View post (Alice in chains is better than nirvana)

View thread

Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
08/08/2006 4:43 pm
Originally Posted by: acapellaYou know what I think? That most of you don't want to like Nirvana because everybody likes Nirvana. I know because I feel the same way. Nirvana is super-hyped and all manner of idiots claim to like it, and this sickens and apalls me. But as much as I wish I liked something more underground, the fact is Nirvana is irresistible because they are so great. Most bands get boring really fast, and/or you have to try to like them. I have neither problem with Nirvana.[/QUOTE]
It can't be that because Nirvana is so infectious to you, you can't comprehend why it is that they can bore somebody else?

Personally, I'm quite at odds with the "GT stereotype" -- for starters, I'm a bassist, my roots are in the "Alternative" music of the 90's and Dream Theater and Steve Vai induce me to power-nap. Need proof? My favorite band, ever is Morphine.

That said, I can only enjoy Nirvana in limited doses. [In terms of Seattle bands] I've always been a much bigger fan of Soundgarden and Alice in Chains and if I want to listen to something more in the lines of Nirvana, I'll throw in 7 Year B*tch or The Gits over Nirvana any day. I just find all of those bands more lyrically, dynamically, rhythmically and compositionally interesting.

AiC very much typifies what I'm talking about here: They were absolutely unafraid to show off their 80's hair-metal roots, venture into intricate, layered vocal harmonies, play with chord voicings, mix Country with Rock and Metal, turn 4/4 time in against itself or strip everything down to a one chord stomp. Everybody in that band found quirky, unique ways of doing things that you don't hear anywhere else -- even in the legions of Nu-Metal imitators who try so hard to follow in AiC's footsteps but never measure up.

Recognizable as Nirvana may be, their musical DNA comes almost directly from The Melvins and Mudhoney and the likes of Bush had their formula down squarely within only a few years.

[QUOTE=aschleman]It's all a matter of taste though... just like sooooooo many other topics.

^^^^^

Don't get me wrong, though...

I love discussing this stuff.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons