GT Solo Assignments?

light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
02/12/2008 12:03 pm
Hey.. was there no assignment for Feb and what about March? If there's no backing track for March 2008.. I will start work on one if you guys want? I feel confident enough with my recording software and drum-loops to be able to put together a decent backing track. It will also give me an opportunity to experiment with my MIDI keyboard to produce Bass and ambience tracks as well. Let me know now, so I can begin work on it.
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 1
Superhuman
Superhuman
02/12/2008 3:18 pm
Cool with me, although its not my call!
Re this months assignment, I actually have something that can be used straight away if nobody else minds? Already recorded and mixed with bass, drums and rhythm guitar. IF it's cool, let me know and I will post a link tonight.
Also, I'll get around to posting my comments and vote for January's track tonight too - been real busy with the job and kids. Havent touched my guitars since last months assignment - kind of ran out of motivation and ideas so I thought a break away from the axe would be best. Will start again when my Universe 7 string arrives;-)
# 2
dethm3tal
dethm3tal
02/12/2008 7:31 pm
That sounds great to me Light! I am really looking forward to playing a track this coming month, I've been out of it w/ guitar and I need something to pull me back xD

Best of luck dude!

MKylman
# 3
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
02/15/2008 2:53 am
I have begun work on the March 2008 track. I have the chord progression.. and now I just need to get a good, solid take of it and then start work on making the drum track a little more than a basic drum loop.. then add some bass and may be a little keyboard to it. I would never use this chord progression in one of my own songs because it reminds me of too many songs I already know.. it reminds me a lot of the instrumental section at the end of "Layla" by Eric Clapton when he was in "Derek and the Dominoes". It's bluesly, jazzy but still rocky and poppy.. haha.. I don't know.. it just reminds me of that.. with a bit of a minor change thrown in to make a it a little different... but yeh.. you'll see what I mean when I finish it.
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 4
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
02/18/2008 8:21 am
I was gonna be mad if someone didn'tstart this back up.

We used to have alot of fun with it.

If you need Threads and stuff stickied just shoot me a pm. :)
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 5
FingerSpasm
FingerSpasm
02/24/2008 1:42 pm
I was kinda under the impression that with all the free backing tracks out on the web that a guy could just grab one and put it on here. Really you just need a drum beat with a bass guitar. Just with that alone you can have a Bluesy track a Metal type track or Jazz etc etc. It does not have to be that complex since its about the solo anyway... The backing track is just to set the tempo and maybe define a direction. To me the backing track does not seem to be the problem as much as a lack of who is actually in charge of this thing since Magicninja had to let it go. I think this thing would go much smoother if we could find someone who has the time and wants to take on the responsibility to keep this thing going.... Its one of the main reasons I visit this site. No other site does this and I will be really bummed if it dies. I really think we need to have someone designated to run this thing and have the ability to do the sticky deal to the thread so it stays on top of the first page. Just my opinion.
# 6
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
02/24/2008 6:58 pm
I want to contribute and this is one way I can do that. It also gives me some practise with recording and all that as well. I have the rhythm track done now, did it last night. Gonna finish it up some time this week. I didn't just grab any old chord progression and throw it together. I picked a progression that is fairly basic, like you say it's not so much about the backing track, but also gives the soloist some direction and inspiration to play along with. I also agree that there needs to be a consistent release and someone to keep reminding people about it etc.
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 7
seazer
seazer
02/25/2008 1:58 am
Thanx, finger spazm and light for your input. I do agree with finger's that someone picks up the ball and runs, it is a great group and practice chance for everyone to get involved. Sorry I cant do it ATM but if circumstance's change for me I would give it a go...but we need to rally the troops and get this happening ...just a thought...Fire up your track for next month Light good onya ;)
# 8
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
02/25/2008 7:46 am
Yeh it's not going to be the perfection and sophistication of such backing tracks we've had before. I am far from that accomplished. However we need something, and I have something almost completed so it will have to do. I have tested it during it's development and it allows for much creativity to be played over the top of it.
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 9
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
02/29/2008 10:56 am
Ok.. sorry I haven't posted the new backing track yet.. I will definitely have it posted this weekend, probably sometime tomorrow.. well technically it is still 29th Feb according to the Forums' time/date so I am not late but yeh.. I am not finished yet and tomorrow is the 1st of March and only 2 hours away according to my clock here in Sydney.. lol..

I've had some problems with finding a decent bass sound.. thinking of leaving out the bass altogether rather than settling for a fake-sounding bass sound. The guitar rhythm track has a lot of bass in it already so it is not that essential.. just wasted so much time trying to find a decent sound on my extremely tight budget (ie.. I am broke.. hehe) so yeh..

Like FingerSpasm said, it's not about the backing track I suppose but yeh.. I wanted to make something nice anyway.. a royalty-free, freebie backing track just doesn't cut it for me.. as a last resort perhaps.. but to get this thing to keep on rolling, I think a conscious effort is required.
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 10
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
03/01/2008 8:08 am
I took the liberty of stickying your thread. Happy to see it return and on it's 2 year anniversarry no less!
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 11
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
03/01/2008 8:40 am
Thanks for that, magicninja. I'll apply for mod access with Jon and see what he says.
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 12

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.