Heres A song I wrote today. What do you think of it?

RBX_A2
RBX_A2
11/10/2007 11:31 pm
Never again will I be blemished
And never again will I be thrown down
Living in the world of the damned
They kill obligation, my only inspiration
But my time is nigh, they are waiting
The thing I treasure most in life
Could be life itself
But life brings pain, I rage again
But where do I begin?
There will never be a reason why, I will surrender tonight
The Thing I treasure most in life
Could be life itself

My soul, my redemption
My only salvation
For that one moment of peace
I could of given you the world
Instead, I gave the world me
(Chorus)
But change again, cannot be considered
Changing, the light of my fathers
Who stood before me, before us
For that one moment of tranquillity
I lost credibility
(Chorus)

At last though, I have failed you
I have failed you
What to do now?
My soul, inspiration, my own obligation
For that one moment, everything was right
For that one moment, I lost my soul, inspiration, my own obligation
(Chorus)

# 1
Sasuke199
Sasuke199
11/11/2007 2:28 am
cool... what does it mean <_<
# 2
RBX_A2
RBX_A2
11/11/2007 9:59 am
Its about having to die for the one you love.
# 3
looneytunes
looneytunes
11/11/2007 11:32 pm
Man, I just don't get it and don't want to catch it!
Why do you and several others fine life so terrible? I love life and enjoy living every minute of it. Life is so precious and yet you make it sound like a prison sentence. Every moment cannot be happy and rewarding. There are sad times, but the good times out weigh the bad. If it doesn't, then change it. Set you goals and make a better life for yourself, don't sit and whine about it!

As far as the song goes. I guess you can tell I didn't like it. Duh! I thought the lyrics were terrible! I think you accidently ryhmed now and then and there is no rythm to it. Lyrics must have a beat to it as you read them. There is no structure to the song accept you did call a part the chorus. Where's no the rhyming structure, no hooks, no refrain, there's nothing. There is no repeat of the title. You don't even have title and that's the first thing you should have! That a song's first hook. If you entitle the song, "For that one moment", you may be on to something. And I think that would may a very good title. I know you said it was rough, but it needs a complete rewrite. I think you should start with the title, "For that one moment" and rewrite the entire song around it.

Mr. Sasuke199, if you have to ask what the song means, then how can you say it was "Cool"? If anyone can't tell what the song is about, then the lyricist didn't do his job. And what's this "having to die for the one you love" crap! Unless you are in a life and death situation, such as, you step in front of your love and take a fatal shot that was meant for her, it's ridiculous. What's wrong with living for your love? And if life is so terrible wouldn't you want your love not to go through it, in other words, if you really loved her, you would want her to die so she wouldn't have suffer through such a terrible life! Like I said, I just don't get it. Maybe you can explain it to me!

Mr. RBX_A2, my suggestion is for you to study successful songs and pay attention to the structure. Take a song writing course or buy a songwriting book, or visit a songwriting website and you will see exactly what I am talking about. Throwing a bunch of shocking sick words together does not make a song, and it certainly does make a good song.

I know some are going to criticize me saying this is not constructive criticism, but I would have to disagree. If people say they liked it, without knowing it's meaning, etc. That is not constructive criticizm. What I say is true based upon simple basic songwriting structure and technics. If nobody every tells the the truth and informs him of what he is doing wrong, then how would he ever learn the right way of doing it?

I may have been able to tell him in a more kindly manner, but it wouldn't have been half as much fun. Anyway, that's my impression of the song and my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Have a nice day! :)
# 4
Drew77
Drew77
11/12/2007 9:08 pm
I agree with looneytunes mostly. On the technical stuff anyway, not maybe as much on the philosophical stuff but the technical is what matters here.

It really didn't seem to have any rhythm or it would start one and then break it. It really felt all over the place, and not in a good way. and like looney said the rhyming was crazy, and you missused several words. The way you say things doesn't really make sense, particularly in the first part of the post (which I am guessing is the chorus).

I think paying attention to syllables would really help you. That is the first step to creating a rhythm. Then just pay close attention to the words you use and how they sound because that also can affect the rhythm. Rhyming (Looneytunes might disagree with me on this but this is just my opinion) is not always necessary. It can really help some things though. You can use it in interesting ways like to connect two ideas that my be seperated (not by lmuch though or they won't connect) and you can manipulate the flow with it.

If you want something to feel disjointed then do something similar to what you have already done but make it make sense. If you want some part of the song to feel faster or like it is flowing faster than the other parts break the rhyme scheme and rhyme several lines in a row. That can create an interesting effect, but this all also depends on how you sing or say it too. Things that rhyme start to flow together and create an easier feeling in a song yours rhymes sometimes but has no scheme or plan or pattern so the rhythm is nonexistent and the flow makes it very hard to read or even sing.

I have already mentioned that it doesn't really make sense the way you have said it. You say it is about dieing for your love but that is definitely not what it seems like. I can use the last few lines as an example.

For that one moment, everything was right
For that one moment, I lost my soul, inspiration, my own obligation

alright, you say "everything is right" and then all the sudden you say it isn't.

I think perhaps you are referring to separate moments but what you may not realize is that by repeating the phrase "for one moment" you are leading us to believe that it is the same moment, and there is the contrast in meanings that is very confusing.

like you are trying to say,"for one moment everything was right, but then I lost my soul, blah, blah blah" like that but thats not what you are saying.

Plus you are talking about dieing for someone you love. You need to take a stance on this, you seem to be all over the place with your feelings. If you want to seem conflicted then emphasize that, if you want it to seem like a noble thing then you really need to rewrite it with that in mind and lose all the weird stuff like loosing your soul and life bring pain. Like I said I have no issues with people writing about that stuff but you seem to be throwing it in there just to have it. If you want to say life brings pain you need to write a song about that, but don't just throw it in everywhere.

The idea that someone is dieing for someone they supposedly love but in some sort of selfishness they begin to regret it after it is too late or are being forced into this position unwillingly is kinda interesting. But you need to pick an idea and stick with it and really work on getting that idea across.

As far as communicating an idea goes though, I am in design school and in design message is god. You have a message and you use everything, everything to communicate and emphasize that message. That part I completely agree with, but I think in lyrics and art and such it is ok to be ambiguous sometimes. as long as everything you do works together to communicate your message.

Cedric Bixler-Zavala is a great example of ambiguity while maintaining common themes and feelings. His lyrics hardly ever make sense but they always convey a feeling and they always work together. He is one of my favorites because his style is so unique and it allows him to word things in amazingly interesting ways. The concepts he develops with his lyrics are quite inspiring.

However he is really the only person I can think of who is really really ambiguous and still good. Paul Simon generally worked under some pretty thick layers of symbolism and metaphor but I wouldn't call his stuff ambiguous really.

But like I said all you really need is focus, and practice (who doesn't though).

My advice is to rewrite this (if you want) like looney said "for one moment" is interesting so start there maybe, or not. Just make sure you are working to communicate one message, even if that is ambiguous. Don't let yourself get distracted with other information. Cohesiveness is all important in communication which is what music really is.

Keep at it though, don't ever let any criticism deter your efforts, but make sure that you pay attention to what people say, thats really the best way to get better.

edit:
wow that ended up being long, but I use spaces alot so its not that bad,
please read though it cause I think it could help you and I spent the time
to write it.

# 5
dvenetian
dvenetian
11/14/2007 2:08 pm
Writing Lyrics is just part of the Songwriting experience. They don't have to be "Happy" and positive, "Sad" and depressive, or make sense by having a storyline with meaning behind them. They don't need a rhyme scheme or to follow a certain template . They just need to make a statement, becoming complementary through adjustments with the other ingredients to have an impact. In the following Lyrics, some of the so-called "rules" were ignored;

:I see your sister in her
Sunday dress
She's out to please
she pouts her best
She's out to take
no need to try
She's ready to make

Chorus;
It's so easy
when everybody's tryin to please me

:Cars are crashin every night
I drink and drive
everythings in sight
I make the fire
but I miss the firefight
I hit the bull's eye every night

Chorus;
Repeat........

:So easy
but nothin seems to please me
it all fits so right
when I fade into the night
see me hit you
you fall down

I see you standing there
you think you're so cool
why don't you just
F--- Off................

Etc, etc, etc..........................................

Just reading these lyrics can sound as some sporadic rhyme scheme is used, while other parts in the section(s) "fall off", or lack a sense of purpose.
But, putting the right progression to balance out the lyrics, this could become a great Song.
It's difficult to predict the outcome of an Artist's work without hearing the complete expression behind it.
# 6
Drew77
Drew77
11/14/2007 3:22 pm
I completely agree with you. It is not possible to judge a song by just reading the lyrics. But even the lyrics you posted have a rhythm.

I did say that rhyming was not necessary, I also said that rhythm could change. You can do anything you want as long as it works. You may want a very disjointed rhythm in your lyrics if your song is very disjointed.

My main problem with the lyrics he posted was not that they didn't conform to some rule but that the way he was putting them down is very obviously not controlled.

Plus it should be said that there are lyrics that are meant just to fill space and complement the music (most lyrics it would seem) and then there are really great lyrics that work well with the music and express something very interesting.
# 7

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.