just thought i'd share this

Fenderblues
Fenderblues
07/26/2001 7:37 pm
Did a gig recently, went fantasic except for an annoying little B*****D who insisted on standing up infront of me trying to emulate guitar playing to several piesces then shaking his beer bottle soaking us and most of all my B****Y guitar, then for and encoure at the interval jumpeped into the drummers seat banged the drums the when bollocked by the bass player he knocked over the bass guitar, chipping the head.

When confronted by the bassist he laughed and refused any appoligy or recompence.

While be egged on by his two thick mate's he followed me to th loo, trying his luck, BIG F*****n mistake, after I dragged his batterd and bleeding body back in to the room I had the last laugh,
for his mate shut up, appologise and the pub laughed at him and the landlord banned him.

on his departure i informed him that by night I play guitar in a band, by day I'm bad tempered, well built and very short on tollorence for idiots, oh, yeah 20 years martial artist's experience and love my guitar so much that I deemed violence the way to go.

I hate violence and hitting people, but man he got me going, wrote this post to express my shame into being brought down to his level and to get it off my chest.

SORRY if this post offends
While I'm sat here, Playin', I'm tryin' to free my mind!
# 1
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
07/26/2001 7:41 pm

You could have saved yourself a lot of trouble and a broken bass guitar by just caving his head in at the beginning after he had the nerve to spew beer all over you guys.
# 2
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
07/26/2001 10:08 pm
Most musicians (and martial artists) in my experience it seems are pacifists, or prefere to be non violent. Regardless, we work in a business that involves a lot of time entertaining drunks. With drunks come drunk idiots. I think we can all see where that paragraph is going, and I should get right to the point.

We must defend the stage.

Now bouncers are supposed to do that for us, but sometimes they can't see what's going on, or if it's a small place their is no bouncer, so the defense of the stage falls to the band. This is an uncomfortable thing for most of us, but the fact is we can't just let people run all over our shows. Talking is a good place to start, hopefully things can be reasoned out (the words "cut you off" placed after the words "I'll have the bartender" can be effective here). But sometimes somebody still insists on messing with your stuff. What happens at this point is up to you. I know a guy who swatted a woman in the face with the peg head of his 12 string Ovation mid verse. He pretended he never saw her and she never requested another song (much less climbed on stage to confront him) again.

Usually things can be talked out, but the fact remains that equipment is expensive and people shouldn't get the idea that they can just climb on up on stage and screw with the band/ their stuff. People must realize that "no" indeed means "no."
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 3
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
Christoph
is Super Fabulous
07/26/2001 11:05 pm

Hence the aforementioned "head-caving".
# 4
Alan Moorhouse
Alan Moorhouse
07/26/2001 11:20 pm
Isn't there always an a??hole who wants to sing "Mustang Sally"!? And when you say no, YOU'RE the one who's in a sh?t band that can't play!

But yeah, these jerks don't understand how expensive gear is.

I once knew a bass player whose name was Fenderhead because he took some clown off the stage with a Precision Bass to the side of the head - good call when they won't take NO for an answer. I think his name was Paul Fernandes, from Leicester - anybody heard of him in the UK?
;) Reelin' in the years...
# 5
Joseph
Joseph
07/29/2001 1:27 am
Originally posted by Fenderblues
I dragged his batterd and bleeding body back in to the room I had the last laugh,
[/B]

I know how frustrating it can be when you're playing at what seems like the best shows of your life, and then some drunken loser wants to try his luck in ruining such a wonderful concert.

Its safe to say that everyone doesn't have the same intentions when going to see a show, some people choose to create their own excitement as if the music isn't enough, and its true that you can only turn the other cheek so many times, especially when this persons actions is affecting the show tremendously.

But keep in mind that these idots who come to rock shows for a fight, they aren't thinking straight, and theres a very good chance that they wont remember a thing the next morning. (Then again, its safe to say you gave him something to remember..) But yes, I'm very meticulous with my equipment, and think I would stop the show before some overzealous fan tried to break one of my prized instruments. You can't always take problems into your own hands, because one act of violence doesn't always end peacefully, because its very easy to start a riot makng it seem like a few punches here and there is part of the show.

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 6
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator
07/29/2001 3:56 am
That guy I know who clocked the lady with his 12 string used to know this bassist down in Florida or something who used to wait for fights to break out and move right to the edge of the stage. Now apparantly he wasn't a very good bassist but he was a very large man. Anyway, once a combatant got close enough to the stage he'd hammer fist them, and usually put them out of commission right there.

Talking is usually the best way to end a roudy situation though. Nobody has to wake up brused that way.
Raskolnikov
Guitar Tricks Moderator

Careful what you wish for friend
I've been to Hell and now I'm back again

www.GuitarTricks.com - Home of Online Guitar Lessons
# 7
Joseph
Joseph
07/29/2001 4:42 am
Originally posted by Raskolnikov
Anyway, once a combatant got close enough to the stage he'd hammer fist them, and usually put them out of commission right there.

And you would think that music is the best way for a person to release their frustrations...Personally, Ive just seen too many situations that were handled poorly, where violence could have been avoided in more ways than one. When you're playing on stage, you always have to worry about others, and you never know when someone from the audience just might try to throw everything off track. But thats why its best to try and communicare with your audience on many different levels and to try and speak their language. Sometimes its not enough to just rattle off one song after another, its important to try and get in touch with their emotions, giving them a place to store their anger for later...

-Joseph
www.ragmagazine.com
"Swoop and soar like the blues angels."
# 8
Fenderblues
Fenderblues
07/29/2001 4:54 pm
well some response, did not expect positive posts to this, thanks.

I don't know how true this is, but, a band from manchester I know of are supposed to bet each other how many fingers they can stan on at a concert/gig and how many times they can do it to the same person. A LITTLE CRUEL and RIDICULOUS.

if it is true the drummer would have to have super long legs and the inteligence to understand the rules and game.
While I'm sat here, Playin', I'm tryin' to free my mind!
# 9

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.