so who likes non guitar related music?

Fret spider
Fret spider
05/11/2008 8:10 pm
hey i was wonderin whio here listens to music that isnt guitar oriented. i know that in my early days i had a simple formula music with guitar = good music without = bad. then it became music with difficuilt technical guitar= good.

then it all changed i melowed a bit started to reapreciate the value of a good tune. and slowly more doors open up. now i like all sorts of music. all the guitar related ones. but others now as well.

i can listen to jazz that doesnt have guitars. enjoy a bit of good piano or sax. just cos the tone isnt guitar tone doesnt meen its not good.

then very recently it changed in a big way. i got into trance music. well psytrance to be specific. its a bit underground but in my mind that makes it better. good ayering of tracks interestin melodies, very different to the comercial stuff. i even find myslef now liking some hip hop, the uncomercial stuff. never expected that.

oh well just wondered if any of u felt the same. personally i feel its liberating and opens ur mind to music which can only be good for ur guitar playin.

ps if any of u can buy the psytrance euphoria album mixed by john '00' fleming its well worth it. second cd has some proper good stuff on it especially the track ghost in the machiene (wizzy noise) remixed by xerox and illumination.

awsoem track with a very cool melody line at about 1 min 40.
# 1
BrokenJera
BrokenJera
05/11/2008 8:53 pm
me personally i really love the piano. blues piano jazz piano even classical piano. i really like bethoven chopin bach mozart you know that kind of stuff.
i also like marching band style music like star and stripes johnny came marching home you know the stuff.

i also have a thing for horn sections. louis armstrong style stuff.
They say the END is near, but I'm Tired of waiting.
# 2
earthman buck
earthman buck
05/11/2008 9:56 pm
I couldn't care less if a song has guitar or not, it's all about how good the song itself is for me. I think focusing only on music that is guitar-intensive is the musical equivalent of racism.
# 3
Superhuman
Superhuman
05/11/2008 11:13 pm
If it sounds good then its good - classical music floats my boat if I'm not listenting to rock/metal or instrumental guitar - I also like experimental, musical techno/trance (eg Astralasia or Trancewave). I have a distinct hatred for all things hiphop, rnb, rap, numetal and grunge though... :mad:
# 4
Fret spider
Fret spider
05/11/2008 11:18 pm
Originally Posted by: SuperhumanIf it sounds good then its good - classical music floats my boat if I'm not listenting to rock/metal or instrumental guitar - I also like experimental, musical techno/trance (eg Astralasia or Trancewave).:

i used to ageree but theres some stuff u have to look a bit underground that is kinda cool the lyrics are good, thought provokin and backin is actuallly musical and interestin.

none of the stuff u see on tv is any good though all sh&t in my opinion. meh i dunno i guess im just od
# 5
Fret spider
Fret spider
05/11/2008 11:21 pm
Originally Posted by: Superhuman. I have a distinct hatred for all things hiphop, rnb, rap, numetal and grunge though... :mad:

i used to agree with this. but ive found the odd song or artist. normally underground ones with more thought provokin or interestin lyrics and styles of delivery with good backin tracks and baselines. none of the comercial stuff u would see on tv though
# 6
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/12/2008 1:48 am
One of my favorite pieces of music is Ravel's Bolero.
Been listening to it since I was a kid.
# 7
fuyu
Full Access
fuyu
Full Access
05/12/2008 6:52 am
I agree with earthman buck about being musically racist lol. Being a former online radio DJ for a variety station, I dealt with a lot of people calling other genres crap just because it wasn't a genre that they liked. But then again .. it is an opinion.. and you like what you like. I just hate when people generally criticize a particular genre when they haven't even given it a chance.

As for myself though, I wasn't into rock music at all until I hit my 20's. I used to be into r&b/hip-hop music during my teens. I'm pretty open minded when it comes to music now though. :) I'll listen to anything as long as it's good. :o
# 8
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/12/2008 2:03 pm
Originally Posted by: Fret spiderhey i was wonderin whio here listens to music that isnt guitar oriented.

I spend far more time listening to Beethoven than anything guitar related. I love his symphonies & concertos. Lately, all I listen to is a boxed set of his 32 piano sonatas played by Gulda. It is the most beautiful music I've ever heard.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_compositions_by_Ludwig_van_Beethoven

When I want a change of pace I put in an Art Tatum solo masterpiece CD. Tatum set the standard for virtuoso solo jazz piano. :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Art_Tatum
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 9
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
sixpicker
Telecastered Instructor
05/12/2008 7:07 pm
Moonlight Sonata is one of my favorite pieces, I listen to everything. There is usually a guitar somewhere in the mix though.

JD

Check out my lessons
http://www.guitartricks.com/instructor.php?g=all&input=52878
# 10
ZakJenkins
ZakJenkins
05/13/2008 12:51 am
I don't consider myself a guitarist, foremost I consider myself a musician, the guitar is just my instrument to communicate what's in my head out into everyone else's. It's called an instrument for a reason, it's a tool. A tool to express. Whatever tool you pick, you're still expressing yourself. Granted, sometimes you can't express yourself with a certain instrument, and thus, new ones are created.
# 11
Silimtao
Silimtao
05/13/2008 3:02 am
Good question. I kinda wondered what everyone here listened to also. Before I discovered rock, I grew up on soul (from an older sister), Motown stuff. One of my all time favorite albums that I can listen to front and back is Marvin Gaye's What's Goin' On album.

I like some classical- Fur Elise & Moonlight Sonata are 2 of my favs.

I like some fusion by a Berklee horn instructor- named Tiger Okoshi. Used to see him at clubs when I was there. I think he played a cornet live, but I think he mainly taught trumpet. He really rocked, w/out being a rocker, but I guess that's why they call it fusion.

In the dead days of rock, the early '80s- dare I say it? Yeah, I went to discos :eek: At least it was danceable, and a good way to meet the ladies.

I also like a lot of pop, pop/rock- Todd Rundgren, Michael McDondald, and stuff my daughter listens to that do covers of tunes when I was her age.

My 2 favorite singers- and I guess this will sound really weird to some- are Dionne Warwick, and Johnny Mathis- my sis used to listen to them all the time.

Never got into punk much, but I went to CBGBs in NYC plenty of times.

I can take straight ahead jazz in small doses. I'm just beginning to get into metal, but I'll always be a '70s rocker/blues guitar guy + finger-picking stuff; ragtime,chicken pickin', some classical is always cool, especially when someone sees my guitars and asks me to play something- which is rare, thankfully, lol.

I'll pretty much listen to anything, but anytime I hear an "Easy Listening" station, I want to bang my head against the wall.
Silimtao-The Way of the Little Idea

I want to die peacefully like my grandfather. Unlike the other passengers in the car, screaming and crying. (unknown)
# 12
quickfingers
quickfingers
05/15/2008 4:17 am
i've been studying music for a few years so i've had a fair share of classical music thrown at me. it's amazing how much you realize you love classical music after you listen to shumann and 12-tone composers (not that i'm hating on 12 tone technique, i just haven't had enough time to let it sink into my comfortable listening reportore). i'm a pretty big indie rock fan, too. i love simplicity when it's for simplicity's sake. i don't like crap guitar solos that are crappy because the musician can't play the damn thing, though. that irritates me.

i like trance in smaller doses, and uncomercialized hiphop is always welcome in my CD player.

but yea, as far as music that doesn't contain guitar, i'm in love with baroque-era pieces so bach is one of my more notable favorites.
"the more you know, the less you know. I don't feel like i know shit anymore, but i love it."
-Mike Stern

PERSONAL WANKAGE
# 13
mk.zombie
mk.zombie
05/15/2008 5:22 am
dam mate i like th e way you think.
i only sing on today and thouht for youed all think i was a geak for liking
hip hop.
this band you wrot about sonds iteresting were can i get a sampel? :)
# 14
davazn
davazn
05/15/2008 3:19 pm
I have a distinct hatred for all things hiphop, rnb, rap, numetal and grunge though...

amen brother :D
Here until the horsemen ride again,
then...
God Help us All
# 15
earthman buck
earthman buck
05/15/2008 5:14 pm
Just the other day, I spent like 5+ hours downloading all this classic rap for no apparent reason, and I must say, it is genius. Between all the niggaz and bitchez, that is.

Doing so led me to Buck 65, who is this Canadian alt-hip-hop sorta guy. He's really good, and his lyrics are pretty intelligent too.
# 16
enoma14
enoma14
05/17/2008 2:33 am
its ok, i like it but don't realize it till i try to play it :)
and then there is rap music...
:p [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Enoma14[/FONT] :p
# 17
Quicksliver
Quicksliver
05/19/2008 5:59 am
I really dig that song "Cool Like 'Dat".

Sometimes I'm into techno or some classical. Like Bach or Beethoven. I love Moonlight Sonata. Forgot how to play it though.
# 18

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.