2x12 About to buy..need advice.

jreach
I am the Great Cornholio!
jreach
10/17/2006 3:50 pm
Hey All:

First, its been awhile since I posted so I hope I havn't missed much. Still keeping up my sub but life got busy.

That said, my old (Very Old) peavy backstage 50 finally is on its last leg. Can't tell exactly what is hosed but the bass sound is heavily distorted/muffled. Guessing voicecoil or speaker but initial inspection proved those two wrong...

Anyhow, got a few guitar buddies coming into town for a big party and jam session. Wife gave me roughly 250 to spend on a new amp. I really would like to go with a nice 2x12 or 2x10 that has enough sound to carry a small room over a drummer. I went to the local guitar center and tried a crate and line 6. The line 6 was nice (a little higher than I want to spend) but problem I have with buying it is I already have a Pod XT...a bit redundant.

So I have read about 200 reviews of the behringer v-tone 2x12 (GMX212) and I am thinking of going this route. Curious if anyone else has some advice.

I play classic rock and some easy listening stuff. But mainstay's are AC/DC type stuff, with some texas style blues thrown in.

Fender strats and Les Pauls are primary guitars.
I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it. That's technical talk.
—SRV
# 1
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
10/18/2006 2:53 am
Since you've already got a PODxt, why don't you look for a keyboard amp? You can probably find a used Peavey keyboard amp for a decent price, and will get grate results like this. This setup sounds really good, because the keyboard amp is designed to give a flat response. They can usually get pretty loud too. It's almost like running your POD through a mini PA. I'd sugget taking your PODxt along with you when looking for an amp, and see how it sounds. Try different "what are you connecting to" settings to see what works best.

Or, you could get a >Crate PowerBlock< and a cabinet like >this one<. I've heard some soundclips of the PowerBlock, and was extremely impresse with it! It sounded like it would be just right for what you'll be playing. You could also use it as a dedicated power amp for your PODxt.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 2
jreach
jreach
10/18/2006 12:26 pm
PRS - Thanks for the reply. I had considered doing just that, but after giving it alot of thought was really wanting to step up to a 2x12/2x10 for the stereo sound. Also, although I did play through my pod xt with my Peavy, I am not sure when playing live if I would do that as I do not have a pedal control unit for the pod and changing setup would be a pain, except maybe for a whole set or something.

When I looked at the Behringer 2x12 I figured it would meet my imediate needs and future needs for about a 2 year time frame. After which I will be in the hunt for a good tube 2x12 or half stack.

Anyhow, I have read alot of good reviews on th Behringer amp but last night I was at Guitarlodge and they blasted anything Behringer. Now, I don't know if its because Behringer is crap or if it was because they are not a Vox or Crate.

By the way I tried a Crate 2x12 (forget the model) and it was great for heavy crunch but the clean was horrid. Might have been a bad amp or my crappy setup at the GC. I also tried the Line 6 Spider 2x12 and it was sweet, just a bit pricey (wife is holding me to 250 for this purchase) and not sure how much better it would be than the Behringer.
I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it. That's technical talk.
—SRV
# 3
PRSplaya
Full Access
PRSplaya
Full Access
10/18/2006 12:42 pm
A 2x12 stereo combo isn't going to sound much,if any, more stereo than a 1x12. The reason is, to get the full stereo effect, you need space between the speakers. 2 - 1x12 cabinets would give you a much better stereo spread than 1 - 2x12 cabinet.

I would go with the Line6 over the Behringer any day! Not trying to knock the Behringer, because they do make decent gear for the price, but they just don't hold a candle to Line 6 gear. I'd try to save up a little more so you can get an amp that you won't get tired of after a month. Also, a 1x12 amp can be plenty loud enough to jam with a drummer. Especially in a not so big area. I've had no problems keeping up with a very loud drummer in a very large room with a Peavey Valveking 1x12 combo. That would be a great amp for what you're looking or, but a bit out of your price range.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype]Tonja Renee's personal instructor[/FONT]

>HERE'S WHERE I AM NOW<
# 4
valvemaster212
valvemaster212
10/21/2006 1:06 am
I don't know how your financial situation is but you might want to hold out for a good tube amp. The sound is incredible (tube preamp and power section). The only thing is, most people don't the sound difference is worth the price difference. I think it is, but that is just my opinion. Good luck with your search. Laser.
# 5

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.