Practicin chords

dimin
dimin
04/26/2008 8:47 pm
Hello everybody! I don't know how many of you are familiar with it, but I am currently taking the Learning & Mastering Guitar Course with Steve Krenz published by Legacy Systems. It appears to be an excellent course. Right now I am learning the C & G7 chords on the acoustic, which I have to conquer before I can move on, but no matter how hard I try I cannot seem to play them cleanly. Particularly the "C" chord. I can't seem to get my two middle fingers on the strings at a straight on angle of "attack". Is there any "magic" formula to accomplish this or is the key just plain old persistence? Additionally, an opinion if you would. I have a Takamini acoustic which I purchased over 30 yrs, ago which is solid mahogany. it seems to have a beautiful tone and from what little knowledge I have, the action seems to be about right (I am using D'Addorio light strings for now to get me through my novice period), any one have any experience with these Guitars or opinions of them. Don't hold back, I have thick skin, but it's like an old friend to me.
Thanks everybody,
Dick
A very old newbie
# 1
Guitardude61951
Full Access
Guitardude61951
Full Access
04/26/2008 9:07 pm
I"ve noticed with many beginners that the C major chord seems to be a toughie. I must have been lucky because it was always the Dmajor that got me in the beginning. Anyway, from what I've seen, new people tend to not have their wrist as "upright" and it makes those middle fingers touch other strings. I'm not sure if thats your problem as I can't see your fingering. Try bring your wrist up a few more degrees and maybe it'll help.

Persistence is indeed key, as well. I thought I'd never get those chord changes way back when.
# 2
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/26/2008 9:20 pm
Basically it's practice and persistence.

One thing you can try, to get your fingers used to playing in that position is to temporarily move further up the neck. For instance, use a capo on the 3rd fret and play the C chord (which would now be an Eb) up there for awhile until you get used to it. Then a week later or whatever, move it down by one fret and so on.

(if ya think C is hard, wait till you get to the F chord :)
# 3
ren
ren
04/27/2008 11:59 am
Originally Posted by: Kevin Taylor... (if ya think C is hard, wait till you get to the F chord :)

Or a B... ;)

Kevin is spot on, also - make sure you're playinng right on your finger tips, and that your thumb is in the middle of the neck. That should help you get more of an arch in your fingers and get a cleaner sound.

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 4
tommyfury
tommyfury
04/27/2008 12:02 pm
i try to avoid playing songs with the f chord lol i see it in the tab and move along
# 5
dimin
dimin
04/27/2008 3:35 pm
Thanks for the responses folks. I have been plugging away, and ironically I am starting to play the "C" chord more cleanly, but I'm still having trouble getting that arch around enough to play the "G7" without that annoying buzz. And my wrist tires quickly when I try and stay with it for any duration, but I guess that will come with time. I do have a capo available and I'll give that a try also. I'm not unfamiliar with the "F" chord gang. :D In my many futile attempts to learn how to play this instrument on previous occasions, the "F" was one of my arch (no pun intended) enemies and probably one of the many reasons those previous attempts were doomed to failure. But not this time, there is no "quit" in me this time and "come hell or high water", I'm going to learn how to play this thing this time around. :) Any thoughts about the Takamini? I've always thought it was a beautiful instrument and the tone sounds great and it seems well constructed, but that's all strictly a novice's perception of it. It's never been "set up". Do you think it would be worth the money to look into that possibility? Finally, I also have an Epiphone Les Paul custom Ebony. Do you think I would be better served learning on the electric Epiphone or stick with the acoustic?
Thanks folks,
Dick
# 6
ren
ren
04/28/2008 11:31 am
I've never played a Takamini, but I hear good things about takamine guitars, so probably no worries. However, it is only a 3/4 size guitar - if you have big hands like me, that might make things a little difficult.

You'll find that the string tension on the epiphone will be lighter, and playing in general will be easier on the fretting hand fingers. It might benefit you to try the same chords on the electric and see how you get on. A G7 on the epiphone might be a breeze for you.

Bottom line - does the music you want to play work best electric or acoustic? I learned classical originally, and didn't get an electric until 8 years later... but now electric is pretty much all I play.

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 7
ajt178
Adriel
ajt178
Adriel
04/28/2008 11:35 am
I owned a Takamine for a while. Great guitar, best acoustic I ever had.
[FONT=Courier New]
Fender Malmsteen Strat
Crate GT-212 Amp
Behringer V-Amp Pro/Line 6 Pocket Pod
[/FONT]
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.