I need new music... bad

Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
06/17/2007 10:39 pm
A lot of bands I have already heard, and really like, and some are really familiar. Thanks a lot. I'll be sure to check a lot of them out. Hunter, a lot of those seemed to be like reall old school blues. I really appreciate the guys who brought blues into existance, but I just can't get myself to listen to it for very long. Although if I remember correctly, I recall enjoying Los Lobos. And Susan Tedeschi and Derek Trucks live wasn't half bad. :D
"Gypsy flies from coast to coast, knowing many loving none." -Allmans

SoundClick Page

Myspace Page (Add Me) (I'm better than you... Or am I :eek: )
# 1
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
06/17/2007 11:16 pm
Originally Posted by: WeslabaA lot of bands I have already heard, and really like, and some are really familiar. Thanks a lot. I'll be sure to check a lot of them out. Hunter, a lot of those seemed to be like reall old school blues. I really appreciate the guys who brought blues into existance, but I just can't get myself to listen to it for very long. Although if I remember correctly, I recall enjoying Los Lobos. And Susan Tedeschi and Derek Trucks live wasn't half bad. :D

You're right. A lot of them are old school blues players and I know what you mean, it can be tough to listen to for any length of time. I find them really interesting but then I have pretty weird tastes.
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 2
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
06/18/2007 1:32 am
Well, I can see how people would enjoy listening to em, but this is how I see it... (brace youself) they are the reason that we have the blues, and for that matter, just about every other genre there is today, even emo. They influenced the greatest guitarists of the past and present, such as hendrix, SRV, and many others. Although, I feel that if SRV was influenced by some old school blues player, but added his own flare to the old school blues, does it not seem logical to focus on SRV's accomplishments? He took it to a whole other level, and in order for myself or any other guitarist of this generation to raise the bar higher, starting back with old school blues might just get us back to where SRV ended up. :rolleyes: I always feel this way when watching interviews. I've seen Derek Trucks get interviewed a few times, and he always talks a little about his influences, like Elmore James, and a bunch of others. I always then try and listen to them to further indulge in what Derek has, but then realize that if I love the way Derek plays, then why bother too much with who he likes, and instead focus on Derek's playing which would indirectly bring out the old school influences anyways. :rolleyes: Kind of doesn't relate to anything in this thread, but thought I'd just throw that out there. It's something I think about often, so I just thought I'd finally express it.

SoundClick Page

# 3
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
R. Shackleferd
Gulf Coaster
06/18/2007 2:10 am
I guess I haven't ever thought about it to that depth, but I pretty much agree. I don't like most of my favorite players' influences. Slayer for instance...they loved early punk. And Billy Gibbons (a renowned blues historian/connoisseur himself) goes to the roots of the blues all the way to Africa with their tribal music.
Then again, you might listen to anything "old school" and still take it to your own next level, regardless of another's previous results.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"Bust a nut!" - Dimebag
"Imagination is more important than knowledge." - Einstein
[/FONT]
# 4
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
06/18/2007 2:12 am
This is true. :rolleyes:

SoundClick Page

# 5
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
06/18/2007 9:33 am
Originally Posted by: WeslabaWell, I can see how people would enjoy listening to em, but this is how I see it... (brace youself) they are the reason that we have the blues, and for that matter, just about every other genre there is today, even emo. They influenced the greatest guitarists of the past and present, such as hendrix, SRV, and many others. Although, I feel that if SRV was influenced by some old school blues player, but added his own flare to the old school blues, does it not seem logical to focus on SRV's accomplishments? He took it to a whole other level, and in order for myself or any other guitarist of this generation to raise the bar higher, starting back with old school blues might just get us back to where SRV ended up. :rolleyes: I always feel this way when watching interviews. I've seen Derek Trucks get interviewed a few times, and he always talks a little about his influences, like Elmore James, and a bunch of others. I always then try and listen to them to further indulge in what Derek has, but then realize that if I love the way Derek plays, then why bother too much with who he likes, and instead focus on Derek's playing which would indirectly bring out the old school influences anyways. :rolleyes: Kind of doesn't relate to anything in this thread, but thought I'd just throw that out there. It's something I think about often, so I just thought I'd finally express it.

Well sure. I can understand what you're saying and believe me, I don't listen to old school blues exclusively. I try to have a wide open view of music as well as literature, film, art...etc. I brought up the old blues players because it's a dying form and if those of us, well those of you, who play guitar well, aren't familiar with it, it will eventually fade from our musical heritage as the last of the old players pass on.

I am a huge SRV fan and I agree, we should be trying to raise the bar on his accomplishments just like the metal and prog guys try to out-do what Satch and Vai and Petrucci do. But the other night, I saw Bonnamossa in Pgh. He did a version of Charlie Patton's 'How high the water' (originally recorded in 1929) that lit the place up!

I just recommend that people become familiar with what got us here before it fades away. Just a thought.

Okay. I'll shut up now.
# 6
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
06/18/2007 12:04 pm
Originally Posted by: R. ShackleferdI guess I haven't ever thought about it to that depth, but I pretty much agree. I don't like most of my favorite players' influences. Slayer for instance...they loved early punk. And Billy Gibbons (a renowned blues historian/connoisseur himself) goes to the roots of the blues all the way to Africa with their tribal music.
Then again, you might listen to anything "old school" and still take it to your own next level, regardless of another's previous results.

Yep. I agree. When I first expressed an interest in writing, a friend of mine who is well on his way to becoming a very well respected writer, told me that in order to learn to write well, you have to read. Read the classics. Read the great writers. Become familiar with what made them great. How they turned a phrase. How they described physical and emotional characteristics of a person...etc. Read them, learn from them and then follow your own path.

I think that's true when it comes to music too. You learn from the greats. That doesn't mean you parrot them but you learn from them and then set about trying to become someone that others will want to learn from in the future.
# 7
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
06/18/2007 4:18 pm
Originally Posted by: hunter60I just recommend that people become familiar with what got us here before it fades away. Just a thought.

Ya, I completely agree with that. I myself, have listened to a bit of it, and I guess that influenced my standpoint. I also don't think people shouldn't listen to it exclusively, because that'd just be dumb. If they want to, why not. I myself just get turned off because of the sound quality of the real old ones. I really don't even know what got me started on my little rant anyways, because quite frankly, it didn't really fit with the topic. Anyways, It's just my thought on it. Obviously a guy like Joe Bonamassa can turn anything into a master piece, but I sometimes get stressed out trying to listen to every influence of every guitarist I like, and it helps calm the nerves to just stick with that one artist and maybe one of his favorites. I always feel like I'm missing out by not hearing something, which shouldn't be the case at all, but it happens. Kinda like that guilty feeling when you don't practice or even play one day, and remember that Joe Bonamassa plays 360 days a year. :eek:

SoundClick Page

# 8
ACID Guitar
ACID Guitar
06/30/2007 7:52 pm
Now, dunno if this is ur style but, try this: AC/DC (v rocky), Metalica (sum bits r gd), Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple ( maybe..)

Thinking calmer, er... Bob Dylan??? Neil Young???
[FONT=Impact]ACID Guitar[/FONT]
# 9
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
06/30/2007 11:38 pm
I think I got all of those covered. Thanks though. And I'm kinda looking into more jazz fusion/ blues rock anyhow.

SoundClick Page

# 10
leaf
leaf
07/01/2007 10:15 pm
Plain White T's, The Almost, and KissKiss are some cool bands you can check out.
Eat, sleep, and play guitar! :D
Click here to hear my music :)
# 11
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
07/02/2007 6:29 am
Originally Posted by: Raskolnikov
-[Newer] Clutch (Jam Room, The Elephant Riders, Robot Hive/Exodus, Blast Tyrant, their self-titled)

Amen to Clutch! My favourite blues-rock/roots band at the moment - some of the best grooves and riffs around, plus awesome singing and some really good, characterfuil lyrics. Definitely check these guys out if you haven't already.

Don't remember whether they've already been mentioned, but Govt. Mule sound like they're down your street as well.

As for jazz-fusion, you've probably already heard the Mahavishnu Orchestra, but if you haven't, you MUST, they're jaw-dropping on every level. Weather Report are also solid, and for lighter, funkier fusion, try later Miles Davis, John Scofield, Mike Stern (those two both played guitar for Miles), and Soulive.
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 12
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
Weslaba
My Baby's a Fender!
07/02/2007 4:12 pm
I've heard most of those guys at least a little bit. Yeah, I love Gov't Mule. Weather Report is probably one of the greatest jazz combo groups ever. Jaco just lays it down like its nobody's business. Birdland is such an awesome song. Oh man, now I gotta go listen to it again. :rolleyes:

SoundClick Page

# 13
cdm442
cdm442
07/02/2007 5:49 pm
how about boston, ccr, john fogerty, bon jovi, guns and roses, yes, eric clapton, framton, doobie brothers, lynyrd sknyard, and chicago.
I'm complicated, I get frustrated, right or wrong, love or hate it,I'm complicated, you can't sedate it, I've heard that song, but i won't play it, I'm complicated.-Bon Jovi
# 14

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.