what pedal to get???

longliverock83
longliverock83
07/10/2007 6:18 pm
hey im planning to get a pedal what should i get??
Rock & Roll will never die.
# 1
ren
ren
07/10/2007 6:22 pm
depends what you want... :p

I'd suggest an Ibanez Tube Screamer...

Or maybe something like a Digitech RP80... multi effects / much cheapness for what it is. Zoom make some cheaper multi-effects... they're not great, but if you're starting out and on a budget you want o be able to play with a rannge of sounds, not just one to switch on or off....

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 2
longliverock83
longliverock83
07/10/2007 6:29 pm
yeah i was thinking on a multi effects pedal or a wah...but the dude at the store wouldent sell me a wah or any other pedal, he said my '92 fender amp didnt need it so im buyin' the pedal at a different store :D
# 3
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
07/10/2007 6:43 pm
What exactly is the model of your amp?

My favorite effects pedal would be a chorus pedal. I use the Boss CH-1 to be specific. A cheap multi-effects pedal might help you decide what effects you will actually use and which ones you won't use. When I first got into effects, I started out with a Digitech RP100 then moved to the RP2000, then went with a POD Pro, and then a Boss ME-50, and then went to using a good tube amp and individual pedals, and am much much happier now.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 4
longliverock83
longliverock83
07/10/2007 7:04 pm
what?? model?? is the model number or what? can i look it up on the internet? or can i find it on the amp itself??
# 5
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
07/10/2007 7:19 pm
It should say what it's model is, either on the front faceplate or somewhere on the back. Are the controls on the front of the amp, or on top of the amp towards the back?

Sorry if I'm confusing you... just trying to get an idea of exactly what amp you have.

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 6
longliverock83
longliverock83
07/10/2007 7:28 pm
now i feel dumb. on the front it says deluxe 85 AND on the back it says model: deluxe 85. so its a 1992 200 watt Deluxe 85 Fender amp if that helps :D
# 7
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
07/10/2007 7:34 pm
Originally Posted by: longliverock83now i feel dumb. on the front it says deluxe 85 AND on the back it says model: deluxe 85. so its a 1992 200 watt Deluxe 85 Fender amp if that helps :D

Actually, it puts out 65 watts to the speaker. The 200 watts is what it draws from the power outlet you plug into, and it is a solid state amp.

With all the tone shaping it's capable of, you should be able to get a lot of different cool tones out of it. I can't understand why the salesman told you that about the pedals though. :confused:

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 8
Andrew Sa
Andrew Sa
07/10/2007 10:28 pm
I'm with Eric.
I actually started witha few mean and nasty individual pedals (stomp boxes), I then got a boss Me50 when I started gigging with my first proper band, and then a Pod Xt live. I have since sold all multi-effects and am playing single effects boxes through a tube amp and have never been happier.

I dont know if you want to start with a multi-effects unit...it could be the right place for you.
Multi-effects didn't work with me, or maybe me with them, but they do for many many many other players. Even some pros, like Mikael Akerfeldt (from opeth) use multi-effects units (he uses a Boss Gt-6).

The point is that you have to try lots of things and see what works.
Personally, I think you have to try multi-effects at some stage, to see how they work with you...They could be the greatest thing in the world.
[FONT=Century Gothic]Hope is when we feel the pain that makes us try again[/FONT]
# 9
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
07/10/2007 11:06 pm
Originally Posted by: Andrew SaI'm with Eric.
I actually started witha few mean and nasty individual pedals (stomp boxes), I then got a boss Me50 when I started gigging with my first proper band, and then a Pod Xt live. I have since sold all multi-effects and am playing single effects boxes through a tube amp and have never been happier.

I dont know if you want to start with a multi-effects unit...it could be the right place for you.
Multi-effects didn't work with me, or maybe me with them, but they do for many many many other players. Even some pros, like Mikael Akerfeldt (from opeth) use multi-effects units (he uses a Boss Gt-6).

The point is that you have to try lots of things and see what works.
Personally, I think you have to try multi-effects at some stage, to see how they work with you...They could be the greatest thing in the world.

Ya, I myself would never be caught dead w/ a multi effects pedal, just my preference. It would have definitely been an alright start for me, but considering I already new the pedals I was loooking to obtain, it was unnecessary. I think this applies to just about everyone when I say that you should look into a nice overdrive or distortion, whatever your style would need, and then anything else from then on is a toy in my mind. Cuz when you think about it, other than the crazy pedals, you're really most likely going to be wanting something in the ballpark of flange/chorus/phase, delay, wah, and overdrive/distortion. So if this applies, then the 274 settings on your multi effects unit aren't going to be too helpful. As a matter of fact, my favorite guitarist, thou who shall not be named, uses... wait I can't remember the name of all of his pedals... oh yeah! He has a Fender platinum cable, which... well... connects his guitar to his amp. :rolleyes: This just goes to show that the millions of effects can be fun, but personally I would keep it pretty basic. Well, I've rambled on for so long now that I can't even remember the topic. Oh yeah... Go with individual pedals, you'll thank yourself later. Although if you felt strongly about investing in a PODxt I wouldn't say not to. I guess its just the miserable, pitiful looking (and sounding mind you) Digitech thing my friend owns. Ewwwwww... :mad:
"Gypsy flies from coast to coast, knowing many loving none." -Allmans

SoundClick Page

Myspace Page (Add Me) (I'm better than you... Or am I :eek: )
# 10
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
07/10/2007 11:39 pm
I use my Vox multi for recording on the puter only...multi-effects ruin a tube amp IMO...I use the effects loop on my amp with analog pedals.
"Dammit Jim!! I'm a guitarist not a roadie...so haul my gear"
# 11
ren
ren
07/11/2007 12:25 am
Originally Posted by: z0s0_jpI use my Vox multi for recording on the puter only...multi-effects ruin a tube amp IMO...I use the effects loop on my amp with analog pedals.

Does depend how you use it I think. I've used mine in the effects loop with the pre-amp stage switched off, so all I got was the effects, no amp emulation. It gives me what I need. I used to use a PODxt Live for recording and on stage, and still have it as a backup in case of pedalboard trouble....

Yeah, it does take away some of the warmth of the tubes I guess but with a bit of EQ I can get the POD to sound the same as my main rig (at least to an audience - maybe not to people who 'know'). Not bad when you think the POD cost less than a 10th of the signal chain I have in its place. Way more versatile too - when I play for other people and have to dial in their 'sound', I can do it faster with a POD patch than I can whirl all the dials on pedals to set 'em up.

Love 'em or hate 'em, for someone new to effects, having the lot in one box has got to be good... right?

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 12
longliverock83
longliverock83
07/24/2007 9:20 pm
hey just to let you guyz know i went back to the dude who sold me the amp and bought an Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah 75 bucks used it sounds great. It has incredible range and...wow I cant describe it. great wah awesome plus it looks sweet! :D
# 13
light487
Forum Administrator
light487
Forum Administrator
07/25/2007 9:48 am
Zoom G1X. Great price, heaps of effects to play with. I just recently upgraded from my ancient BOSS ME-5 and I love it. In Australian dollars (AUD is buying about 80 US cents at the moment I think) it cost me $169.00, with most single effect pedals hanging around the $100.00 to $150.00 price point; this makes the G1X an absolute steal at this price.

Two words of caution before buying any effects.

1. Effects do not make you play better. :) Obvious yes.. but it's true that some beginners think that if only they had the right effect, they could play that certain song. First you need to be able to play it, then add the effects later.

2. Try before you buy!!!!!!! No matter how many people say it is great.. music is an art-form and only the player can be the real judge on how it sounds.

Check out the Zoom G1X though..
light487
Guitar Tricks Moderator

GuitarTricks
Daily Light Blog
# 14

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.