View post (2x12 About to buy..need advice.)

View thread

jreach
I am the Great Cornholio!
jreach
I am the Great Cornholio!
10/17/2006 3:50 pm
Hey All:

First, its been awhile since I posted so I hope I havn't missed much. Still keeping up my sub but life got busy.

That said, my old (Very Old) peavy backstage 50 finally is on its last leg. Can't tell exactly what is hosed but the bass sound is heavily distorted/muffled. Guessing voicecoil or speaker but initial inspection proved those two wrong...

Anyhow, got a few guitar buddies coming into town for a big party and jam session. Wife gave me roughly 250 to spend on a new amp. I really would like to go with a nice 2x12 or 2x10 that has enough sound to carry a small room over a drummer. I went to the local guitar center and tried a crate and line 6. The line 6 was nice (a little higher than I want to spend) but problem I have with buying it is I already have a Pod XT...a bit redundant.

So I have read about 200 reviews of the behringer v-tone 2x12 (GMX212) and I am thinking of going this route. Curious if anyone else has some advice.

I play classic rock and some easy listening stuff. But mainstay's are AC/DC type stuff, with some texas style blues thrown in.

Fender strats and Les Pauls are primary guitars.
I use heavy strings, tune low, play hard and floor it. Floor it. That's technical talk.
—SRV