Deep Emotion

EPISODER
EPISODER
04/28/2008 12:38 pm
I find it easy to write songs whenever I'm feeling very strong emotions.

Most of the time (sadly) the crappier I feel, the better of a song I write. Lyrics seem to come to me whenever I feel good, but melodies and beats just flow out of me when I'm down.

I write metal-core most of the time, but recently something came up with a girl I really care for, and I wrote the best song I've ever written, in 10 min. It was sort of like a metal ballad.

I really would like to know under what conditions you guys (and gals) write better songs.
[FONT=Fixedsys]A tout le monde, A tout mes amis, Je vous aime, Je dois partir. These are the last words I'll ever speak, and they'll set me free![/FONT] ;)
# 1
earthman buck
earthman buck
04/28/2008 4:22 pm
I usually don't put pen to paper until I have at least a verse and a half worked out in my head. I tend to just pace around and think of how it should be worded, or concentrate hard on it as I'm doing something else. I pretty much just let it stew until I know where I'm going with it, then I write down what I have and the rest just flows out.
# 2
Matt_Waldner
Matt_Waldner
04/29/2008 6:15 am
when I'm angry/curious/sad/in love/afraid/whatever of something and express that on my instrument, usually that gives me better results than picking up my guitar and just trying to pull something out of my ass.

Having an emotion in place pretty much tells me what the song is going to sound like.

It goes hand in hand with knowing what you want to do before sitting down and writing a song. Knowing what and which emotion you want to express before composing the song is a key ingredient.
# 3
earthone
earthone
04/29/2008 6:26 am
A song is not a song without emotions.. When I write I visulize the time and place. When the music and lyric are right it brings tears to my eyes. I love telling a story in under three and half minutes. A story that brings pictures to ones mind and they too, responnd with the emotion of dance, foot tapping, or buying another round.
# 4
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
05/01/2008 5:06 pm
1) I write a page of random lines and somehow find a common them and duct tape a song together with chords.
2) Jamming at a party. Or just partying... If you know what I mean.
3) The whole emotions thing.
4) An incubus visited me the night previous and I have a sudden moment of inspiration the next day.

# 5
looneytunes
looneytunes
05/02/2008 5:50 pm
Originally Posted by: earthoneA song is not a song without emotions..

When I write lyrics, it has very little to do with my emotions. I may draw upon my past experiences and emotions, but it’s not anything I am going through at the time.
It usually takes 20 to 30 minutes for me to write a song and I have written hundreds of songs. I am always inspired to write starting with something I heard, or a cliché, etc. It maybe a name of a city, a smell, an oddity of sort, or even a joke that gives me an idea and it runs out of control from there. It could be anything! I guess my senses play more of role in my writing than my emotions.
I have written love songs, but it wasn’t because of my emotions at the time. I am involved in different campaigns and have written songs reflecting my views, but not my feelings or emotions. I guess I wouldn’t know how to start using my emotions. I mean, if I am sad or angry, I couldn’t concentrate enough to write. If I am depressed, the last thing I would do is write a song. I guess the same would go when in love, happy, etc. Probably the closest thing to writing while under an emotional situation would have been when I wrote poet while serving in South Viet Nam.
I am not saying that anything is wrong in using your emotions to write. I am just saying that is not the way I do it.
# 6
Drew77
Drew77
05/03/2008 3:40 am
I'd say emotion is not necessary as well. Usually when I write it is based around a concept or thought, or a story. I suppose in doing that often I am trying to communicate a feeling or occasionally an emotion, such as the emotion of a character but it is not really a result of strong emotions I am feeling.

Usually I am trying to communicate an idea or trying to get a particular reaction.
# 7
earthman buck
earthman buck
05/03/2008 6:52 am
Yeah, if I'm feeling any emotion too strongly, I avoid writing songs like the plague. They're bound to turn out ridiculous. I think it's important to be able to stand back from emotion, so you can get a better look at it and perhaps understand it better.
# 8
Drew77
Drew77
05/03/2008 3:49 pm
Thats a good point Earthman, it is hard to really understand something you are too close to.

Also writing things when emotions are high can result in you being to attached to a song to give it the necessary criticisms.
# 9
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
05/12/2008 5:52 pm
Originally Posted by: looneytunesWhen I write lyrics, it has very little to do with my emotions. I may draw upon my past experiences and emotions, but it’s not anything I am going through at the time.
It usually takes 20 to 30 minutes for me to write a song and I have written hundreds of songs. I am always inspired to write starting with something I heard, or a cliché, etc. It maybe a name of a city, a smell, an oddity of sort, or even a joke that gives me an idea and it runs out of control from there. It could be anything! I guess my senses play more of role in my writing than my emotions.
I have written love songs, but it wasn’t because of my emotions at the time. I am involved in different campaigns and have written songs reflecting my views, but not my feelings or emotions. I guess I wouldn’t know how to start using my emotions. I mean, if I am sad or angry, I couldn’t concentrate enough to write. If I am depressed, the last thing I would do is write a song. I guess the same would go when in love, happy, etc. Probably the closest thing to writing while under an emotional situation would have been when I wrote poet while serving in South Viet Nam.
I am not saying that anything is wrong in using your emotions to write. I am just saying that is not the way I do it.

Twenty to thirty minutes? I envy that! Do you ever have a problem leaving songs unfinished? I can't understand why I have such a block when it comes to finishing and its getting to point where all my songs are disorganized and unfinished and I just end up moving on. SO yeah some advice would be cool from someone who can write a lot of song in a quick amount of time on a whim.

# 10
Drew77
Drew77
05/12/2008 11:59 pm
I have the same problem. What it is is absolutely forcing yourself to get through the song. The more you can finish songs the easier it becomes to get through them with out blocking. It's the same thing with painting, it's a sort of discipline.

Its like forcing yourself to do a 150 hour painting so that your 30 hour paintings are easier to get through. Plus the more you do it the easier it gets. So finishing songs will become easier because you will probably develop a particular tendencies of how you end them. All that will inform your song writing style and eventually it will be natural.

It's just hard forcing yourself to do it because for a while it isn't any fun.
# 11
looneytunes
looneytunes
05/13/2008 12:08 pm
Originally Posted by: iihollyTwenty to thirty minutes? I envy that! Do you ever have a problem leaving songs unfinished? I can't understand why I have such a block when it comes to finishing and its getting to point where all my songs are disorganized and unfinished and I just end up moving on. SO yeah some advice would be cool from someone who can write a lot of song in a quick amount of time on a whim.

When I say I usually write a song in 20-30 mins. I am talking about the lyrics only. The key to writing lyrics (in rhyme) is to practice and increase your vocabulary. The music part takes me longer, but I can usually complete the lyrics and a tune in a couple of hours. Embellishment and polishing takes much longer!

Yes, I have a file on my computer of unfinished songs, ideas, phrases and just words I like the sound of, such as, “pants” and others. I do go back to this file from time to time, but they usually go nowhere. I also have finished songs that I don’t like and do nothing with.

I usually get an idea, an inspiration, and the song writes itself.

I practice writing in rhyme by jotting down little tidbits. A helpful hint to writing in rhyme is there are exact rhymes, near rhymes, and adding and “s” or using slang. Don’t try to put a syllable on every beat. A good singer will make it work by hanging on the word or snapping it short.

Anyway that’s how I do it. There are many rules to songwriting, but rules are made to be broken.
# 12
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
05/19/2008 2:29 pm
Rules aren't really what I was seeking, I was hoping for some really fresh magical advice that would suddenly turn me into an assertive writer. Maybe it would just help if I were a more assertive and organize person. As I've been tracking my songwriting abilities they just seem to be increasing over time. So probably by the time I'm 25 I'll be able to write a whole song in 20 to 30 minutes, without losing it or forgetting about it.
I'm the opposite way with lyrics and the guitar aspect. I just makes up little bits with guitar. Then later I'll proceed to string bits and pieces of guitar parts together to be matched to song.

# 13
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
05/19/2008 2:29 pm
Rules aren't really what I was seeking, I was hoping for some really fresh magical advice that would suddenly turn me into an assertive writer. Maybe it would just help if I were a more assertive and organize person. As I've been tracking my songwriting abilities they just seem to be increasing over time. So probably by the time I'm 25 I'll be able to write a whole song in 20 to 30 minutes, without losing it or forgetting about it.
I'm the opposite way with lyrics and the guitar aspect. I just makes up little bits with guitar. Then later I'll proceed to string bits and pieces of guitar parts together to be matched to song.

# 14
looneytunes
looneytunes
05/19/2008 5:00 pm
Writing lyrics is magical! The lyrics come from inspiration and inspiration can come from anywhere!

You may see, hear, taste, touch, or even smell something that will inspire you to write. It maybe a person in your life, or person you would like to meet. I could be phrase you overheard or feeling you once had, but is magical. It’s magical because you weren’t thinking about writing a song, but you were inspired to write.

Putting your thoughts into rhyme is just practice. Some people have the gift of rhyme. I don’t. I have to work at it. Don’t under estimate your abilities. It’s like everything else in life. You have to work at it to make it a success. If it were easy, everyone would be doing it.

I have written lyrics for people that provided me the music or the idea. I really don't think there is much different for me, but when I write for myself I start with the lyrics. I fall in love with the lyrics of songs I heard long before I enjoy the music.

I don't know if this has helped you with your writing, but it may help you to understand the magic of song writing.

Just remember not to take anything I say to serious. I a little looney don't ya know!
# 15
Drew77
Drew77
05/19/2008 10:08 pm
There is no advice that is going to make you better at anything. It is just about doing it a lot until you are good at it.

The best thing you can do other than writing is reading. Find lyrics yo love and really get into them. Find interviews with the song writer or things they have written other than lyrics. Immerse yourself in good music and lyrics and poetry.

The major difference between beginners and experienced songwriters (or anything really) is usually complexity of thought and how naturally they can apply that to their writing. As you write more and are honest with yourself about what your writing you'll learn how to think that way. Learning about great song writers and how/what they wrote is a great way to get clues on how you might progress and get better but it is all about actually doing it and not really about what you know.

All the rules and advice and guidelines in the world won't make you a good writer.
# 16
looneytunes
looneytunes
05/20/2008 11:34 am
Originally Posted by: Drew77The best thing you can do other than writing is reading. Find lyrics yo love and really get into them. Find interviews with the song writer or things they have written other than lyrics. Immerse yourself in good music and lyrics and poetry.

To each his own, but I have never done this. I seldom even listen to others music. I could care less what others are doing. If I am on a long trip I might put in a CD and I do go to a few concerts from time to time. In my younger years I read some poetry and listened to more music than I do now. I'm just to busy to just sit and listen or read lyrics. I am inspired to write, I don't use anything or any structure or sound or style from anyone (other than songwriters format). My stuff is all original.

I might add lyrics or change lyrics for someones music. I had even taken a whole song that someone wrote and changed it completely, but it's at their request.

I guess you can learn from others. I am not putting down what you said. I just don't do it that way. It is true the more you do the better you become and more you enjoy it.
# 17
Audrey4
Audrey4
05/24/2008 9:47 pm
[FONT=Georgia]For me, it's to write a song, but I can easily change it in a good way and change the music, too! I really like to do that and soon, when I'll grow up, I'm going to be an arranger! :) [/FONT]
# 18
looneytunes
looneytunes
05/27/2008 6:30 pm
Originally Posted by: Audrey4 when I'll grow up, I'm going to be an arranger! :)

How old do you have to be? Start now!
# 19
Drew77
Drew77
05/28/2008 3:56 pm
Originally Posted by: looneytunesI am inspired to write, I don't use anything or any structure or sound or style from anyone (other than songwriters format). My stuff is all original.

No it's not. Not in the you mean anyway. My stuff is original too and I make it a point to listen to a lot of other music.

We all have ideas about what music sounds like and thats how we decide to write our music. Our ideas are all based on other music we have heard over the years. All the music we have heard is compressed down into an idea in our head which coordinates the way we create music. You aren't being more original by ignoring what other people are doing. I would actually propose that you are limiting yourself by not listening to lots of music, because you are drawing on a much smaller pool of ideas. This isn't necessarily true but it is possible.

It isn't a great idea to listen to only one band all the time, or just a few but it listening to a lot of music and really listening to whats going on is a great way to learn songwriting. Obviously then you have to take that theoretical knowledge and apply it to your songs and in doing so you learn more and grow as a songwriter. Maybe not everything you hear and love can be assimilated into your music the way you think it will but it will teach you about not only music but yourself as a musician.

If you aren't paying attention to what other artists around you are doing then you missing a great opportunity to learn. No one has all the answers by themselves and I know I am not anywhere near as talented or experienced as any of my idols or many other people so to not take the opportunity to learn from them and their hard won wisdom would be silly.

Looney I am not talking to you specifically. You have your way of doing things and if it makes you happy then thats fine, but for any young musicians, listening to a ton of music can really help you keep moving forward and evolving. Plus it isn't like listening to music is a hardship. Loving music is a prerequisite to writing good music.
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.