Guitar improv help/tips

dvenetian
dvenetian
12/24/2006 11:39 am
Originally Posted by: buckethead14oh okay....so u have to change to pattern due to the fact that moving it up one string exactly would give you the wrong note.....
now that i know the modes how do i incorporate that into a solo that i want to make up...lets just say that the key signature is C...how would i use something like the phyrgian mode for C..and what would that be called again?...D phyrgian right?

E-phrygian mode relates to the C Major scale.
D-phrygian mode would relate to A#/Bb Major.
Bucket, the best advice I can offer you is to focus on learning your Major scales (aka The Ionian mode) for all twelve notes in music. It's the key function. Doe-rey-me-fa-so-la-te-doe. Chords derive from scales. Everything you want to learn relates to the Major scale. After you master the Majors then focus on the minors, which also derive from the Major scale. Every note has a relative minor (it's the sixth note "la" of the Major scale).
The relative minor for C Major would be Am, G Major/Em (one of Maidens Favorites), A Major/F#m and so on.
What would be the relative minor for F Major?
Modes derived from the Major scale use the same notes, they just accent the sound a little bit because they start from a different note other than the Major root (Ionian). I'll explain using the same sentence but accent on different words.
"I" love playing my guitar.
I "love" playing my guitar.
I love playing "my" guitar.
All the same words, they just sound a little different when the emphasis is put on a different part of the sentence. It's the same with modes.
# 1
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
12/24/2006 5:46 pm
Originally Posted by Damo
Hi everyone,

I wrote this tutorial a little while back when I was teaching guitar at a music school. I will eventually give more tutorials. This one is a short explanation of the seven modes with some descriptions and chord progressions to play against.

Keep Learning and having fun.

Ionian Mode

Description
The Ionian Mode is the scale you get when you play one octave up from the first note of a major scale. This mode has the same step-pattern as the major scale, which means, C Ionian is also the C major scale. This mode has a naturally occurring dominant fifth chord, which indicates the fifth note G (in C Ionian) can be used as a dominant chord; i.e. G7. This pure and happy sounding mode can be heard in nursery rhymes such as Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and I?m a Little Tea Pot.

Quality
Happy, Merry, Upbeat, Cheerful

Music Styles
Rock, Country, Jazz, Fusion, Folk Songs, Nursery Rhymes

Tonic Chords
Unaltered major chords; i.e. C, C6, Cmaj7, Cmaj9, C6/9, Cadd9, Cmaj13

Improvising
Try the C Ionian over this chord progression: C, F, G7, C

Dorian Mode

Description
The Dorian Mode is the scale you get when you play one octave up from the second note of a major scale. D Dorian starts on the second note of the C major scale. Dorian is a minor sounding mode, which, is commonly used in Jazz, Blues and Irish folk songs. This mode can be heard in the folk song Scarborough Fair and the timeless classic Eleanor Rigby by the Beatles. The Dorian Mode differs from the major scale because it has a flat 3rd (b3) and a flat 7th note (b7).

Quality
Jazzy, Soulful, Sophisticated

Music Styles
Jazz, Blues, Fusion, Rock

Tonic Chords
Unaltered minor chords; i.e. Dm, Dm6, Dm7, Dm7sus4, Dm9, Dm11, Dm13

Improvising
Try the D Dorian over this chord progression: Dm7, Fmaj7, Cmaj7, Em7

Phrygian Mode

Description
The Phrygian Mode is the scale you get when you play one octave up from the third note of a major scale. E Phrygian starts on the third note of the C major scale. This sad, exotic sounding mode is often found in Spanish, Hebrew and Gypsy music. Robert Plant from Led Zeppelin used this mode in his song Calling to you and the great Miles Davis featured this mode extensively in his inspiring album Sketches of Spain. The Phrygian Mode differs from the major scale because it has a flat 2nd (b2), a flat 3rd (b3), a flat 6th (b6) and a flat 7th note (b7).

Quality
Spanish, Exotic, Dark

Music Styles
Flamenco, Fusion, Speed Metal

Tonic Chords
Minor chords; i.e. Em, Em7, Em7b9, Em11 (no 9)

Improvising
Try the E Phrygian over this chord progression: Em, Fmaj7, Em7, Am7

Lydian Mode

Description
The Lydian Mode is the scale you get when you play one octave up from the fourth note of a major scale. F Lydian starts on the fourth note of the C major scale. Compared to the major scale, the fourth step of the Lydian Mode may sound a little strange; however, this sharpened fourth note (#4) is what gives this mode its modern and uplifting tonality. The theme songs from the popular TV cartoons The Simpsons and The Jetsons are both based on the Lydian Mode.

Quality
Airy, Hollow, Light

Music Styles
Jazz, Fusion, Country, Rock

Tonic Chords
Major chords; i.e. F, F6, Fmaj7, Fmaj7b5, Fmaj7#11, Fadd9, Fmaj9, Fmaj13

Improvising
Try the F Lydian over this chord progression: Fmaj9, Cmaj7, Bm7b5, Cmaj7

Mixolydian Mode

Description
The Mixolydian Mode is the scale you get when you play one octave up from the fifth note of a major scale. G Mixolydian starts on the fifth note of the C major scale. The Mixolydian is also known as the dominant 7th scale because it is suited to dominant 7th chords. Blues guitarists like the great B.B. King, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Santana and Eric Clapton have often used this mode in their songs. Norwegian Wood by the Beatles is based on this mode. The Mixolydian Mode differs from the major scale because it has a flat 7th note (b7). This is why it sounds Bluesy and Mellow.

Quality
Bluesy, Mellow

Music Styles
Blues, Country, Rock, Rockabilly

Tonic Chords
Unaltered dominant chords; i.e. G7, G7sus4, G9, G11, G13

Improvising
Try the G Mixolydian over this chord progression: G7, Cmaj7, Dm7, Am7

Aeolian Mode

Description
The Aeolian Mode is the scale you get when you play one octave up from the sixth note of a major scale. A Aeolian starts on the sixth note of the C major scale. This sad sounding mode is also known as the relative or natural minor scale and is often found in Pop and Rock songs. The solo in Stairway to Heaven by Jimmy Page from Led Zeppelin is in this mode. The Aeolian Mode differs from the major scale because it has a flat 3rd (b3), a flat 6th (b6) and a flat 7th note (b7).

Quality
Sad, Sorrowful

Music Styles
Pop, Rock, Blues, Heavy Metal, Fusion, Country, Classical

Tonic Chords
Minor chords; i.e. Am, Am7, Am7sus4, Am add9, Am9, Am11

Improvising
Try the A Aeolian over this chord progression: Am, C, G, Em

Locrian Mode

Description
The Locrian Mode is the scale you get when you play one octave up from the seventh note of a major scale. B Locrian starts on the seventh note of the C major scale. This strange sounding mode is very unstable, due to the fact it has a flat 5th note (b5) in its scale. The half-diminished seventh chord (m7b5) suits this mode, however, you?ll find this mode is rarely used at all. Sad but True by Metallica has a Locrian feel in the main riff. The Locrian Mode differs from the major scale because it has a flat 2nd (b2), a flat 3rd (b3), a flat 5th (b5), a flat 6th (b6) and a flat 7th note (b7).

Quality
Sinister, Anxious, Haunting

Music Styles
Jazz, Fusion, Dark Metal

Tonic Chords
Diminished triad or Half-diminished chords; i.e. Bmb5, Bm7b5

Improvising
Try the B Locrian over this chord progression: Bm7b5, Am7, F, C

I hope you enjoyed the tutorial.

Damo

`
Keep practising to develop skills, study to gain knowledge and most importantly,
keep on writing and jammin' those tunes to develop the creative side.

Damo
www.jordie.com.au - The Free Tutorial Website

Another member wrote this awhile back. It shows which modes to use in what situations. Depending on the mood and feel you want to put out.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

"If it feels right, play it. If it feels wrong, play it faster” - Magicninja
www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 2
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
12/24/2006 5:47 pm
Originally Posted by Damo
Hi everyone,

I wrote this tutorial a little while back when I was teaching guitar at a music school. I will eventually give more tutorials. This one is a short explanation of the seven modes with some descriptions and chord progressions to play against.

Keep Learning and having fun.

Ionian Mode

Description
The Ionian Mode is the scale you get when you play one octave up from the first note of a major scale. This mode has the same step-pattern as the major scale, which means, C Ionian is also the C major scale. This mode has a naturally occurring dominant fifth chord, which indicates the fifth note G (in C Ionian) can be used as a dominant chord; i.e. G7. This pure and happy sounding mode can be heard in nursery rhymes such as Twinkle Twinkle Little Star and I?m a Little Tea Pot.

Quality
Happy, Merry, Upbeat, Cheerful

Music Styles
Rock, Country, Jazz, Fusion, Folk Songs, Nursery Rhymes

Tonic Chords
Unaltered major chords; i.e. C, C6, Cmaj7, Cmaj9, C6/9, Cadd9, Cmaj13

Improvising
Try the C Ionian over this chord progression: C, F, G7, C

Dorian Mode

Description
The Dorian Mode is the scale you get when you play one octave up from the second note of a major scale. D Dorian starts on the second note of the C major scale. Dorian is a minor sounding mode, which, is commonly used in Jazz, Blues and Irish folk songs. This mode can be heard in the folk song Scarborough Fair and the timeless classic Eleanor Rigby by the Beatles. The Dorian Mode differs from the major scale because it has a flat 3rd (b3) and a flat 7th note (b7).

Quality
Jazzy, Soulful, Sophisticated

Music Styles
Jazz, Blues, Fusion, Rock

Tonic Chords
Unaltered minor chords; i.e. Dm, Dm6, Dm7, Dm7sus4, Dm9, Dm11, Dm13

Improvising
Try the D Dorian over this chord progression: Dm7, Fmaj7, Cmaj7, Em7

Phrygian Mode

Description
The Phrygian Mode is the scale you get when you play one octave up from the third note of a major scale. E Phrygian starts on the third note of the C major scale. This sad, exotic sounding mode is often found in Spanish, Hebrew and Gypsy music. Robert Plant from Led Zeppelin used this mode in his song Calling to you and the great Miles Davis featured this mode extensively in his inspiring album Sketches of Spain. The Phrygian Mode differs from the major scale because it has a flat 2nd (b2), a flat 3rd (b3), a flat 6th (b6) and a flat 7th note (b7).

Quality
Spanish, Exotic, Dark

Music Styles
Flamenco, Fusion, Speed Metal

Tonic Chords
Minor chords; i.e. Em, Em7, Em7b9, Em11 (no 9)

Improvising
Try the E Phrygian over this chord progression: Em, Fmaj7, Em7, Am7

Lydian Mode

Description
The Lydian Mode is the scale you get when you play one octave up from the fourth note of a major scale. F Lydian starts on the fourth note of the C major scale. Compared to the major scale, the fourth step of the Lydian Mode may sound a little strange; however, this sharpened fourth note (#4) is what gives this mode its modern and uplifting tonality. The theme songs from the popular TV cartoons The Simpsons and The Jetsons are both based on the Lydian Mode.

Quality
Airy, Hollow, Light

Music Styles
Jazz, Fusion, Country, Rock

Tonic Chords
Major chords; i.e. F, F6, Fmaj7, Fmaj7b5, Fmaj7#11, Fadd9, Fmaj9, Fmaj13

Improvising
Try the F Lydian over this chord progression: Fmaj9, Cmaj7, Bm7b5, Cmaj7

Mixolydian Mode

Description
The Mixolydian Mode is the scale you get when you play one octave up from the fifth note of a major scale. G Mixolydian starts on the fifth note of the C major scale. The Mixolydian is also known as the dominant 7th scale because it is suited to dominant 7th chords. Blues guitarists like the great B.B. King, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Santana and Eric Clapton have often used this mode in their songs. Norwegian Wood by the Beatles is based on this mode. The Mixolydian Mode differs from the major scale because it has a flat 7th note (b7). This is why it sounds Bluesy and Mellow.

Quality
Bluesy, Mellow

Music Styles
Blues, Country, Rock, Rockabilly

Tonic Chords
Unaltered dominant chords; i.e. G7, G7sus4, G9, G11, G13

Improvising
Try the G Mixolydian over this chord progression: G7, Cmaj7, Dm7, Am7

Aeolian Mode

Description
The Aeolian Mode is the scale you get when you play one octave up from the sixth note of a major scale. A Aeolian starts on the sixth note of the C major scale. This sad sounding mode is also known as the relative or natural minor scale and is often found in Pop and Rock songs. The solo in Stairway to Heaven by Jimmy Page from Led Zeppelin is in this mode. The Aeolian Mode differs from the major scale because it has a flat 3rd (b3), a flat 6th (b6) and a flat 7th note (b7).

Quality
Sad, Sorrowful

Music Styles
Pop, Rock, Blues, Heavy Metal, Fusion, Country, Classical

Tonic Chords
Minor chords; i.e. Am, Am7, Am7sus4, Am add9, Am9, Am11

Improvising
Try the A Aeolian over this chord progression: Am, C, G, Em

Locrian Mode

Description
The Locrian Mode is the scale you get when you play one octave up from the seventh note of a major scale. B Locrian starts on the seventh note of the C major scale. This strange sounding mode is very unstable, due to the fact it has a flat 5th note (b5) in its scale. The half-diminished seventh chord (m7b5) suits this mode, however, you?ll find this mode is rarely used at all. Sad but True by Metallica has a Locrian feel in the main riff. The Locrian Mode differs from the major scale because it has a flat 2nd (b2), a flat 3rd (b3), a flat 5th (b5), a flat 6th (b6) and a flat 7th note (b7).

Quality
Sinister, Anxious, Haunting

Music Styles
Jazz, Fusion, Dark Metal

Tonic Chords
Diminished triad or Half-diminished chords; i.e. Bmb5, Bm7b5

Improvising
Try the B Locrian over this chord progression: Bm7b5, Am7, F, C

I hope you enjoyed the tutorial.

Damo

`
Keep practising to develop skills, study to gain knowledge and most importantly,
keep on writing and jammin' those tunes to develop the creative side.

Damo
www.jordie.com.au - The Free Tutorial Website

Another member wrote this awhile back. It shows which modes to use in what situations. Depending on the mood and feel you want to put out.
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 3
esprocker
esprocker
12/26/2006 2:18 am
I was troubled by modes for the longest time! but they are really not that difficult: The Dorian Mode is the second position/mode of any scale. Ex: D Dorian is the second mode of C. Phrygian's are the third mode in any scale. E Phrygian is the third mode of C. Lydian's are the fourth mode. F Lydian is the fourth mode of C. Mixolydian's are the fifth mode of any scale. G Mixolydian is the fifth mode of C. Aeolian's- the sixth mode of any scale. A Aeolian is the 6th mode of C. Locrian's- the 7th mode of any scale. B Locrian is the 7th mode of C. The eighth mode would bring you back to the first, which is called Ionian.
Just to clarify, these are all scales! Basically they are different variations of the same scale. The patterns remain the same no matter what key you are playing in. However they do change depending on whether you are playing Major or Minor, for example, if you are playing C Major, the Mixolydian scale, which would be G Mixolydian, would have a different shape than if you were to be playing C Minor.
Just an FYI, all of the scales in any key have the same notes. They are simply played at different octaves, therefore having different sounds.
# 4
buckethead14
buckethead14
12/26/2006 5:08 am
wow!! thank u guys a lot!.... i am really satisfied with what you taught me....plz dont close this thread yet cuz i want to print out most of this stuff....thank you all guys....i will make a new thread if i have a new question that is named the same
Buckethead
# 5
wreckens
wreckens
12/26/2006 8:53 am
Originally Posted by: magicninjaAnother member wrote this awhile back. It shows which modes to use in what situations. Depending on the mood and feel you want to put out.

hmm all we gotta do is remember right?
# 6
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator
12/27/2006 12:24 am
Yeah pretty much. :)
Magicninja
Guitar Tricks Moderator

# 7

12/27/2006 1:16 am
Here`s some links to lessons available on Guitartricks. These cover many aspects of improvising in many styles. Regardless of the style you wish to cover, the principles are the same so do not disregard a lesson because of the style but look at the principle presented and I`m sure you`ll be able to apply them to your own.

Nick Marchant as made a extensive 15 lessons tutorial on improvising in the spanish/gypsy style

http://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=9901&s_id=212

HPCRAZY has a 8 lessons tutorial on rock. His lesson #7 covers basic improv using the minor pentatonic scale. Full access member will enjoy the video where HPcrazy explains it all in depth.

http://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=9820&s_id=195

Another cool HPCRAZY lessons on improv is this one where he explains how to build a solo using themes and improv with licks.

http://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=9819

If you love theory then that a look at this Ben Lindholm lesson on improv.

http://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=9726

Doug Fearman tutorial "PLAYING OVER Amaj7-Gmaj7" as a very interesting lesson on improv

http://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=9261&s_id=153

The Ace as a 13 lesson tutorial on modes. In the last lesson, the ace gives us his way of applying modes to song creation. Not improv per say but still some information that you can use towards improv.

http://www.guitartricks.com/lesson.php?input=7382

Hope these links gives you some new ideas
# 8

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.