*attention Grabbing Title*

earthman buck
earthman buck
11/07/2006 12:36 am
We have a show in 3 days, and we don't have many songs. We kinda threw some music together randomly the other day, so I did the same with words just now in the hopes of creating an entire song. The verses are very soft and kinda Sonic Youth-ian, while the chorus (in italic) is fairly death metal-y, so it's fairly friggin odd. Unfortunately, I can't show you the music, so onto the words.

----------------

It's probably hard to save the world
I cannot say I've tried
There are things I much prefer,
like making puppets with my eyes
It's the least that I can do
to pretend there's stuff I'll miss
Get in the dark, get outside
have a look at this

And if you want to
I'll introduce you now
I don't have many
days left here anyhow

A friend returned the other day
Dead although he never died
Brother pass the novocaine
the clouds are eating up the sky

----------------

Do you think it's 3-days-away-show worthy, or no? Be honest. Also, if you don't think it's total crap, do you have any name suggestions?
# 1
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
11/07/2006 3:07 am
3 days...thats quite alot of pressure..i went on youtube and checked sonic youth out...i sorta have an idea how it might sound like...the lyrics are pretty short...im not sure if you're going to play it slow...but one thing ive realised is that playing too slow tend to bore listeners out...but thats if you're playing considerably slow...the lyrics are great so far the rythm in the first verse is great..but maybe u shud put more in near the end? i guess experimenting cud be fun..having a death metal-ish chorus...it can be tricky to pull off i guess...id say keep developing it...but it depends on how you want it to sound like...
[FONT=Impact]grooviest tunes ever [/FONT]
# 2
earthman buck
earthman buck
11/07/2006 3:47 am
Originally Posted by: jeffhx3 days...thats quite alot of pressure..i went on youtube and checked sonic youth out...i sorta have an idea how it might sound like...the lyrics are pretty short...im not sure if you're going to play it slow...but one thing ive realised is that playing too slow tend to bore listeners out...but thats if you're playing considerably slow...the lyrics are great so far the rythm in the first verse is great..but maybe u shud put more in near the end? i guess experimenting cud be fun..having a death metal-ish chorus...it can be tricky to pull off i guess...id say keep developing it...but it depends on how you want it to sound like...

Well, I have kind of a bridge thing that I could put lyrics to....or not. I've sorta set it aside as a back-up chorus in case this death metal one doesn't work out, which I'm not certain it will. I was thinking for the end we should just keep with the Sonic Youthiness and kinda go wild with the dissonance.

I would have written more lyrics, but it's extremely hard for me to come up with stuff that I find interesting without sounding pretentious. I'm not so convinced I've done it with the words I have there, anyway. :rolleyes:
# 3
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
jeffhx
Disco Bandit
11/07/2006 7:41 am
yea i guess its quite hard to be articulate sometimes when it comes to writing..always does my head in...i think u shud stick with the sonic youth theme...and let us know how u go...just get out there and have fun
[FONT=Impact]grooviest tunes ever [/FONT]
# 4
ren
ren
11/07/2006 4:01 pm
If it needs to run longer, jump key, rinse and repeat....

works every time.... ;)

Check out my music, video, lessons & backing tracks here![br]https://www.renhimself.com

# 5
acapella
acapella
11/07/2006 5:16 pm
Originally Posted by: earthman buck
There are things I much prefer,
like making puppets with my eyes

Brother pass the novocaine
the clouds are eating up the sky

I liked those parts. To be honest I didn't think you tried very hard on the rest, I mean the lyrics seem kind of...obvious? Too literal? I'm sure you know what I mean. But at any rate, as long as they fit with the music (which, of course, they do), we'll use it. The show's the day after tomorrow, dude.

Not trying to put down your song, just saying that you could do better and you know it.
You go outside and practice screaming. We'll play music while you're gone.
# 6
earthman buck
earthman buck
11/07/2006 10:22 pm
Originally Posted by: acapellayou could do better and you know it.

That's the nicest thing you've ever said to me, but I disagree. If it took me about 16 hours of thinking, scribbling, and crossing out to come up with this song, think how long it would take me to write a good song. At least a lifetime.
# 7
speedpicker88
speedpicker88
11/08/2006 3:18 am
well I like song titles that Don't repeat or say themselves in the songs. Kind of like Led Zeppelin and some of the early metallica songs.
Some of my song titles inclue
the Evil within
The Man with no face
Pink Homicide
Slaughter your enemies
Societys lie.

I like to have the title give off some kind of mood in the song, but not completely tell what its about. I want people to be able to listen to it and tell me what they think its about.
"Fire, to being whipping dance of the dead, blackened is the end, to being whipping dance of the dead, color our world Blackened."
# 8
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
11/14/2006 8:04 pm
I like the lyrics; and if you want to make your song run longer, either do as Ren said, or just throw in a big instrumental section, plus a solo. Deep Purple did it all the time :D
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.