View post (Guitar improv help/tips)

View thread

dvenetian
dvenetian
12/24/2006 11:39 am
Originally Posted by: buckethead14oh okay....so u have to change to pattern due to the fact that moving it up one string exactly would give you the wrong note.....
now that i know the modes how do i incorporate that into a solo that i want to make up...lets just say that the key signature is C...how would i use something like the phyrgian mode for C..and what would that be called again?...D phyrgian right?

E-phrygian mode relates to the C Major scale.
D-phrygian mode would relate to A#/Bb Major.
Bucket, the best advice I can offer you is to focus on learning your Major scales (aka The Ionian mode) for all twelve notes in music. It's the key function. Doe-rey-me-fa-so-la-te-doe. Chords derive from scales. Everything you want to learn relates to the Major scale. After you master the Majors then focus on the minors, which also derive from the Major scale. Every note has a relative minor (it's the sixth note "la" of the Major scale).
The relative minor for C Major would be Am, G Major/Em (one of Maidens Favorites), A Major/F#m and so on.
What would be the relative minor for F Major?
Modes derived from the Major scale use the same notes, they just accent the sound a little bit because they start from a different note other than the Major root (Ionian). I'll explain using the same sentence but accent on different words.
"I" love playing my guitar.
I "love" playing my guitar.
I love playing "my" guitar.
All the same words, they just sound a little different when the emphasis is put on a different part of the sentence. It's the same with modes.