PS2 (takes memory cards and has wireless controllers)

The Wii- can connect to the web (not great), and can download any patches if needed. NOT hi def. though.

And the XBox- Has a HD (upgradable if you're handy at that kind of stuff), and can connect to...at least with other online gamers, as far as I know.

imo, the ultimate gaming system is a pc you make yourself with a kick-butt vid card(s), and a quad core cpu. I know you're a Mac guy,

Actually, it's for my TV

Playing games at a computer drives me nuts.
I'd prefer to be lying down on the couch with a wireless remote that I can use between commercials

about the only thing that gives me hesitation is that previously, with Nintendo, you lose the stereo output using the RF adapter. Plus the quality of the overall TV signal goes down.
# 11
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
06/10/2008 9:58 am
I only have Wii and PS2, and I don't play with them much these days but if I had to choose only one of the current gaming systems to buy, I would not hesitate at all to buy the PS3. It's just that it is overpriced at the moment in my opinion but I consider it to be the best available right now in an overall way. Obviously both XBox 360 and PS3 have their good and bad but I think the PS3's longevity will pay off in the long run.
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 12
Tonja_Renee
Tonja_Renee
06/10/2008 1:35 pm
We have the Wii and the PS3, My son has the Xbox 360 that he keeps at his father's.

I'm more of a casual gamer so the Wii is fine for me, I'm totally hooked on Zelda and Spyro and Mario Galaxy was pretty trippy...

We chose the PS3 because of the blueray capabilities.. however I should note - that if you have a TV that doesn't support the appropriate resolution, you won't notice much of a difference in video quality. The PS3 has a few different systems out there - one with less memory and one with more. The higher memory one is also backwards compatible , where as the lesser memory one isn't for some reason.

Eric and my son enjoy the other games with on-line capabilities and the PS3 seems to be fine in that department.

A gaming console is like buying a guitar.. what everyone else likes isn't necessarily the best fit for you. I think they all have their pros and cons, and you have to just get what's right for you. I don't think there is anything terrible about any of the consoles.. just different.
Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.
# 13
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
06/10/2008 1:45 pm

"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 14
Silimtao
Silimtao
06/10/2008 2:10 pm
Originally Posted by: Kevin TaylorActually, it's for my TV

Playing games at a computer drives me nuts.
I'd prefer to be lying down on the couch with a wireless remote that I can use between commercials

about the only thing that gives me hesitation is that previously, with Nintendo, you lose the stereo output using the RF adapter. Plus the quality of the overall TV signal goes down.

I agree with what Tonja said. If you're only a casual gamer, I'd pick the console that has the most games; or the console that has the games you like most. I just like the Wii best because I generally like race-car type games on consoles, and it's really easy on the Wii. i just don't like the XBox because I have a bias against Micro$oft.

You play games between commercials??? :rolleyes:

# 15
pure
pure
06/10/2008 5:38 pm
I used to play video games alot, during the time of ps1, ps2, nintendo 64, gameboy, xbox 1, gamecube, etc

I stopped because it started getting too expensive. as soon as I got a console, a new one came out! I had predicted that by now the ps7 would be out.. guess i was wrong hah

but what I do remember was that when buying a gaming system, the games available were never a really big factor since each and every one of the games worth playing were available in multiple systems. you might find a few that are loyal to only one company, but the best games (except Zelda =[) were available for all the major systems.

the next factor at the time was pretty much the controller. yes, the controller mattered that much. I remember I used to hate the xbox controller because it was so bulky and i couldn't be "quick" with the controller. pretty much the same thing for gamecube controller, although it was less bulky and pretty unique. and i loved the playstation controller!

for the most part the ps3 and 360 both very good systems. if you're gonna be online alot, i say get the 360. if you're gonna play it at home solo or with friends, both are good. If blu ray matters that much to you, and you're not going to buy a blu ray player, then get the ps3. but I remember there was a time when the ps2's dvd capabilities were a major selling point, and these days i can get a dvd player for $40 if not less.

I think the wii is fun but its not that powerful and the picture quality isn't as capable as the other two.
Originally Posted by: schmangeugly fat chicks
# 16
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/11/2008 1:18 am
Well, I bought Playstation 3 with Grand Theft Auto today.
Having a hell of time setting it up though.

It keeps asking me to plug in a network connection using a so I can play online.

Can ya not just play this thing by yourself against the computer?

Plus it's running me around in circles updating the system software.
# 17
Silimtao
Silimtao
06/11/2008 1:45 am
You probably need a firmware update. Use an ethernet cable instead or doing it wirelessly (I think the 60 gig version only has wireless 'net connection.) Hopefully, you'll be able to update everything so everything will run smoothly. And yes, you should be able to play just you against the console.*

*That's what my kid says. How a 10 yr. old stays on top of this stuff is beyond me, but remember I said my kid said the PS3 was buggy also. Have fun.

# 18
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
06/11/2008 1:52 am
Ok... I think I'm getting the hang of it.
At least I'm driving around and running people over.. heh heh..
Excellent graphics.

Just outa curiosity... anybody on here ever use "Second Life"?

I've been messing around with it for about a month now and it's kinda kewl to just go around talking to people, exploring buildings and flying around.
Don't know if I'd actually go so far as to buy property or anything but it's great if ya just wanna kill some time.
# 19
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
06/11/2008 3:29 am
I used to make about $250/month from secondlife. I was a developer of certain items and scripts there. I did own my own plot of land but it paid for itself obviously.. Having land is not really a requirement but earning Lindens is pretty important to enjoying the game fully.
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.