Is there such a Site?

looneytunes
looneytunes
11/21/2007 2:00 pm
Can anyone recommend a site for old decrepted fellowers like myself? You know the senior citizen pack. A site for old retired guitar players & songwriters.

A BB were most particiants enjoy blues, bluegrass, folk, old rock-n-roll, etc. and can't stand heavy metal, satanic, Rap, cause flash backs to their Vietnam days. Where their nerves are shot and everything is new because they have no short term memory. Where they are grateful for what they have and don't expect anything from anyone. Where you can voice an opinon without worrying about someone putting you on their hit list. Where CHRISTmas & Easter is not winterfest and spring vacation. Where enjoying life is an every day experience. Where they only blame themselves for their problems and not government, parents, police, neighbors, or anybody. Where they say "Good Morning" instead of "Hey". Where they might wear colorful clothing instead of basic black. Where God and country mean something.

Is there such a site? :confused:

Have a Happy Thanksgiving! :)
# 1
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/22/2007 5:18 am
You'll might actually find this site pretty much to your liking.
A good majority of members here are old fogeys, including the instructors and a lot of the forum members.

We tend to use groovy words like "dude" etc... but overall, I think according to our site specs recently, a lot of our members are people like yourself who are getting back into guitar after many years.

What can I say... there's no obligation here... just try signing up for a month and browse around the instructors & see if there's anything you like.
Most of us have 20+ years of experience and are happy to help if you don't understand something. If you don't find the site to your liking, you're free to cancel at any time :)
# 2
looneytunes
looneytunes
11/22/2007 3:56 pm
Thank you for your advise. I am not just starting to get back into guitar after many years. I have been playing continually since I was 13. There may have been a few pauses, but certainly not recently and certainly not for a long period of time. I even had a guitar with me in Vietnam. I don't consider myself good enough to be a professional performer although co-workers, friends, neighbors, family, etc. do. I perform only at reunions, parties, etc. and I don't charge. These are my friends!

My passion is writing and I have been very successful at it. I do not write full time, because, frankly, I don't like the pressure.

You may think that I am putting you guys down and maybe I am poking fun, but I actually think most of you are pretty decent people. I don't particularity like most of the music, but there are some I do like. Some I like very much. I feel there are some very talented people at this site and some I just don't understand.

But thats what makes life worth living, varity.

I do think I would be happier on a site were my kind of music is welcomed and my age group. I find some here do not appreciate anyone giving their pinions other than themselves. Some are quick to anger. I am not mad or anything. I'm just disappointed.

I might stick around for a while, but I am looking for another site or maybe I will just drop this BB stuff all together. I'm still writing and playing so what does it matter.

Do have a Happy Thankgiving! :)
# 3
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
11/22/2007 9:46 pm
Well... there's over 3000 lesson to choose from so there's bound to be something worth looking at: There's a ton of scales and recording info...so just spend a coupla weeks browsing around:

Here's some 3 note per string scales that should keep ya busy for while..
http://www.guitartricks.com/tutorial.php?input=28

...and a tutorial on multitrack recording....
http://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=7291
# 4
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
11/23/2007 3:40 am
Originally Posted by: looneytunesThank you for your advise. I am not just starting to get back into guitar after many years. I have been playing continually since I was 13. There may have been a few pauses, but certainly not recently and certainly not for a long period of time. I even had a guitar with me in Vietnam. I don't consider myself good enough to be a professional performer although co-workers, friends, neighbors, family, etc. do. I perform only at reunions, parties, etc. and I don't charge. These are my friends!

My passion is writing and I have been very successful at it. I do not write full time, because, frankly, I don't like the pressure.

You may think that I am putting you guys down and maybe I am poking fun, but I actually think most of you are pretty decent people. I don't particularity like most of the music, but there are some I do like. Some I like very much. I feel there are some very talented people at this site and some I just don't understand.

But thats what makes life worth living, varity.

I do think I would be happier on a site were my kind of music is welcomed and my age group. I find some here do not appreciate anyone giving their pinions other than themselves. Some are quick to anger. I am not mad or anything. I'm just disappointed.

I might stick around for a while, but I am looking for another site or maybe I will just drop this BB stuff all together. I'm still writing and playing so what does it matter.

Do have a Happy Thankgiving! :)

Well, I think I fit into that category in ways. Granted, I missed Vietnam by three years but I am on the wrong side of forty and love blues and good ol' fashioned rock and roll. Much like society at large, this site is made up of all types. I learn from the older guys and from the younger guys too! I would hate to be in a place filled with people just like me. I would think that would be pretty dull actually.

Plenty of great people and great information here at GT. Heck, it's my cyber-home and I like it here. Hope you decide to stick around. Sounds like you've got some pretty good stuff to share. :)
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 5
looneytunes
looneytunes
11/24/2007 1:31 am
Originally Posted by: hunter60Well, I think I fit into that category in ways. Granted, I missed Vietnam by three years but I am on the wrong side of forty and love blues and good ol' fashioned rock and roll.

Thanks for the lift, but consider yourself fortunate missing Vietnam. I don't consider myself being on the wrong side of forty. I would much rather be on this side of forty than to go through it all again. Of course, if we knew what we know now we wouldn't make the same mistakes. Or would we?

It would be nice not to have all the ailments. I don't mind dying at all, but I don't want to rush things. I'm sort of looking forward to it!

Oh, I realize there are some pretty good people at this site, but I think I would be happier else where.

Thanks, :)
# 6
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
11/24/2007 1:52 am
Originally Posted by: looneytunesThanks for the lift, but consider yourself fortunate missing Vietnam. I don't consider myself being on the wrong side of forty. I would much rather be on this side of forty than to go through it all again. Of course, if we knew what we know now we wouldn't make the same mistakes. Or would we?

It would be nice not to have all the ailments. I don't mind dying at all, but I don't want to rush things. I'm sort of looking forward to it!

Oh, I realize there are some pretty good people at this site, but I think I would be happier else where.

Thanks, :)

Well, I would hate to see you go but you gotta do what you gotta do I guess. Yeah, I am not saddened that I missed Vietnam. But as a veteran myself, I can assure you that all you fine folks who did the time over there have my utmost respect. I served with a bunch of guys who were there and I have a basic understanding of what you all went through and what it took from you.

Salute my friend. Salute.

And I'm with you, I have no heart break with my age. I've had some pretty good times and I am certain there are a lot more ahead. When it ends, it ends and like you I am in not trying to rush things any. :)

If you do go, take care. Hope to see you around somewhere.
# 7
looneytunes
looneytunes
11/24/2007 4:44 pm
Originally Posted by: hunter60Well, I would hate to see you go but you gotta do what you gotta do I guess. Yeah, I am not saddened that I missed Vietnam. But as a veteran myself, I can assure you that all you fine folks who did the time over there have my utmost respect. I served with a bunch of guys who were there and I have a basic understanding of what you all went through and what it took from you.

Salute my friend. Salute.

And I'm with you, I have no heart break with my age. I've had some pretty good times and I am certain there are a lot more ahead. When it ends, it ends and like you I am in not trying to rush things any. :)

If you do go, take care. Hope to see you around somewhere.

I appreciate your kind words and thoughtfulness for all of us that served in Vietnam. I hope you and all on this site are giving the same respect and gratitude to those servicing now across the globe including Iraq.

I have not decided yet to move on to another site, but I am looking. I may end up just dropping the BB thing all together. I am active on another site through my music academy and that and my other actives are taking a lot of my time.

Thanks again and God Bless you!
Oh yeah, do have a nice day!
# 8
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
11/24/2007 10:23 pm
Originally Posted by: looneytunes I hope you and all on this site are giving the same respect and gratitude to those servicing now across the globe including Iraq.

That goes without saying.
# 9
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
11/25/2007 12:44 am
I'm not encouraging you to leave either, but your query raised my own curiosity...so I did a quick search with some of your parameters. Thus, I can't speak for the quality of these, but here's what I came across:

Christian guitar forum
Acoustic guitar forum (this looks awfully familiar :) )
bluegrass forum
Steel guitar forum (though not specifically for typical hand held guitar, it was a top result)

None of these may not be "the one" you're looking for, but take from each what you will. Admittedly, that's what I do here as well, being that I visit several forums of interest.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"Bust a nut!" - Dimebag
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Einstein
[/FONT]
# 10
looneytunes
looneytunes
11/25/2007 7:59 pm
Originally Posted by: R. ShackleferdI'm not encouraging you to leave either, but your query raised my own curiosity...so I did a quick search with some of your parameters. Thus, I can't speak for the quality of these, but here's what I came across:

Christian guitar forum
Acoustic guitar forum (this looks awfully familiar :) )
bluegrass forum
Steel guitar forum (though not specifically for typical hand held guitar, it was a top result)

None of these may not be "the one" you're looking for, but take from each what you will. Admittedly, that's what I do here as well, being that I visit several forums of interest.

Thanks! I will check them out.
# 11

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.