The Horrible Music Support Group

ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
04/02/2007 11:56 pm
This is the official GT support group for GT members who suffer from a family member who listens to horrible music.

I think I'm gonna murder someone.Im constantly hear my brother listening to either 'I wanna f you' by Akon (WTF??!?!?!!?) and 'Candy shop' by 50 cent. :mad:

My sister listens constantly to Pussycat Dolls (Ugh) all the time since every f'in channel has been f'in spammed with the search for the next pussy cat dolls show. :mad:

Anyone else? :(
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow
Forget about your sin - give the audience a grin
Enjoy it - it's your last chance anyhow.

METOOB
# 1
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
04/03/2007 12:05 am
I'm sorry...I just realized that this is a total violation of forum rules. Tell me if
it needs to be removed. It's more of a mental health thing than flaming thread.

I just heard the song 'girlfriend' by avril lavinge. *Shoots self in nogen*
For life is quite absurd and death's the final word, You must always face the curtain with a bow

METOOB
# 2
Scotttaylor72
Scotttaylor72
04/03/2007 12:46 am
Hmmm... luckily my new bride and I get along musically.

Although I do wonder why people feel the need to blast rap music at the gas station while they're inside paying for their 40s. I swear I've never heard rock or country blaring when I'm pumping gas, but I'll be damned if that effin Akon song isn't blaring all the time. :mad:
# 3
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
Lordathestrings
Gear Guru
04/03/2007 2:24 am
In the summer I ride a monster sport-bike.

With special, very loud horns.

When some doofus pulls up next to me at a light with the bass making his windows bulge, I just grin at him, and hit my horns in time to his 'music'.

Shuts 'em down every time! :D
Lordathestrings
Guitar Tricks Moderator

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 4
quickfingers
quickfingers
04/03/2007 3:00 am
Originally Posted by: Scotttaylor72Hmmm... luckily my new bride and I get along musically.

Although I do wonder why people feel the need to blast rap music at the gas station while they're inside paying for their 40s. I swear I've never heard rock or country blaring when I'm pumping gas, but I'll be damned if that effin Akon song isn't blaring all the time. :mad:

just because of that obvious steriotype, i usually put in some weird sh*t like buckethead when im pumping my gas, or some crazy technical death metal like arch enemy.

hah. one time (trust, this was the first AND last time) i used my friend's cosco card to buy gas becusae it was a *gasp* whole 10 cents cheaper than my local gas station. not only did i wait in a line of at least 5 cars, the motherf**ker in front of me brought his whole arseneal of gas cans to fill up while he was there. anywho, i made the best of it by watching the horrified expressions as i listened to gg allin and cannibal corpse at maximum volume while filling up. (my car's sterio system isnt half bad, neither.)
"the more you know, the less you know. I don't feel like i know shit anymore, but i love it."
-Mike Stern

PERSONAL WANKAGE
# 5
earthman buck
earthman buck
04/03/2007 3:44 am
My family actually doesn't like crap. My brother's a basser, so he listens to the Chili Peppers and Primus (lately) and KISS (which I don't like, but it's better than 50 Cent). My mom just listens to the classic rock stations on the radio, or else Norah Jones and Neko Case and that kinda stuff (which I think is cool, in small doses). My dad's a hardcore bluegrass guy, which I guess bugs me the most because every song sounds the same. That said, it ain't so bad.
# 6
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
04/03/2007 4:01 am
My sisters both have a horrible taste in music in my opinion. One prefers country and the California rock. The other hip hop and rap. However, neither of them leave under the same roof as I.

Momma is pretty good. Paul Simon, Billy Joel, some CCR, and such. She does listen to say Whitney Houston and stuff like that at times, but at least Whitney Houston can sing.

Dad isn't real big on music, but he's typically got something like Steely Dan, Elton John, or Gordon Lightfoot playing. All of which are good imo. He also listens to Christian music at times, which I don't like, but he often doesn't even have music on. So its kept to a minimum.

My roomie prefers country and rap. Never understood that. I don't even think he actually likes rap, hes just under the delusion that if he cranks his bass high and blares the "fad" stuff, girls are gonna think hes cool....Every time I get in his truck, its blared, but he knows well enough to turn it off when I'm in there. The country is the same thing. New country is unbearable imo. Its all the same. But I've rubbed off on him some, so I can sometimes find a CD with decent stuff on it in his truck.

Thats about the extent of my music problems with others. But as its been established, beauty is in the ear of the beholder. If originality, subtlety, and creativity isn't of importance to you, new country and rap is gonna appeal to you.
Let your soul shine. Its better than sunshine. Its better than moonshine. Damn sure better than rain.
# 7
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
Kevin Taylor
Guitar Tricks Instructor
04/03/2007 5:50 am
My dad listens to Lawrence Welk. nuff said...
# 8
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
04/03/2007 9:31 pm
I just hate that they listen to this music cause they're supposed to. I don't give a damn about what people think of mine, because I'm more in the camp of *gasp* freethinkers.

METOOB
# 9
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
04/03/2007 11:44 pm
Me and my room mate have similar tastes. The only thing she gets annoyed at is when I'm playing Black Sheep (an old school rap group). More the reason for me to play it, right?

My brother listens to rap, r & b, indie, rock, and just about everything. It is always good quality musicians from each genre so that doesn't bother me. In fact, I often steal his cd's. I mean, what else are little sisters for.

My dad is a southern rock guy for sure.

My mom love Metallica (earlier stuff) and Ozzy. Also she loves all the hippie nonsense. Kind of odd. She also went though a brief Backstreet Boy phase... thank god that ended.

What REALLY annoys me is that there are these two girls down the hall who leave their door open and blare new country and "gangster" rap and the type of music only mindless... chicks (not the word I wanted to use, but I'm feeling a rule abiding mood today).... but... bahg. I cap a ho.

# 10
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
04/03/2007 11:55 pm
I live alone (Thank God) and I won't let the dog play the stereo. So I play whatever I want ALL THE TIME!!! It's a good life.... :cool:
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 11
quickfingers
quickfingers
04/04/2007 3:41 am
hip hop is wonderful if used correctly, and i see corporate rap just as white and monopolized as i would see garth brooks, ashley simpson, or the all american rejects. its not music if its marketed to make profits in areas other than record companies (i think the american orthodontic association had at least a little bit to do with why grills are popular, and so on)

i can honestly say i listen to so much stuff, that i cant limit it to genres. a few types of music i particularly dont like to listen to for extended periods of time are as follows:

grindcore (unless its like, 30 seconds of it, and its tasteful, and its playing in the backround while someone is shooting up a shopping mall or something)

screamo-i dont need to say anything about this. ive honestly never encountered a more limiting genre of music than "Screamo". from the get-go, you already know the formula as if it was an iron maiden song (no offense, but we've kindof realized their formula by now). youve got the soft intro with lame chord arpegiations that sound so generic it could be on a billboard; then you;ve got the soft-spoken verse that is meant to get one teary-eyed; then the chorus rolls around and *gasp* heres where the SCREAMO comes into play! what a novel concept. it might be okay if bands like that didnt categorize themselves into that, resulting in systematic loss of creativity due to the fact that if they change their song structure, it wont be screamo anymore.
"the more you know, the less you know. I don't feel like i know shit anymore, but i love it."
-Mike Stern

PERSONAL WANKAGE
# 12
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
04/04/2007 10:24 am
u guys shud be lucky to have family with music interest even..because ive grown up in a gay music environment (no thanks to my sister in her teeny bop days), i was pretty music a deprived child..if i had a chance, id go back in time and punch me in the head..so ive never really heard classic songs..its embarrasing sometimes though when i go out and ppl go like.."omg havent u heard of them??" same goes with tv shows...ah well such is life and i have rum tonight..oh and ill be watching kaki king tomorrow..so im still awesome.. :D
[FONT=Impact]grooviest tunes ever [/FONT]
# 13
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
Leedogg
Grizzled Veteran
04/04/2007 1:47 pm
Originally Posted by: iihollyWhat REALLY annoys me is that there are these two girls down the hall who leave their door open and blare new country and "gangster" rap and the type of music only mindless... chicks (not the word I wanted to use, but I'm feeling a rule abiding mood today).... but... bahg. I cap a ho.

Are they any of these girls?

White chicks and gang signs.
Blues is easy to play, but hard to feel.
My YouTube Profile
# 14
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
04/04/2007 5:45 pm
Speaking of the Akon song "I Wanna F You", I was seriously dumbfounded when I first heard that song.

If you are an artist....who essentially speaks in rhythm to processed music....AT LEAST MAKE AN ATTEMPT TO WRITE SOME GOOD LYRICS!!!

Sorry, that song is saddening though.
Let your soul shine. Its better than sunshine. Its better than moonshine. Damn sure better than rain.
# 15
ericthecableguy
ericthecableguy
04/05/2007 11:08 pm
Originally Posted by: grizzlymintSpeaking of the Akon song "I Wanna F You", I was seriously dumbfounded when I first heard that song.

If you are an artist....who essentially speaks in rhythm to processed music....AT LEAST MAKE AN ATTEMPT TO WRITE SOME GOOD LYRICS!!!

Sorry, that song is saddening though.

+68979652347584362875246375897943758943985437958929782907892437958027349857243908572349587927920730927380927890272907984372590237495

I thought it was a joke by jack black or something the first time i heard. HORRIBLE!!!!

METOOB
# 16

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.