Alice in chains is better than nirvana

hunter60
Humble student
hunter60
Humble student
08/08/2006 12:44 am
I don't know, maybe I am becoming the middle-aged man I am afraid I am becoming but quite frankly, I never really cared for either band. I think that they both offered some decent songs but nothing that was going to set the world on fire. But then again, I was convinced that once REO Speedwagon earned a platinum album, I thought both pop and rock were doomed. ( I was wrong of course, but hey....)
[FONT=Tahoma]"All I can do is be me ... whoever that is". Bob Dylan [/FONT]
# 1
jiujitsu_jesus
jiujitsu_jesus
08/08/2006 12:51 am
I'd pick Alice In Chains as the more sophisticated and instrumentally skilled band, but I think Nirvana had a creative energy and lyrical honesty that AIC just didn't quite have. Both were important and talented bands.

Also, +1 for mentioning Silverchair - but I've got to say, Frogstomp is actually my least favourite Silverchair album. I prefer Freak Show.
"It's all folk music... I ain't never heard no horse sing!"
- Attributed variously to Leadbelly and Louis Armstrong

If at first you don't succeed, you are obviously not Chuck Norris.

l337iZmz r@wk o.K!!!??>
# 2
metalshadow
metalshadow
08/08/2006 1:58 am
Like many of you I think that AIC was more talented, but in terms of just having presence, Nirvana takes it hands down. They were much more interesting lyrically and although Kurt had the skill of a newborn on guitar, he could use the few chords he knew and do amazing things with them for his time. I can't think of another band that has had such a big influence on rock.
# 3
iiholly
hmm
iiholly
hmm
08/08/2006 2:04 am
Originally Posted by: metalshadowLike many of you I think that AIC was more talented, but in terms of just having presence, Nirvana takes it hands down. They were much more interesting lyrically and although Kurt had the skill of a newborn on guitar, he could use the few chords he knew and do amazing things with them for his time. I can't think of another band that has had such a big influence on rock.

The Beatles!

I think Alice in Chains had much more interesting lyrics, not that I don't like Nirvana lryics. I just feel sometimes, especially now, Nirvana is a teenage angst band... and Alice in Chains is more than that.

These are just opinions of course. And power chords never impress me. I compare Nirvana to Green Day with their use of power chords. It gets very old, very fast.

# 4
metalshadow
metalshadow
08/08/2006 2:20 am
How could I forget the Beatles?! *is ashamed of self*
# 5
earthman buck
earthman buck
08/08/2006 4:31 am
Originally Posted by: Jolly McJollysonI could be wrong...but based on those statements, I'm willing to bet you've never heard Alice in Chains before.

Actually, I have all their albums except for Sap and MTV Unplugged. I was just exaggerating to make my point, which no one really cared about anyway.

Ah, GT.
# 6
acapella
acapella
08/08/2006 5:26 am
You know what I think? That most of you don't want to like Nirvana because everybody likes Nirvana. I know because I feel the same way. Nirvana is super-hyped and all manner of idiots claim to like it, and this sickens and apalls me. But as much as I wish I liked something more underground, the fact is Nirvana is irresistible because they are so great. Most bands get boring really fast, and/or you have to try to like them. I have neither problem with Nirvana. As much as they may lack musical talent, at least they don't suck.
You go outside and practice screaming. We'll play music while you're gone.
# 7
earthman buck
earthman buck
08/08/2006 5:31 am
Originally Posted by: acapellaYou know what I think? That most of you don't want to like Nirvana because everybody likes Nirvana.

Really? I think they probably just like music that sounds challenging.
# 8
acapella
acapella
08/08/2006 5:52 am
Could be that. I still stand by what I said.
# 9
metalshadow
metalshadow
08/08/2006 6:11 am
Originally Posted by: jiujitsu_jesusI'd pick Alice In Chains as the more sophisticated and instrumentally skilled band, but I think Nirvana had a creative energy and lyrical honesty that AIC just didn't quite have. Both were important and talented bands.

Also, +1 for mentioning Silverchair - but I've got to say, Frogstomp is actually my least favourite Silverchair album. I prefer Freak Show.

I have seen Silverchair come up a few times, and thought that I would post this:
http://www.chairpage.com/news/news.htm

A friend in Australia told me that they sound a lot like they did during the freakshow/frogstomp era. He said that they have a great stage presence and that they are playing like they never stopped.
# 10
aschleman
aschleman
08/08/2006 11:27 am
There is a lot of Nirvana and Kurt Cobain instilled in Silverchair... but I like them a TON more than Nirvana. To me, they take what Nirvana was and put it at that next level. And yes, I'll take credit for mentioning them. haha.

To comment on what acapella said about people disliking Nirvana because everyone likes him. I think that's true to an extent. Most people that like technical bands like Dream Theatre, for example, dislike Nirvana. Mosyl becaue subconsiously they can't understand why a band like Nirvana and a simplistic style of music like grunge could be so popular where as a great band like Dream Theatre is largely a cult favorite without mass popularity.

I never said I don't listen to Nirvana from time to time... I own the Unplugged album and the Live From The Muddy Banks of The Wishkah (or whatever it is)... I've always thought that there were much better bands out there... and I've always been more of a Pearl Jam fan than a Nirvana fan specifically...

It's all a matter of taste though... just like sooooooo many other topics.
# 11
metalshadow
metalshadow
08/08/2006 12:18 pm
Originally Posted by: aschlemanThere is a lot of Nirvana and Kurt Cobain instilled in Silverchair... but I like them a TON more than Nirvana. To me, they take what Nirvana was and put it at that next level. And yes, I'll take credit for mentioning them. haha.

To comment on what acapella said about people disliking Nirvana because everyone likes him. I think that's true to an extent. Most people that like technical bands like Dream Theatre, for example, dislike Nirvana. Mosyl becaue subconsiously they can't understand why a band like Nirvana and a simplistic style of music like grunge could be so popular where as a great band like Dream Theatre is largely a cult favorite without mass popularity.

I never said I don't listen to Nirvana from time to time... I own the Unplugged album and the Live From The Muddy Banks of The Wishkah (or whatever it is)... I've always thought that there were much better bands out there... and I've always been more of a Pearl Jam fan than a Nirvana fan specifically...

It's all a matter of taste though... just like sooooooo many other topics.

Dude, mad respect for bringin up Theatre. Gotta love them.

And you had the Wishkah thing right. I love that album. Along with the unplugged, they are nirvanas best work. And In Utero.
I also agree with your Pearl Jam sentiments. They continue to amaze me to this day.
# 12
earthman buck
earthman buck
08/08/2006 4:20 pm
I as well like most bands that came out of that era/area. Nirvana, AIC, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Mudhoney....that's all good stuff.
# 13
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
08/08/2006 4:43 pm
Originally Posted by: acapellaYou know what I think? That most of you don't want to like Nirvana because everybody likes Nirvana. I know because I feel the same way. Nirvana is super-hyped and all manner of idiots claim to like it, and this sickens and apalls me. But as much as I wish I liked something more underground, the fact is Nirvana is irresistible because they are so great. Most bands get boring really fast, and/or you have to try to like them. I have neither problem with Nirvana.[/QUOTE]
It can't be that because Nirvana is so infectious to you, you can't comprehend why it is that they can bore somebody else?

Personally, I'm quite at odds with the "GT stereotype" -- for starters, I'm a bassist, my roots are in the "Alternative" music of the 90's and Dream Theater and Steve Vai induce me to power-nap. Need proof? My favorite band, ever is Morphine.

That said, I can only enjoy Nirvana in limited doses. [In terms of Seattle bands] I've always been a much bigger fan of Soundgarden and Alice in Chains and if I want to listen to something more in the lines of Nirvana, I'll throw in 7 Year B*tch or The Gits over Nirvana any day. I just find all of those bands more lyrically, dynamically, rhythmically and compositionally interesting.

AiC very much typifies what I'm talking about here: They were absolutely unafraid to show off their 80's hair-metal roots, venture into intricate, layered vocal harmonies, play with chord voicings, mix Country with Rock and Metal, turn 4/4 time in against itself or strip everything down to a one chord stomp. Everybody in that band found quirky, unique ways of doing things that you don't hear anywhere else -- even in the legions of Nu-Metal imitators who try so hard to follow in AiC's footsteps but never measure up.

Recognizable as Nirvana may be, their musical DNA comes almost directly from The Melvins and Mudhoney and the likes of Bush had their formula down squarely within only a few years.

[QUOTE=aschleman]It's all a matter of taste though... just like sooooooo many other topics.

^^^^^

Don't get me wrong, though...

I love discussing this stuff.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 14
earthman buck
earthman buck
08/08/2006 5:14 pm
Originally Posted by: RaskolnikovPersonally, I'm quite at odds with the "GT stereotype" -- for starters, I'm a bassist, my roots are in the "Alternative" music of the 90's and Dream Theater and Steve Vai induce me to power-nap. Need proof? My favorite band, ever is Morphine.

Morphine, huh? Given your musical roots, I'd probably like them too. What are some of your favourite songs?

And while we're on the topic of AIC, what do you guys think of Jerry, Sean and Mike going on a 'reunion' tour with Phil Anselmo as a singer?
# 15
alucard0941
alucard0941
08/08/2006 6:05 pm
Originally Posted by: aschlemanTo comment on what acapella said about people disliking Nirvana because everyone likes him. I think that's true to an extent. Most people that like technical bands like Dream Theatre, for example, dislike Nirvana. Mosyl becaue subconsiously they can't understand why a band like Nirvana and a simplistic style of music like grunge could be so popular where as a great band like Dream Theatre is largely a cult favorite without mass popularity.

Couldnt of said it better. Honestly, I dislike both bands, but thats besides the point. It occurs to me now that the people like you mentioned, only like music for because of its technical side. They examine music as if it were a science and dont really listen to the song. Whether Nirvana had good or bad songs is totally subjective, but if anyone hates Nirvana because of their lack of technical ability but acknowledges their songwritting skills, then they dont truly understand music. You cant judge the quality of music on how fast, or how sophisticated it is. It then appeals too much to the brain and not enough to the heart.
__
/--\
o-/-||-\-o
o-/ -||- \-o
o-\ -||- /-o
\___/
|--|
|--|
|--|
:eek:

My Music

whoooo hoooo !!!!
# 16
earthman buck
earthman buck
08/08/2006 7:00 pm
Here's something kind of interesting I just realized:

Although I keep saying I like Nirvana more than AIC, I would rather listen to AIC than Nirvana in many cases. I figure this is because Nirvana was the first band I ever really liked. Although I still enjoy Nirvana quite a lot, I've heard all of their songs so many times I could very well just never listen to them ever again, whereas Alice in Chains has songs in which I notice new things each time.
# 17
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
08/09/2006 12:20 am
Originally Posted by: earthman buckMorphine, huh? Given your musical roots, I'd probably like them too. What are some of your favourite songs?[/quote]
All Your Way, The Night, In Spite of Me, Do Not Go Quietly Unto Your Grave, Candy, Buena, I'm Free Now, Have A Lucky Day, I Know You (Part II), I Know You (Part III), You're An Artist, Cure For Pain, Like Swimming, Empty Box, All Wrong, Wishing Well...

I could keep going.

[QUOTE=earthman buck]And while we're on the topic of AIC, what do you guys think of Jerry, Sean and Mike going on a 'reunion' tour with Phil Anselmo as a singer?

Phil's voice is WAY too gone to handle Layne's vocals.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 18
acapella
acapella
08/09/2006 4:04 am
I was listening to some Soundgarden today while I was working, and realized that I in fact like them more than either Alice in Chains or Pearl Jam, and almost as much as I like Nirvana. As Brendon said, they were pretty much the first band I ever liked. For that reason they will probably always be my favourite. Soundgarden has musical skill without being boring, and that's something grand indeed. In fact, out of the big four, Soundgarden is probably my all-around favourite.
# 19
aschleman
aschleman
08/09/2006 11:14 am
Originally Posted by: acapellaSoundgarden has musical skill without being boring, and that's something grand indeed. In fact, out of the big four, Soundgarden is probably my all-around favourite.

Check out Temple of the Dog then. It was a one album side project between Soundgarden and Pearl Jam. Some of the songs have Eddie Vedder and Chris Cornell trading off vocals like 'Hunger Strike' and 'Times of Trouble'. Mike McCready of Pearl Jam also lends some lead guitar work to the project. It's one of my favorite... lesser known... albums from that era. Check out the two songs I mentioned above and also 'Say Hello 2 Heave', 'Call Me a Dog', and 'Pushin Forward Back'. You should like'em.
# 20

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.