GT Solo Assignment November 07

Superhuman
Superhuman
11/09/2007 10:26 am
Hope I'm not taking liberties posting directly, Julian is very busy at the moment and couldn't get a track together in time so I said I would help out.

I'll leave the theory explanation to those with more understanding than me (maybe Equator or Julian could help :p ).
Here are the important bits:
Bpm 100 (means players at all levels can play - from 100 to 200 bpm runs)
Standard tuning off the E string.
Will sync up directly in any sequencer without having to nudge the file, just drop it in at the beginning of a fresh track and it's ready to go.

There are a couple of different riffs and tempo changes so it should help to keep the solo interesting.

Hope you like metal!!!! :D
On Sounclick (track title GT November)
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=285164

Or on mp3unsigned (track title Phantasm)
http://www.mp3unsigned.com/showmp3.asp?mp3id=50357

Notes about the track: this is a once off mix down... I can't EQ it again or fix the dodgy bass line - unfortunately I wiped the original folder by mistake so this is as good as I can get it.
# 1
seazer
seazer
11/09/2007 1:26 pm
Thanks for your effort "Super" much appreciated.Metal ahy? wHoHaaaa I just bought an Ibanez 570 off evil Bay should come in handy this month.About that 200 bpm Ha LoL maybe string 5 or six notes together :rolleyes: I might have to visit "Lights" academy of stress this month :confused: Happy shreddin

P.S The track is Kickass, well done
# 2
Spedzar
Spedzar
11/10/2007 1:29 am
Hey Dave,

I've tried downloading the November track off soundclick but it keeps taking me to a page where I have to join. Is there anywhere else you can post this so I can just get in on my hard drive without having to reincarnate on another site?

By the way that's a killer track. My fingers are tingling this morning with dark scaly calluses and sweep arpeggios are definitely all the rage. Hope I can get it together...
Spedzar - "the sound of one hand tapping"...
# 3
Spedzar
Spedzar
11/10/2007 8:18 am
OK, so I somehow figured out how to get this audio - no woreez Dave... I ended up recording it through my headphones back into the desk and into Logic.

So here's my effort - first cab off the rank it seems. Please don't comment on the noise. My PC and audio gear are near fluro lights an all sorts of electronic interference and yes, perhaps some of my leads are dodgy.

I enjoyed the challenge of this track... Dave you seem to have a calling with this type of music. Not something I'd probably ever find myself doing live but it's heaps of fun just the same. I was glued to the workstation for a few hours today and what have is very rough but I have resigned myself to not being too "anal" about these assignments. I take them as being an exploration of my personality as a guitarist and I'm happy doing one or two takes with the backing track to find some ideas. Obviously you could go on forever with this stuff...

So here it is. A little more "structured" than last months and with few bum notes but as I said I not going to polish this stuff too much (it would take a little too long to get everything "correct")

... Enjoy listening shred heads and I can't wait to hear everyone going off on this one:

Shredvember
# 4
Superhuman
Superhuman
11/10/2007 9:27 am
Hey dude, that was awesome for such a quick turn around. You should have no problem downloading directly from soundclick without being a member.... I've just added another address as a mirror which you should able to use either (see the orignal post for link to mp3unsigned). If that doesnt work, pm me your email address and I will send you the track. You should definitly drop a higher quality backing in behind that shredding, it would lift everything - very impressive take!

I'm not going to listen to anyone elses track until I've got my own finished, Spedzar's take is already having an influence on me!
# 5
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
11/10/2007 11:11 pm
Well I don't feel threatened by the track.. I just have to do what I always do.. take my time and work it all out. Sure it sounds fast but it's not really.. and nor does the solo have to even be a shredding solo. I might have to pull out my new finger-tapping tricks for this one.. so that will give me some good practise etc

I have an idea for a backing track, I just don't know enough about my sequencer and drumloops to do it..

EDIT: I found that a B Locrian worked well for me. However, I could easily be wrong.. the main chord is E5 by the sound of it.. but the key is C Major.. I'm probably wrong.. :)

UPDATE: Yep.. I was wrong.. It's obviously E Major key, just my small brain went straight to C Major and because all the notes sounded ok, I naturally assumed it was C Major.. and then when I played the B Locrian and it too sounded ok, I was sure it was C Major. I have since found it works just as well in E Major.. so which is it C or E? I can't tell now.. I am confused.. :)
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 6
equator
equator
11/11/2007 7:33 pm
I just listened to the backing track.
Seems to me like Superhuman is going back and forth between the E Phrygian Major and the E Phrygian Minor. Giving the track a flamenco feel .
Very nice backing BTW.
Someday I`ll play like in my dreams.

equator's Music Page.

# 7
maestro shaz
maestro shaz
11/12/2007 8:40 am
I quickly tried out this track before I left. I will come back and redo do it when I get back from Malaysia...

This song changes Key, you can use the Spanish Phrygian mode for the open and ending parts, and a natural minor or harmonic minor, or even pentatonic as I did. Even E mixolydian works well for some parts.

But there are some places too be aware of what chords are being played like the part where there is E major, F major etc.......

Anyways check out my first take, and BTW its all just improv and messy and sloppy... will redo it

Shaz

GT NOV
[FONT=Verdana]
MuSiC RoCkZz
[/FONT]
My Music
# 8
maestro shaz
maestro shaz
11/12/2007 8:42 am
Hey just realised, they changed soundclick....

Nice
[FONT=Verdana]
MuSiC RoCkZz
[/FONT]
My Music
# 9
Superhuman
Superhuman
11/12/2007 10:48 am
Thanks for explaining the theory guys - it's all Greek to me (and no, I can't speak the language!). One little bit of advice to the newer players - don't worry about playing fast - think melody and structure. Sometimes a slow melody over a heavy backing can sound really cool.
Looking forward to hearing everyone's take!
Shaz, can't wait to hear yours but I'm not going to listen to anything else until I've recorded my own take - all I need is a night where the wife goes to bed early and the babies actually sleep! Don't want to be influenced by anyone else’s ideas, I only listened to Spedzar's take once and I can remember almost all of the notes and runs - so I'm not being rude, will check it when I'm done;-)
# 10
maestro shaz
maestro shaz
11/13/2007 4:21 am
Totally understand Dave...

Can't wait to hear yours too...

I understand that what u said about waiting for the wife to sleep...

It's just the same for me too :p

And also, she resigned from work, and all she does is play card games on my laptop, so I gotta wait for her to sleep, which is like 1-2am after midnight haha....
[FONT=Verdana]
MuSiC RoCkZz
[/FONT]
My Music
# 11
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
11/13/2007 10:27 am
Hrmmm I'm on to something new with my playing right now.. I'm going to document my music writing a little more this time, depending on how it all goes I may or may not have time for this month's solo.. but either way, you'll be hearing something new from me this month. I'm eager to learn how to put in a decent drum loop and also some midi. I have the keyboard I just hardly ever use it because it's annoying to setup each time.

I'm thinking of redoing last month's solo too after this thing.. and then starting to slowly create an album of everything as I get more and more ideas. The thing is.. the style of my playing has leaped enormously from the challenge of having something done by the end of the month. I now even hold the pick completely differently than I used to for about the last 15 and half years... but I'm on to something and I really want to get this down and sequenced now. And then with that knowledge, re-record the October solo..
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 12
Spedzar
Spedzar
11/13/2007 10:32 am
Shaz and Dave you dudes are classics!!! My girl's ex used to be on his PC 24/7 playing bloody card games and doing other stuff. She's a technophobe however so now I'm possibly on the back foot. She now waits for me to go to get off the computer and go to sleep (with her, God love her precious soul). Our lives are all delicately in the balance then...
# 13
Superhuman
Superhuman
11/13/2007 12:35 pm
"Behind every great shredder is a greater woman" (controling limited shred time that is!) :p
# 14
Spedzar
Spedzar
11/14/2007 10:06 am
Haha how true... And I suppose that could be why shredders started to play so many more notes - gotta fit more of them in before the chores...

Anyway Superhuman I fixed the backing from my original track - replaced the old with the new - so thanks for the MP3 link. Look forward to hearing a few more (anyone out there?).
# 15
equator
equator
11/14/2007 10:08 pm
Hey guys. Here is my take.
I played the E Phrygian Major and the E Phrygian. I also included a Flamenco cliché and a Classical lick. :)

Gear: Fender Stratocaster > Guitar Port > Laptop.
P.S. Download the MP3 if you can., because the Soundclick player is horrible.

equator

equator's Music Page.

# 16
maestro shaz
maestro shaz
11/17/2007 4:19 am
I've just updated my take...

The end part in the phrygian mode, i like did 2 takes and wasn't sure which one to use, so i used both of them, one on the far left and hard right haha...

And it seemed to work ok i reckon....

Uploaded onto myspace this time....

GT Nov 07
[FONT=Verdana]
MuSiC RoCkZz
[/FONT]
My Music
# 17
equator
equator
11/19/2007 6:51 pm
Hey guys, great entries so far.
Spedzar.- Loved your playing man. Good shred. :cool:

Maestro shaz.- That was sick dude. I liked your second take better, very melodic and impressively fast at the same time. :cool:

Superhuman.- Thanks for providing us with an awesome BT this month. I gave you good rep points for that. :)

Speaking of rep points, somebody gave bad rep points, maybe it was a mistake because the comments have good connotations. Could someone give me good points to make up for the bad?
Anyway, I just wanted to bring this thread back to your attention and encourage everybody to participate.

equator's Music Page.

# 18
Sasuke199
Sasuke199
11/20/2007 1:30 am
wow... Maestro Shaz.... That solo was mindblowing. I loved your pentatonic take on the BT. It was sort of a Slash and Malmsteen solo combined. Two of my favorite guitarist's styles combined. Fantastic.... :D
# 19
seazer
seazer
11/20/2007 3:09 am
Geez this months track bought out the Big Guns really great work sped,shaz,and Equator.I've downloaded all tracks and have been listening they get better with every play Top stuff. :cool:
superhumans bt on its own is a worthy entry it is so tight and rythmically sound I dont want to touch it :eek:
I will get somthing done soon I have put all my efforts into this new guitar and I dont know, maybe expected to much but I had disastrous few weeks with gettin this guitar and then bad pain in riffing hand from going to flat radus neck on Ibanez from leaving strat neck I should've eased into it.So lesson there as well.

will catch ya soon... PS. did'nt get ya? Equator.about bad rep points,what did you mean? :confused:
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.