Just need to vent

MAVERIC777
Full Access
MAVERIC777
Full Access
03/02/2007 2:08 pm
Ok last night had a friend over. My friend, wife and I where sitting in the living room and I was showing my buddy some stuff I picked up on the guitar. He is interested in picking it up so I was even trying to show him some easy chords. Well my wife proceded to turn the tv on and started cranking it up trying to over play the guitars. Well we live in an apartment and there realy isent alot of areas to go in the place to play (plus my buddy is nearly 7ft tall... living room had to be the place). Well after it gets to the point im loosing my place in a song due to the fact the tv is srewing me up I just put the axes up and gave up. This sort of thing has happend more than once. Well not exactly the same but close. Well what pisses me off is most people who dont play an istrument have no idea how much time, sweet, dedication, determination, and all that other stuff it takes to get good at it. Seems alot of folks have absolutly no respect for sacrifices people have made to get to the level they are. I am in no way a Kenny Wayne Shephard but I can play some songs and it sounds decent. I made up my mind I am done telling folks I play. I am not going to quit, I'll just lock myself in my room and work on it. Am I wrong for getting frustrated with this?
A man isen't measured by how far he has traveld in life, but how he made the jurney. ;)

MySpace
# 1
hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
03/02/2007 2:26 pm
No, I wouldn't think you're wrong for being frustrated. And you're right, people who don't play have a tough time appreciating the amount of time, dedication and passion that playing requires. I am sure that there are things that your wife is in to that you may not appreciate on the same level that she does. Doesn't lessen what she does, right?

I know this sounds like trite, Dr. Phil kinda stuff but you gotta talk to her about it. Explain that what she did was kinda rude and that if she was bothered by your playing that night, she should have talked to you about it rather than doing the dueling sounds routine.

My ex used to do that sort of stuff too. But she did it just to piss me off. We were a wonderful couple! :D
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 2
aschleman
aschleman
03/02/2007 2:37 pm
Yeah, people that don't play guitar don't really "get it". They assume that it's easy because, honestly... when you sit back and watch someone play that knows how to play... it SHOULD look easy (to someone that doesn't know anything about guitar). That's why you always will have these people that will see you play and say "I want to learn, TEACH ME!!!". Then you show them a chord or two and they realize that it's harder than it looks... It happens all the time where people get excited about learning guitar and they go out and buy a guitar and realize that it actually takes time and patience to learn how to play... You're right on that one...

As for the whole situation... My girlfriend doesn't like it when I play loudly when she's trying to watch television or do something either. I more than often get one of my electrics out and play with that... so it's much more quiet... Or I'll put my headphones on. Like you said, it's hard to get away when you're in an apartment. The best advice is really what Hunter said... you have to talk to her about it and see what she thinks about it. Another thing that I like to do is play outside... When the weather is nice I'll go somewhere outside and play. Sorry about the frustration but it kind of falls under that whole "compromise" relationship clause... haha
# 3
earthman buck
earthman buck
03/02/2007 5:30 pm
Sometimes I'll be playing guitar, and my brother will tell me to keep it down because he's watching [some ridiculous crap]. I tell him to go to hell, then I crank it as loud as it goes and just led it feed back while I read a book.

Of course, that's the kinda thing that ends relationships. So maybe just talk to her about it.
# 4
MAVERIC777
Full Access
MAVERIC777
Full Access
03/02/2007 5:42 pm
Yea... im going to bring it up tonight. Didn't want to say anything last night due to the fact I was still irritated about it. I try to calm a bit before I bring stuff like this up (been known to be a little harsh with words at times... I dont yell or curse her.... but I am blunt and hatefull sometimes with what I say trying to get over that...or kinda controle it). I guess I get so frustrated because I always try to give the person respect for what they did and try to show me, and I would like to have the same respect for my work. A guy I work with has his own recording studio at home. He does alot of songs in the kinda rap/r&b catigory. Soooo not the music I listen to. "BUT" when he bringds something up for me to listen to I give it my full attention. To be honest it really is good so that makes it easier to listen to...lol.
A man isen't measured by how far he has traveld in life, but how he made the jurney. ;)

MySpace
# 5
aschleman
aschleman
03/02/2007 5:43 pm
Originally Posted by: earthman buckSometimes I'll be playing guitar, and my brother will tell me to keep it down because he's watching [some ridiculous crap]. I tell him to go to hell, then I crank it as loud as it goes and just led it feed back while I read a book.

Of course, that's the kinda thing that ends relationships. So maybe just talk to her about it.

Haha.

Unrelated to relationships... but when I lived in my old apartment with a few friends... the lady under us had a small yippy dog that she would let out at 5:30 in the morning and she would close the sliding door and the dog would seriously bark non-stop for about 15-20 minutes.......... and wake me up becuase it was right below my window. So... for every morning that she did that.... I would crank my JCM 800 up to about 6 or so and rock out some Pantera at about 12:30am........ the first night I did it she complained. She came up and asked "what in the sam hell i thought i was doing".... "i told her that i thought it was acceptable to wake people at obscene hours.... i was just following your example.".... She let her dog out again the next day and I did the same thing.... She came up and complained and said next time she'd calling the cops... I told her that I don't call the cops... the next time her dog wakes me up at 5:30 in the morning I'm going to shoot it... THEN she can call the cops... She didn't let her dog out at 5:30 anymore.
# 6
MAVERIC777
Full Access
MAVERIC777
Full Access
03/02/2007 5:45 pm
Originally Posted by: earthman buckSometimes I'll be playing guitar, and my brother will tell me to keep it down because he's watching [some ridiculous crap]. I tell him to go to hell, then I crank it as loud as it goes and just led it feed back while I read a book.

LOL.... to be honest I probabuly would not been near as mad if it wasent for the fact she was turning that stupid "Sweet 16" show on Mtv. My god I phisicaly hate that show.

MySpace
# 7
iceandhotwax
iceandhotwax
03/02/2007 8:38 pm
you might consider headphones ..
# 8
MAVERIC777
Full Access
MAVERIC777
Full Access
03/02/2007 9:13 pm
Yea I got head phones but I had a friend over that has known me for years and he finaly sat down to listen to me play.

MySpace
# 9
iceandhotwax
iceandhotwax
03/02/2007 9:26 pm
uhh.. for the tv...
# 10
quickfingers
quickfingers
03/03/2007 6:29 am
YO.

the ONLY time its acceptable to watch that show (or not get irritated if your girl watches it) is if you both mutually make fun of it together. my ex girlfriend used to love that ****, and she would know i hated it and would pretend to hate it too when she'd stay over. i guess thats 95% of girls, but i actually found a truly intelligent (beginning to think she's smarter than i am) and hot girl that can rip shows like that a new one with me, so it makes it 10x more tolerable.
"the more you know, the less you know. I don't feel like i know shit anymore, but i love it."
-Mike Stern

PERSONAL WANKAGE
# 11
grizzlymint
grizzlymint
03/03/2007 6:51 am
Originally Posted by: AkiraTurn your amp up to 11 and rip the bitch a new a.

Those words of wisdom courtesy of Akira....hahahahahaha, 11.
Let your soul shine. Its better than sunshine. Its better than moonshine. Damn sure better than rain.
# 12
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
z0s0_jp
Riffologist
03/03/2007 8:37 am
I have had a number of friends ask me to teach them....I show them a G and a D and tell them to bounce back and forth between the the two "like this" and they try it and say "F this!! it is way to hard!!!!"
when people actually try and play chords they figure out really quick how much learning and repititious practice it takes.
"Dammit Jim!! I'm a guitarist not a roadie...so haul my gear"
# 13
silentmusic
silentmusic
03/03/2007 9:54 am
Originally Posted by: AkiraTurn your amp up to 11 and rip the bitch a new a.

Haha rep points for that one haha :D
Akira says;
"i was expecting some 3476 string string skipping with some 23489172343 octave sweeps and some alt picking runs at 345734237623572bpm in 234872364781246164516th notes across your 2384723648724627348623478264 fret guitar"
# 14

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.