About... picks...

fuyu
Full Access
fuyu
Full Access
05/13/2008 11:57 pm
I feel silly asking about this, but I went to the guitar store today looking at picks and.. I was too ashamed to ask the clerk there about it!! :( I'm an absolute beginner, and well.. asking about guitars are one thing.. but was too ashamed to ask about picks...

I saw thin, medium, heavy.. and then I saw all these other ones with all these different size options.. what is the difference? For a beginner like me that is using an electric guitar (ibanez grx20), what is the standard? :( Also based on the material it's made with (I saw Acetal/Polymer, Celluloid etc).. what is good?

When I bought my guitar a few days ago, I didn't think about picks because I was being cheap since I knew I had ONE at home lol.. and now I can't find it!! :( I can't remember if it there was anything written on it saying if it was thin, medium, heavy.. or even what MM and etc. :confused:
# 1
BrokenJera
BrokenJera
05/14/2008 12:52 am
the only really good picks are the ones you like to play with. depending on the guitar store (some get mad at this) grab a few different ones and play a similar guitar to the one you play. if you dont like any of them go back for some different ones.

if the store wont let you mix and match like this just go and buy one of each. picks usually arent more than 50 cents a peice or so. find the one or two you like then buy more.

as a point ill give some info on some types of picks. the thinner a pick is the more it will bend as you hit the string, so light picks are good for novice strumming but they are harder to play single note passages with because the bends too much, medium are right inbetweeen and are good picks all around. heavy picks are hard to strum with but they dont bend so play fast riffs (like metal) is a lot easier.

as a point of reference i use the dunlop purple nylon ppicks at 1.5 mm and the dunlop big strudy at 2.0 mm. they take alot of practice to be able to strum with but for playing solo and picking patterns theres nothing better for me. and i shopped online and got 6 dozen of each so i wont need to buy picks for a while.

but you need to find the picks that work best for you, and that will change as you get better.
They say the END is near, but I'm Tired of waiting.
# 2
elklandercc
Full Access
elklandercc
Full Access
05/14/2008 5:32 am
I use tortex since it doesn't chew up as easy when you do pick slides. If I could will myself to let my finger nails grow long, I'd cut my thumbnail off and use that, I love the sound you get from nails.
"During this line, the kid acted like he was pushing buttons on a calculator in the air. The kid played ******* air-calculator!"

Myspace
# 3
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
05/14/2008 9:19 am
Hey Fuyu,
I use a flat pick, and my fingers, and sometimes just a flat pick. If I'm playing an acoustic, then I use a thicker pick(1mm or above) to play.

If I'm playing an electric guitar, then I use a thinner more flexible pick.(.63-.88mm)

What matters is what you prefer, like BrokenJera said try out some different picks and find one or two that you like. Practice strumming a chord, and see which one feels most comfortable to you.

Everyone has different preferences, and you may decide later that you prefer a different pick. Tortex, or Jim Dunlop are good, because they outlast most of the others.

JD
Check out my lessons
http://www.guitartricks.com/instructor.php?g=all&input=52878
# 4
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
LisaMcC
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/14/2008 12:01 pm
Hi Fuyu,

The other guys have given some really good answers to your question, but if you want even MORE input, I have a video lesson called "What Kind of Pick Should You Use - and How?" you might want to check out.
Here's the link:
http://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=11444

Have fun pick shopping!
-Lisa McCormick, Guitar Tricks instructor
Lisa McCormick, GT Instructor
Acoustic, Folk, Pop, Blues

Full Catalog of Lisa's Guitar Tricks Tutorials
Find Lisa on Facebook!
# 5
fuyu
Full Access
fuyu
Full Access
05/14/2008 5:17 pm
Thank you so much everyone for your replies!! BrokenJera, thanks always for your detailed explanations! Your posts are always so helpful to me. I'll print everyone's replies out and take it with me to the store today lol.

Originally Posted by: LisaMcCI have a video lesson called "What Kind of Pick Should You Use - and How?" you might want to check out.
Here's the link:
http://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=11444
YIKES! I had no idea there was a video for this! I guess I should have taken more advantage of the search function on this site. I've been looking at nothing but the "Absolute Beginner's Guide to Guitar" (Level 1 and the beginning of Level 2) section. I think your lesson should definitely be included in that guide!
# 6
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
05/14/2008 5:59 pm
Don't be ashamed to ask questions at a gutiar store. :) Everyone starts as a beginner.

# 7
Silimtao
Silimtao
05/14/2008 11:40 pm
In addition to what everyone said, maybe your local music store sells a variety of picks of different sizes and gauges that come in a bag. They're often cheaper than bought singly and you'll have a chance to try different types for cheap.
Silimtao-The Way of the Little Idea

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)
# 8
earthman buck
earthman buck
05/15/2008 2:38 am
Your pick preference will probably change over the years anyway. When I started I used the thinnest Tortex picks, the red ones. Soon I went to the oranges, then the yellows. Now I'm on the greens.

I'm painting a rainbow, man. A rainbow of...progress.
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.