View post (what pedal to get???)

View thread

Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
07/10/2007 11:06 pm
Originally Posted by: Andrew SaI'm with Eric.
I actually started witha few mean and nasty individual pedals (stomp boxes), I then got a boss Me50 when I started gigging with my first proper band, and then a Pod Xt live. I have since sold all multi-effects and am playing single effects boxes through a tube amp and have never been happier.

I dont know if you want to start with a multi-effects unit...it could be the right place for you.
Multi-effects didn't work with me, or maybe me with them, but they do for many many many other players. Even some pros, like Mikael Akerfeldt (from opeth) use multi-effects units (he uses a Boss Gt-6).

The point is that you have to try lots of things and see what works.
Personally, I think you have to try multi-effects at some stage, to see how they work with you...They could be the greatest thing in the world.

Ya, I myself would never be caught dead w/ a multi effects pedal, just my preference. It would have definitely been an alright start for me, but considering I already new the pedals I was loooking to obtain, it was unnecessary. I think this applies to just about everyone when I say that you should look into a nice overdrive or distortion, whatever your style would need, and then anything else from then on is a toy in my mind. Cuz when you think about it, other than the crazy pedals, you're really most likely going to be wanting something in the ballpark of flange/chorus/phase, delay, wah, and overdrive/distortion. So if this applies, then the 274 settings on your multi effects unit aren't going to be too helpful. As a matter of fact, my favorite guitarist, thou who shall not be named, uses... wait I can't remember the name of all of his pedals... oh yeah! He has a Fender platinum cable, which... well... connects his guitar to his amp. :rolleyes: This just goes to show that the millions of effects can be fun, but personally I would keep it pretty basic. Well, I've rambled on for so long now that I can't even remember the topic. Oh yeah... Go with individual pedals, you'll thank yourself later. Although if you felt strongly about investing in a PODxt I wouldn't say not to. I guess its just the miserable, pitiful looking (and sounding mind you) Digitech thing my friend owns. Ewwwwww... :mad:
"Gypsy flies from coast to coast, knowing many loving none." -Allmans

SoundClick Page

Myspace Page (Add Me) (I'm better than you... Or am I :eek: )