GT Solo Assignment November 07

Superhuman
Superhuman
11/20/2007 3:03 pm
Sat down for 20 minutes last night for the first time this month and I managed to get a few ideas down - should have something by the end of the week (assuming the babies stay sleeping that is!). Still not goin to listen to anyone's entry becuase it will just cloud my own ideas but I'm really looking forward to checking them out when I'm done.
Seazer thanks for the comments on the BT - it was just one of those flukes the way it came together. I was making a cup of tea and the riffs popped into my mind, 30 mins later the guitars were mostly done and the next day I got the drums and bass down. Look forward to hearing your new axe at work - once you get used to that Ibanez neck you will never look back - I guiarantee it! What did you get anyway? model, pickups, trem, neck type etc.?
Equator - don't know why you would get bad rep - site won't let me give you anymore good rep untill I 'spread some around';-)
Hope to post something back in a few days, ideas aren't the problem, it's just finding the time to sneek into my home studio! Nappies.... more nappies.... eh even more nappies...
# 1
maestro shaz
maestro shaz
11/20/2007 4:18 pm
Finally some people checkin this thread out :)

Not a lot of entries this month, i think everyone might be afraid of this sick BT, cos it is a bit different...

But as Equator said, let's encourage everyone to try it out.

I like your melodies Spedza, nicely planned out, Equator you have definately improved heaps, havent heard ur stuff in a while man. I especially like that sweep towards the end. How u do that??? I cant :confused:

Always waiting to hear Dave's take.... come on man... the babies are asleep right now :p
[FONT=Verdana]
MuSiC RoCkZz
[/FONT]
My Music
# 2
equator
equator
11/20/2007 6:30 pm
Thanks guys for the rep points, I jumped from 26 to 45 points.
I look forward to hearing the takes of other members. :)
Someday I`ll play like in my dreams.

equator's Music Page.

# 3
seazer
seazer
11/21/2007 11:23 am
hi guys,
Please excuse some noise on track this guitar's earthing out just wanted to get the Track done .I have to do some wiring work and setup new strings on this Ibanez '98 jap 470 it was bought as 570 but is 470 oh well :o good neck stock pups v7-v8 but from the mtm model so they' covered.arh what else? trs lo trem not an edge like 570 but the trs lo is better than the follow up trs 11 and 111. Now some work on it and bit of luv and see what we get O'yer and practice.
Had a few more Ideas for this month but I ended up a bit simplified.I'm loving this months takes good stuff :cool:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=724014&content=music
# 4
looneytunes
looneytunes
11/21/2007 1:05 pm
I don't know how these GT projects work, so bare with me. I don't really go for this kind of music, so don't take anything I say to heart.

I thought the lead in was way too long and I found it nerve racking. It wasn't your playing, it was the notes. They just struck a nerve.

After the lead in, there was a long pause before you started playing again. I felt it needed some vocal. After the pause, it got very interesting and I liked it and then came another pause. The finish was good.

It was very good, I just thought there should be some vocal. Again I don't know what you were supposed to do for the project, but that's how I saw it.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving! :)
# 5
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
11/21/2007 4:04 pm
Originally Posted by: looneytunesI don't know how these GT projects work, so bare with me. I don't really go for this kind of music, so don't take anything I say to heart.

I thought the lead in was way too long and I found it nerve racking. It wasn't your playing, it was the notes. They just struck a nerve.

After the lead in, there was a long pause before you started playing again. I felt it needed some vocal. After the pause, it got very interesting and I liked it and then came another pause. The finish was good.

It was very good, I just thought there should be some vocal. Again I don't know what you were supposed to do for the project, but that's how I saw it.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving! :)

you could add some vocals in your contribution if you like
[FONT=Impact]grooviest tunes ever [/FONT]
# 6
looneytunes
looneytunes
11/22/2007 3:16 am
I don't know if it's just me or what, but to me the music seems to drown out your singing. I have trouble understanding the words in all of your songs. I went to your myspace and listened all posted. If you don't mind, I would like to comment on them. Well, I'll go ahead, because I don't think you would post them if you didn't want feed back.

Let me say that I like your voice. You do sound off key at times, but this could be just because you were practicing too much before recording, your just tried, or a number of reasons.

I will save the best for last. Just remember I am not trying to antagonize. I am only offering my opinion.

Messed Up - not much happening here. Rather dull. There was a lot of static. I don't think it was my equipment for this was the only song that had the static.

A Keen Little Boy With A Secret Shared - first the title is way too long. You should have a short title that is easily remember. "Keen Little Boy" or "A Secret Shared" would be much better. The sliding of your fingers on the strings were too oblivious. Way too loud. If I were you, I would try some different strings or string lube.

Misery Of Our Social Harmony - singing was off key a lot. Didn't care for this one at all.

Beaches - More interesting than the others, but again I couldn't make out the words. I assume the background noise was the shore line, but it sounded more like static from where I'm sitting. Way too long before the singing and then not enough. I don't think you were feeling too well when you sang this one. You appeared be somewhere else.

On the 3rd Day - Now I really liked this one. The back-up singers added so much to the song. Done very well. More pleasing to the ear. Did you enjoy doing this one more than the others? You seemed to really enjoy doing it. Again the music drowns out the lyrics. If the lyrics say what I think you were saying, I think this song with a little rewrite and polish could be a big hit. I mean, big! I assume you have it copyright. If you don't you should send it off right away to protect others from latching on to it. It only costs $65. The worst that can happen is you lose $65. If you don't have it copyright, don't say so, just do it.

Do you have the lyrics posted? I would really like to study them. This song could get you started as a performer and songwriter. I don't know what you are doing now. You may be happy where you are.

If you are not interested, that's fine.

What did you mean, "you could add some vocals in your contribution if you like". I don't understand what is going on with these projects. If I were you, I would put everything else on the back burner and concentrate on "On The 3rd Day."

Just my opinion. Did I mention that I really liked it!
# 7
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
11/22/2007 9:07 am
looneytunes,
These monthly projects are simply a way to expand on and challenge everyone's current lead guitar techniques by applying them to instrumental backing tracks (that are provided in the 1st post of the thread, and everyone's submissions are subsequently added on top)...hence the thread title, Monthly Solo Assignment. Vocals are not the focus here. Some members do often post their own song compositions (vocals included) in other threads in the Listening Post, but that's not the focus in this thread. Rather, it's applying some of what we're conceivably learning in the lessons regarding...playing guitar.
I suspect some of your confusion (above) arose by mistaking Jeffhx's link to his music page as his own contribution in this solo assignment...it's not. That's just his signature that is posted with every reply in every thread here at GT...some use famous quotes (like mine), humorous one-liners, or links to various pages of their own personal interest.

Superhuman,
Great bt submission. You've always been one of my favorite players around here. For no good reason I've never consistently participated in these challenges (and I haven't been around GT at all lately), but I think this one will get me off my ass and make an attempt. I'm no shredder for sure, so I don't know how I'll approach it yet, but it sounds fun. So far, I too have refrained from listening to anyone's submissions for the same reason, but look forward to them.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"Bust a nut!" - Dimebag
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Einstein
[/FONT]
# 8
Spedzar
Spedzar
11/22/2007 9:16 am
Hey Looneytunes!

I'm pretty new here too - actually I've been a member for a few months but became interested in the monthly assignment thread and posted my first effort in October. Without being presumptuous, this is what I have learned as a relative newcomer...

The GT Monthly assignement thread is where you get a backing track (BT) at the start of the month (usually posted by Julian Vickers but this month he was busy so "Superhuman" helped out) and this backing track could be in any number of styles...

As an entrant in the contest (whose prize is critical acclaim/constructive criticism) you firstly download or record the BT to your PC and then record your guitar (lead, rhythm, synth, and whatever other additions) onto the to create a new track.

You then post your new track (usually as an MP3 file) to some other site (eg, soundclick, myspace, MP3.com or wherever) and tell the GT listeners in this thread once you have done it, introducing your contribution via a hyperlink to the site where you have posted it, usually with a short blurb about your experiences, thoughts, questions etc about the piece you have created.

Then as a critic, regardless of whether or not you are actually posting your own track, you listen to all the various entrant's postings for the month and provide your constructive criticism. You can do this at any time - (either go back through the whole thread near the end of the month or listen to and comment on postings throughout the month).

Early the following month there will be a poll put up by the site administrators giving you the opportunity to vote for your favourite track from the previous month. And so on and so forth.

So as far as I can see that's mainly how it works (folks please correct me if I'm wrong), and I hope this helps.

Cheers
Spedzar - "the sound of one hand tapping"...
# 9
Superhuman
Superhuman
11/23/2007 1:58 pm
Got it in one Spedzar. It would be a good idea though if the poll was divided into beginner, intermediate and advanced players - between the backing track and the uber advanced shred fests submitted this month I reckon a lot of beginners were scared away! Ranking as per ability would get around this. It's not really a competition in my eyes (although it does feel good to get the most votes!) rather its a great opportunity to get feedback from fellow guitarists and share ideas and knowledge.
Don't be afraid to submit something if you're a beginner, youw will get constructive criticism and tips on how to improve as well as advice on when you have got somethng right. Late getting my own submission in, hope to be able to record something this weekend...

Also, somebody neg repped me on this thread too... must have been someone looking for a folk backing track!
# 10
WrigglerUk
WrigglerUk
11/24/2007 10:23 am
Originally Posted by: Superhuman

Also, somebody neg repped me on this thread too... must have been someone looking for a folk backing track!

Thats a little harsh! I've redressed the balance ( hopefully! ) :)
Can you play "Far Far Away?"

Yes - how far would you like?
# 11
equator
equator
11/24/2007 4:07 pm
What? Another submission and I didn’t reply? Sorry about that seazer. I thought your solo was good, and I liked your tone too. I hope everything goes good with your new guitar.

- I tabbed the sweeps I played. I hope somebody finds it helpful.
The only difference is that I moved up the scale. ( That sweep works well over an Em or Emaj )

- Superhuman, I gave you rep points for the BT, and I assure you that I gave you good points. I tried giving you rep points, but…” I must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Superhuman again.”

Here are all the entries submitted so far. Enjoy!

Spedzar: http://www.myspace.com/riffvanwinkel
Shaz: http://www.myspace.com/maestroshaz
Equator: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=444393
Seazer: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=724014&content=music

Someday I`ll play like in my dreams.

equator's Music Page.

# 12
FingerSpasm
FingerSpasm
11/24/2007 6:14 pm
Just dropped by to see if there was still time to work on an entry... Looks like its still open. I am going to try and put something together by tomorrow night. Then I can listen to all the others. By the way Superhuman I am going to give you some positive rep points also to help make up for the negative. Not to mention the fact that you should get them just for helping to keep this thing going. Thats pretty lame that someone would do that.
Equator gets some positive Rep also for taking the time to post his tab! :)
# 13
seazer
seazer
11/24/2007 10:40 pm
Thanx for that Equator! As shaz mentioned before you got it goin on with the sweeps. Tab might just push me and others towards looking into that technique more. :D
# 14
Superhuman
Superhuman
11/26/2007 3:21 pm
Bumping this thread back up and saying thanks to everyone for the rep points - Equator, good idea posting the sweep tabs. Think I'll do the same with some of the more interesting sections of my piece.
Nearly finished, got an hour to play and record last night and about 20 minutes last week - came up with some interesting little patterns that I haven't played before, a bit different to what I usually do. Still have one part to left to do.
Frustrating month for me, composed the whole piece in my head ages ago but haven't been able to pick up my axe for much more than an hour yet! I'll definitly have it in before the end of the month though... bear with me!
# 15
maestro shaz
maestro shaz
11/27/2007 11:15 am
Hey there guys...

I've been on here for a while now, and I still dont know anything about these REP points u all talkin about.

Never knew it existed.... So how does it work??
[FONT=Verdana]
MuSiC RoCkZz
[/FONT]
My Music
# 16
FingerSpasm
FingerSpasm
11/28/2007 3:03 am
So far....... Nothing! Everything I have tried sounds like muddled up distorted crap! This is the most complex track I have tried to play to so far. I think most of it is my skill level and the rest is my lack of being able to properly mix the guitar parts. The heavy guitar rhythm seems to be causing me problems with the mix. The only way it sounds good is to totally drown out the rhythm guitar and basically just have the beat coming through in the background. Oh well I will listen to what everyone else has done and hopefully learn from it. :o
# 17
Superhuman
Superhuman
11/28/2007 10:38 am
Hey FingerSpasm, try a different approach - play with a tone that you like (helps you to play better) and forget about how it sits in the mix. Record the solo, THEN tweak it to sit in the mix using EQ and dynamics.

I use a really great dynamics VST called Cyanide that you can download for free:
http://www.kvraudio.com/get/1374.html

I use the generic EQ in Cubase SX3 but you should be able to find a load of free VST's online that could help. You can also add serious punch to solos using compression...
Here are some more excellent free plugins -
http://www.kjaerhusaudio.com/classic-series.php

Hope that helps!
# 18
FingerSpasm
FingerSpasm
11/28/2007 12:09 pm
Originally Posted by: SuperhumanHey FingerSpasm, try a different approach - play with a tone that you like (helps you to play better) and forget about how it sits in the mix. Record the solo, THEN tweak it to sit in the mix using EQ and dynamics.

I use a really great dynamics VST called Cyanide that you can download for free:
http://www.kvraudio.com/get/1374.html

I use the generic EQ in Cubase SX3 but you should be able to find a load of free VST's online that could help. You can also add serious punch to solos using compression...
Here are some more excellent free plugins -
http://www.kjaerhusaudio.com/classic-series.php

Hope that helps!

I will check it out. I had read that compression can help but have not really tried to apply it yet. I think am going to need to do some reading and start learning the science of mixing and recording. I just have a hard time doing anything with my free time other than practicing my actual guitar playing. But it would probably be a good idea at this point to learn more about recording. Plus I am using an old program. Cool edit pro 2.0 I know that you have recommended Reaper and I have looked into it and it looks pretty good so maybe I will give that a try also. This laptop is doing pretty good so far. But I have my eyes on an Apple Pro. I know that would help things out. But its just the 5 to 6 grand that I will have to spend that has me second guessing that decision. Anyways thanks for the input. Who knows maybe I will get an entry in. If not I will keep after it until I get something together should be a good learning experience and thats what this is really all about. Thats what I keep telling myself anyway when I start to get the urge to toss my guitar out the window and start playing piano. :rolleyes:
# 19
Superhuman
Superhuman
12/01/2007 1:52 am
Just need one more day, don't close the thread down yet!
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.