How high do you set your standards?

Joseph
Joseph
10/04/2001 3:50 am
You know for a lot of us out of work musicians, after a while we tend to become desperate for a collaboration partner. Especially if that person is on a totally different wave length than us. And chances are, that once we meet that one perspon [/i] who has a different philosophy on music, we'll challenge ourselves in more way than we thought possible. And why shouldnt that be a good thing?

Well, overall, I think it's important to trust our instincts, because we can't always afford to take a chance, in a moment of desperation. If we seriously don't like the direction our partner is taking us, if he refuses to give you enough compromise, than chances are thar he intends to run a one man show.

In a band it's important to work together as a team, but sometimes, we meet those certain types of people who can sense you're in a bind, where they feel that you may find it impossible to say no.

However, in the music business, or even in a friendly situation, it's never good to let the other person see you sweat. Overall, for me it's important to keep an open mind, but if I'm involved in a project, I want to make sure that my ideas will be heard.

There has been more than occasion where I was involved with people who were unwilling to listen to reason, those who werre unwilling to try things the hardway. As a muasiciian, the easy way has never been a option for me, nor would I want to take it. I think that hard work and dedication is the only way you can seek happiness as a musician. Otherwise you're simply just fooling yourself.

Although you may find yourself in tough situations at times, do you find that lately you've been desperate for just about anyone who might walk through that door, with intentions of starting a band? Or after all these years do you still set your standards very high?

-Joseph

www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 1
jarviss
jarviss
10/05/2001 12:46 am
as an older family guy with hardly any free time to start/join a band....i can only guess...

but i think if you were desperate...to play/jam with someone...you could hook up with someone..and if they're
bad or good, compromising or "runnin the show"...
you will learn from them..
learn how to be a better player by jammin
learn how NOT to act.. (if they're jerks or whatever)

but yes,,it would be nice to find that
partner...that musical other half that
challenges you and respects you...
*sigh*
-G
yo
# 2
chris mood
High Bandwidth
chris mood
High Bandwidth
10/05/2001 5:11 pm
Remember, evry opportunity taken opens up new doors. You may hate the project your involved w/right now, but you could meet someone through it and get your dream gig. My philosophy is; be a nice of guy as you can, learn when to speak up and when to shut up, be reliable, let others know that you set high standards for yourself and you expect the same from others,---if you establish a good reputation for yourself others will want to work w/u. Soon your phone will be ringing off the hook & you will get to pick & choose your gigs, until then take anything that comes your way.
# 3
Joseph
Joseph
10/06/2001 1:00 am
Originally posted by chris mood
My philosophy is; be a nice of guy as you can, learn when to speak up and when to shut up, be reliable.

I think it's great to think in terms of longevity, I guess I do my best to make sure that I'm not wasted my time, and also the time of others. When starting a band, there is no such thing as a overnight sensation, (unless you have a rich uncle or something.) I believe in dedication and hard work, and if that's just not something that's on someone's agenda, then like I said, I would want to waste my time.

For me, making music is about more than hopes of being famnous one day. It's all about learning about yourself, and evolving as a person. I've seen too many people come and go who were only interested in the bright lghts, and basically they just burned themselves out too early, and threw away what could have been a strong career in music.

Too many people today set such short deadlines for themselves, based on attaining fame and fortune. Music is in my blood, regardless on whether or not I can make a living off of it for the rest of my life, I don't think I'll ever stop trying to find ways to challenge myself.

-Joseph

www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 4

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.