View post (Deep Emotion)

View thread

iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
05/12/2008 5:52 pm
Originally Posted by: looneytunesWhen I write lyrics, it has very little to do with my emotions. I may draw upon my past experiences and emotions, but it’s not anything I am going through at the time.
It usually takes 20 to 30 minutes for me to write a song and I have written hundreds of songs. I am always inspired to write starting with something I heard, or a cliché, etc. It maybe a name of a city, a smell, an oddity of sort, or even a joke that gives me an idea and it runs out of control from there. It could be anything! I guess my senses play more of role in my writing than my emotions.
I have written love songs, but it wasn’t because of my emotions at the time. I am involved in different campaigns and have written songs reflecting my views, but not my feelings or emotions. I guess I wouldn’t know how to start using my emotions. I mean, if I am sad or angry, I couldn’t concentrate enough to write. If I am depressed, the last thing I would do is write a song. I guess the same would go when in love, happy, etc. Probably the closest thing to writing while under an emotional situation would have been when I wrote poet while serving in South Viet Nam.
I am not saying that anything is wrong in using your emotions to write. I am just saying that is not the way I do it.

Twenty to thirty minutes? I envy that! Do you ever have a problem leaving songs unfinished? I can't understand why I have such a block when it comes to finishing and its getting to point where all my songs are disorganized and unfinished and I just end up moving on. SO yeah some advice would be cool from someone who can write a lot of song in a quick amount of time on a whim.