The Monkees

R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
07/14/2007 2:28 am
Some say they deserve it, some say they're just posers. What do you think?
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"Bust a nut!" - Dimebag
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Einstein
[/FONT]
# 1
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
07/14/2007 2:30 am
Darn. Blasted false advertisement. There's no poll here! :eek:
"Gypsy flies from coast to coast, knowing many loving none." -Allmans

SoundClick Page

Myspace Page (Add Me) (I'm better than you... Or am I :eek: )
# 2
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
07/14/2007 2:31 am
Don't be so hasty young one! :)
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"Bust a nut!" - Dimebag
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Einstein
[/FONT]
# 3
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
07/14/2007 2:33 am
Alright now I'm really confused. Said there was a poll, but I didn't see one. Then I responded and commented on the lack of a poll. Then I went to the forum menu and saw no poll sign on the thread. So then I deleted my post, and now it turns out that there really is a poll!!! :eek: I'm all over the place tonight. :cool:

SoundClick Page

# 4
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
07/14/2007 2:39 am
Alright. I voted yes, just cuz of I'm a believer. Honestly, the Hall of Fame is phenominal, but due to the horrid inductees of last year (aside from Van Halen) I am beginning to question the direction it's heading in. If I remember correctly, didn't R.E.M get in? I mean, great band and all but either its just me, or theres for 1: 50 other bands that deserve it more and 2: Seems like their currently just tossing in who ever they feel like. Van Halen most definitely deserved it, but R.E.M sitting aside Hendrix in the hall of fame... come on. I was there just last year, and I would have to say it was an incredible experience, and I would hate for the greatness to be watered down with R.E.M-ness. :(

SoundClick Page

# 5
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
07/14/2007 2:41 am
Was it you that stated its dumb?!

SoundClick Page

# 6
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/14/2007 3:30 am
I grew up watching Monkees reruns. I got the boxed DVDs of their TV shows & now I watch them with my 4-year old son. We LOVE the Monkees.

The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame probably serves some purpose. But, I have no idea what that is, and even less interest.

Occassionally I hear people (usually quasi-musicians) complaining about how the Monkees were a "contrived, fabricated, commercialized, etc. product". I try to avoid them on my way home to dance in the living room to "I'm a Believer" and "Mary, Mary", with my kid. It's fun. :)

The Monkees were not great musicians. But neither were any of the other bands in the 60's ("authentic" or not :rolleyes: ). At least the Monkees were a lot of fun to watch and listen to, though.
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 7
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
07/14/2007 3:38 am
Originally Posted by: CSchlegelThe Rock & Roll Hall of Fame probably serves some purpose. But, I have no idea what that is, and even less interest.

Any person that plays music and listens to music owes it to themselves to make a trip out of it and go there. It's the greatest place I've ever been to. I spent 2 full days there when I went. It was an awesome and inspiring experience. Its a place where all the greatest an most talented (in different ways) artists can be put into one place where their accomplishments can be viewed by others. It's hard to explain, but I could honestly not imagine not having one around today. Not something I can visit every year, but I surely would if I had the chance. :rolleyes:

SoundClick Page

# 8
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
07/14/2007 4:32 am
The Monkees were a 'manufactured' band. Michael Nesmith was the only 'real' musician.

Do I care? I enjoyed the music, even though it was not cool to admit it. I still enjoy the music.

Hall of Fame? Face it, bro, you gotta know that when the time comes, posers like Limp Bizcut are in like dirty shirts on laundry day.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 9
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
07/14/2007 4:56 am
Originally Posted by: LordathestringsHall of Fame? Face it, bro, you gotta know that when the time comes, posers like Limp Bizcut are in like dirty shirts on laundry day.

So sad but yet so true. I hope I'm not living the day that happens. :(

SoundClick Page

# 10
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
07/14/2007 5:32 am
Originally Posted by: WeslabaAny person that plays music and listens to music owes it to themselves to make a trip out of it and go there.[/quote]

I can't see any value I would personally get visiting such a place. Any inspiration I get from rock & roll artists would be from listening to their music. I am not one for "awards" and "honors" anyway, though.

The concept of a "rock hall of fame" also seems especially strange. I remember seeing Van Halen on their 1984 tour as a kid. Wow! Talk about over the top! Then last year or so one of my old friends told me VH w/ DLR was being honored or given some award or something. Wasn't part of the point (if not most of the point) behind "rock and roll" to be rebellious and against any sort of authority & "crusty old establishments", etc.?

Now they have a grandiose building with pomp and ceremony in which to celebrate their anti-establishment-ism. Hey, if that's want someone wants, by all means, build it and have a blast. I am not against it. I just thought it sounded incongruous.
Originally Posted by: WeslabaIt's the greatest place I've ever been to. I spent 2 full days there when I went. It was an awesome and inspiring experience.

Good deal for you! Sounds like it's your sort of place, then.
[QUOTE=Weslaba]It's hard to explain ...

On the contrary, I think you explained your personal passion for it quite well. :) Good thing it does exist for you and others that enjoy it.
Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory
# 11
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
07/14/2007 1:35 pm
Very good point, but it's really not all about the awards there. It's more or less to view memorabelia of music greats. They have movie rooms showing old concerts and stuff (Concert for Bangladesh) Other than being inducted, there's really no other award involved. Theres a soundtrack of the indctees music playing constantly while your in there. Everything is about the music, and/or the lives of the people who gave us this music. And come on, how many times do you get to see Jerry Garcia's guitars up close, or the recording gear from the studio Hendrix recorded in, or even MJ's magic loafers! :eek: I agree with you 100% about the awards thing, and how it seems a bit off, but the award is just something that comes with it. They are getting the award basically to tell them that we respect them as artists, and have greatly appreciatd their existence. Right now, yes, it does seem really current these days, but down the road, many of the people would very easiyly be forgotten. I like to think of it as a bulding of music appreciation. They don't put the awards on display do they? Of course not, becauseeverywhere you go its all about the music and the people behind the music. And I really don't want to sound like I'm disagreeing with you, but people have their motives and opinions. :rolleyes:

SoundClick Page

# 12
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
07/14/2007 10:03 pm
It's a museum, not a trophy display.
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 13
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
07/15/2007 1:41 am
Wow, you basically just summed up my whole paragraph into about 10 words. :o

SoundClick Page

# 14
dvenetian
dvenetian
07/15/2007 2:57 am
They deserve all the recognition and reward from their personal
accomplishments.
Regardless of what anyone thinks, they are all very talented in one form or another to have done what millions of others only dream of.
Success comes from a combination of gifts; Personality, looks, charactor, etc...........
Hendrix was talented in more ways than guitar. His voice was unique as were his expressions, from clothing to playing a guitar upside down.
Many were fascinated that a Black Man even liked his style of music, let alone creating it.
# 15
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
07/15/2007 7:53 am
Originally Posted by: dvenetianMany were fascinated that a Black Man even liked his style of music, let alone creating it.

Many were fascinated that a Black Man liked and played Blues?
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

# 16
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
07/15/2007 11:11 am
Originally Posted by: WeslabaAny person that plays music and listens to music owes it to themselves to make a trip out of it and go there. It's the greatest place I've ever been to. I spent 2 full days there when I went. It was an awesome and inspiring experience. Its a place where all the greatest an most talented (in different ways) artists can be put into one place where their accomplishments can be viewed by others. It's hard to explain, but I could honestly not imagine not having one around today. Not something I can visit every year, but I surely would if I had the chance. :rolleyes:

I agree with you. I have a very special hatred for the city of Cleveland (I'm from Pittsburgh - it's a very natural rivalry) but I had a blast at the R&R Hall of Fame. It was cool just to see the guitars, the clothes, the lyric sheets...etc. Three things that stick in my mind about that day; one was seeing some handwritten notes from Hunter S. Thompson re: Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas (see: my screen name!), a suit worn by Muddy Waters (A large man) and a suit worn by Mick Jagger (very, very small man).

I think if you're a fan of the genre, it's worth it to visit. Like Mr. Shlegel, I could care less how wins what award, it's just fun to be see it. Like going to the NFL Hall of Fame. There are people in there I don't agree should be and others not who should. But it's still fun.

And I liked the Monkees. Watched their show every week growing up!
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 17
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
07/15/2007 3:49 pm
Originally Posted by: RaskolnikovMany were fascinated that a Black Man liked and played Blues?

Well, kind of the same thing, but as I read in some magazine... Clapton was interviewed (numerous times as the magazine was dedicated 100% to him) and he talked about Hendrix a little bit. It was noted that Hendrix was always a little ashamed of his music as he thought he was selling out. He was really strictly a blues guy and his music seemed way over the top and "poppy" for his liking. I found that quite interesting as pop has never crossed my mind when listening to his music (until now that is) :rolleyes:

SoundClick Page

# 18
dvenetian
dvenetian
07/18/2007 2:19 am
Originally Posted by: RaskolnikovMany were fascinated that a Black Man liked and played Blues?

Probably more at the fact by how he fused his inspiration of Blues with new ideas in feedback and effects. His eclectic genre was addressed from Hard Rock, Blues-Rock, Blues, Psychedelic Soul and Acid Rock; Sometimes all in one song played live, depending on the circumstance (at times out of tune).
In 1967, He even toured with The Monkeys. Opppps............ He didn't tour very long as the opening act..............
# 19

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.